Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Default Hiking in the Rockies

Hi,

I will be traveling through the rockies at the end of June and have six days to hike around. I have only driven through in the past and was wondering if anyone could recommend some places to explore. I would describe myself as a strong hiker having done plenty of back country sheep hunting.

I am interested in both multiple-day trips and and also just some single day trips.

I would love to see some Big Horn sheep in the park if anyone knows of a good spot and I am not afraid of hiking a long way to do this.

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 PM

There's so many to choose from, but there are a lot of nice hikes in Kananaskis Country and in Waterton with a good chance of seeing bighorns.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:31 PM

North, do you have specific route you will be travelling? If so I am sure a few of us could better help you then.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-11-2011, 05:31 PM

Suggest you purchase "The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide", by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson, Summerthought Press.

This book will definitely help you make the most of the limited time you have, no matter the weather or the trail conditions.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM

A better book for your situation is "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies" by Cathy & Craig Copeland"

P
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
North, do you have specific route you will be travelling? If so I am sure a few of us could better help you then.
I will be coming in from the trans Canada (Hi-way 1) from BC and will travel wherever I find the best hikes. I will have a 4x4 and full camping gear so am prepared for whatever I need. Thanks for the suggestions on hiking guides. I will look those up. Still would value the opinion of anyone who has some favorite hikes to recommend. Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Gone Fishing

If you are near Jasper, you just need to drive towards Hinton from Jasper approximatly 10kms. and you can see Big Horn sheep right along the highway. As for hikes, in Jasper area:
1) Geraldine Lakes
2)Tonquin valley(multi day )
3)Watchtower Basin
4)Nigel Pass(multi day)
5) Pyramid Mtn.(scramble)

I could go on, but here is a link you can use should you be in that area.

http://hikejasper.com/
Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 AM

For a day trip, try the 10km hike into Allstones Lake. What I have done in the past is park at Abraham Lake ( west of Nordegg on highway 11), the trailhead is on the north side of the highway. When you get higher up, you will see sheep. Saw my very first blue grouse there as well years ago. Another option is Landslide Lake. Park at the Thompson Creek??? campround on Highway 11 just east of the Banff Park boundary. It is about a 20km hike up to the lake. I have never taken it, but there is a trail that goes past the lake and loops around. Get yourself the book " David Thompson Country, A Hiking Guide", it will show you trails for day hikes and multi day pack trips.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Any of the hikes I would suggest are found in the book I reco'd (FYI anything with a 3 - 4 boot rating)... I don't want to suggest anything specific b/c there would be some personal pref/bias involved - my wife and I are pretty hardcore so what would be good for us, may not be for you...

I think they even have some right ups from the book online somewhere...

P
Old 06-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
A better book for your situation is "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies" by Cathy & Craig Copeland"

P
X2!! Don't waste your time with any other book!! Very good!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
If you are near Jasper, you just need to drive towards Hinton from Jasper approximatly 10kms. and you can see Big Horn sheep right along the highway. As for hikes, in Jasper area:
1) Geraldine Lakes
2)Tonquin valley(multi day )
3)Watchtower Basin
4)Nigel Pass(multi day)
5) Pyramid Mtn.(scramble)

I could go on, but here is a link you can use should you be in that area.

http://hikejasper.com/
All these are great hikes......If I was you I would definatly check out the website hikejasper.com. Great site with great info and photos. Hope you have a great trip