Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Default my two cents and don't waste em cuz Im poor

I just bought my first deer rifle and I am a little proud of it. I`ve been shopping for it for at least 15 years. Oh, I`ve owned and hunted with a .303 (mahogany) and a .270 (walnut) that chance brought my way as time went by. Gorgeous guns and I hate them. I have always wanted the gun I just bought.

It`s a 7mm-08. I took it to Homestead yesterday and fired a box of Cor Lokt through it and oh, what a relief to fire a gun that does not scare the hell out of me. This sweet gun comes to my shoulder and fits me perfectly, it is neither too heavy nor too light.

This delightful gun, that I have yearned for for so long and can scarcely afford, with which I will kill as many deer as possible as long as I can walk the woods, is some kind of black plastic. A stained birch wood version would have cost an extra hundred bucks but I work for $13 per hour.

Anyone who says my new rifle a is piece of crap can jolly well go to aitch ee double hockey sticks and by the way, I don`t care for your opinion on any other subject.

Everyone knows there`s nothing more beautiful than natural wood. SO FRUITIN WHAT! If you`re going to use that fact - and it is a fact, there`s nothing more beautiful than nice, natural wood - to totally disrespect a more affordable material that balances and wears abuse perfectly, then I say go high falute yourself.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
Cat , that is too cool. What is it please and tell a little about it if you would.
It's an original Winchester highwall in 38/55, with a factory #4 taper and set trigger to boot!
I'm still waiting on the tool box that comes with it , it contains the breech seater, two different molds, bullets brass, load data , etc.
this gun was sold to me by the second owner, who used it for cast bullet shooting using smokeless - Unique and 4759 IIRC.
The scope is a Unertl return to battery 12X, super optics even today!
Cat
Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I just bought my first deer rifle and I am a little proud of it. I`ve been shopping for it for at least 15 years. Oh, I`ve owned and hunted with a .303 (mahogany) and a .270 (walnut) that chance brought my way as time went by. Gorgeous guns and I hate them. I have always wanted the gun I just bought.

It`s a 7mm-08. I took it to Homestead yesterday and fired a box of Cor Lokt through it and oh, what a relief to fire a gun that does not scare the hell out of me. This sweet gun comes to my shoulder and fits me perfectly, it is neither too heavy nor too light.

This delightful gun, that I have yearned for for so long and can scarcely afford, with which I will kill as many deer as possible as long as I can walk the woods, is some kind of black plastic. A stained birch wood version would have cost an extra hundred bucks but I work for $13 per hour.

Anyone who says my new rifle a is piece of crap can jolly well go to aitch ee double hockey sticks and by the way, I don`t care for your opinion on any other subject.

Everyone knows there`s nothing more beautiful than natