Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

I have no issues if any elected member went to a game or activity like this. I just doubt Jack would have done this, and if he did, he would not have used his own money. And that is the issue to me.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it, but the cost must have been considerable. How many aides and security personnel do you think he had with him? The jet, armoured limo... Can't see the hockey game costing taxpayers under $100,000. That said the PM has to have some free time and security is part of the deal. My only comment would be that he would have been wiser politically to spend that money to attend a game in Vancouver and tack on a little business. Not the end of the world however.

Would we have vehemently defended Prime Minister Jack Layton attending a game in Boston? Only you can answer tht one. LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it, but the cost must have been considerable. How many aides and security personnel do you think he had with him? The jet, armoured limo... Can't see the hockey game costing taxpayers under $100,000. That said the PM has to have some free time and security is part of the deal. My only comment would be that he would have been wiser politically to spend that money to attend a game in Vancouver and tack on a little business. Not the end of the world however.

Would we have vehemently defended Prime Minister Jack Layton attending a game in Boston? Only you can answer tht one. LOL
Only extra cost was the time the jet was in the air. All of his aides, security, military etc already get a cheque regardless if they are in Ottawa or Boston. The guy needs a life too and he is bound by security regulations......he went to hockey game...big deal. Nice to see a dad and his daughter spending some time together. I doubt you'd have seen Jack at a hockey game but if he was PM and he flew with his kid to see the ballet, I'd say good on him. Everyone needs to the occasional day off.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Only extra cost was the time the jet was in the air. All of his aides, security, military etc already get a cheque regardless if they are in Ottawa or Boston.
I'm not sure his security detail is the same size whether he's sitting home in Sussex drive or moving through a major city in another country. Many of them would have been there the day before checking out the arena, the route to the arena... incurring hotel room, meals, transport, other expenses not incurred in Ottawa. They didn't just all hop a single plane down there that afternoon and grab a cab to the game, it doesn't work that way.

Anyways, I'm only discussing true cost, not whether the expenditure was right or wrong. It's not that freakin' important.

Last edited by Okotokian; 06-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I would believe the cost of going to the game in Boston would be considerably less than going to Vancouver. Flight time to Boston from Ottawa would be under 2 hours and Vancouver would likely be 5-6 hours going west in that plane.
All the other costs for security are sunk costs.
Great to see Harper take some time with his daughter. Can you imagine the poor girl listening to this type of BS from the media (and others) about spending an evening with her father?

I'm surprized to hear that Jack has children, considering his reported preferences for tissue paper.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I doubt you'd have seen Jack at a hockey game but if he was PM and he flew with his kid to see the ballet, I'd say good on him. Everyone needs to the occasional day off.
LOL. That I could see him doing. And then phoning in to CBC radio 1 and giving a play by play.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure his security detail is the same size whether he's sitting home in Sussex drive or moving through a major city in another country. Many of them would have been there the day before checking out the arena, the route to the arena... incurring hotel room, meals, transport, other expenses not incurred in Ottawa. They didn't just all hop a single plane down there that afternoon and grab a cab to the game, it doesn't work that way.

Anyways, I'm only discussing true cost, not whether the expenditure was right or wrong. It's not that freakin' important.
I would probably guess as a visiting dignitary the secret service and or local FBI would handle the brunt of the security work..
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I would probably guess as a visiting dignitary the secret service and or local FBI would handle the brunt of the security work..
That's probably true. Not sure what the proportion would be. Anyway, my only thought when I initially saw him there on TV was "Oh, cool".
Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
like I said I don't care about it, it's non news to me really and if it were layton or martin or chretien I wouldn't care either,it's their money and they can spend it however they want just like anybody else, I am pointing out the hypocracy that is in politics and people of both sides that if my guy does it it's ok , and if the other guy does it it's terrible.
Like it or not, Steve IS your guy. He is the Prime Minister of the country in which you are a citizen. But to put your mind at ease, read back a few posts and you'll see that others have stated as I have that if Jack had attended a hockey game, no of us would have a hissy fit. But we all know that Jack attends much more private steamy functions
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
I would believe the cost of going to the game in Boston would be considerably less than going to Vancouver. Flight time to Boston from Ottawa would be under 2 hours and Vancouver would likely be 5-6 hours going west in that plane.
All the other costs for security are sunk costs.
Great to see Harper take some time with his daughter. Can you imagine the poor girl listening to this type of BS from the media (and others) about spending an evening with her father?

I'm surprized to hear that Jack has children, considering his reported preferences for tissue paper.
I'm glad to not be having a coffee right now.....that's 2 funny! lol
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM

The only thing that makes me mad about this is that I didn't go to the game! Seriously, if that is what we have to worry about, we got it pretty darn good. People up in arms that the leader of a hockey nation went to see a hockey game. What a joke.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Like it or not, Steve IS your guy. He is the Prime Minister of the country in which you are a citizen. But to put your mind at ease, read back a few posts and you'll see that others have stated as I have that if Jack had attended a hockey game, no of us would have a hissy fit. But we all know that Jack attends much more private steamy functions
I realize he is my guy thanks for pointing it out for me though

I just have a funny feeling that if this was the other way around it wouldn't be the same, and people saying it is just a defence trying to seem non hypocritical,personally what politicans do in their personal lives is their business,I couldn't care less if harper went to all the games,was gay and married, or if he had 4 wifes as long as he is a good pm that's all that concerns me, some people get too wrapped up in others lives mr massage parlor
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Air fare to Boston.......$50,000
Security team..............$30,000
2 hotdogs, 1 beer, one pepsi.....$20
2 tickets to game ..........$1000

Watching Vancouver get owned........Priceless.:sHa_shakes hout:

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
I realize he is my guy thanks for pointing it out for me though

I just have a funny feeling that if this was the other way around it wouldn't be the same, and people saying it is just a defence trying to seem non hypocritical,personally what politicans do in their personal lives is their business,I couldn't care less if harper went to all the games,was gay and married, or if he had 4 wifes as long as he is a good pm that's all that concerns me, some people get too wrapped up in others lives mr massage parlor
And what if, for some obscure reason, he was just a regular guy like you and me taking his daughter to a hockey game, period. But then again, he's slightly above a regular guy wouldn't you say? He's the boss, he's got a huge agenda, one that you likely couldn't handle yourself otherwise I'm sure that you'd be in the running for his job. But all in all, considering that he's at the helm of one of the most politicaly stable and most economically grounded nations in the world, he travels pretty darn low key, wouldn't you say? He attended a hockey game....he didn't go to get lubed and stroked at a some parlor in the midst of NDP territory as your patron saint Jack did.

And why is it that you hate Steve so much? Is it because he won't give you an another 4 bucks an hour to subsidize the day care costs. Damn it, if you can't afford kids, you shoulda invested in cable TV or a box of rubbers.

Last edited by gitrdun; 06-10-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
And what if, for some obscure reason, he was just a regular guy like you and me taking his daughter to a hockey game, period. But then again, he's slightly above a regular guy wouldn't you say? He's the boss, he's got a huge agenda, one that you likely couldn't handle yourself otherwise I'm sure that you'd be in the running for his job. But all in all, considering that he's at the helm of one of the most politicaly stable and most economically grounded nations in the world, he travels pretty darn low key, wouldn't you say? He attended a hockey game....he didn't go to get lubed and stroked at a some parlor in the midst of NDP territory as your patron saint Jack did.

And why is it that you hate Steve so much? Is it because he won't give you an another 4 bucks an hour to subsidize the day care costs. Damn it, if you can't afford kids, you shoulda invested in cable TV or a box of rubbers.
where have I said I hate steve or that I was poéd at the hockey game or anything, I have said that it's rediculous that people care about this at all it's not even news to me really, why do you get so defensive and lash out when someone doesn't even say anything about harper?.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 PM

stop holding back gitrdone tell us how you really feel.
I'm proud to have a PM that can be normalish, Don't have him sitting with Obama there might be a stray shot!
Nice to see a PM with nothin to hide
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Personally, I hate Stephen Harper. But I think this whole issue is stupid. Maybe I'm not Canadian enough to expect the PM to take Greyhound or something, but I just can't get onboard with bashing him for going to the game.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 AM

And the week before, he flew into Afghanistan to meet the troops. Nobody complained about that feel good trip. HE'S OUR PRIME MINISTER! If he wants to skip out to see a hockey game go for it! He earns a few perks by being the number one dog!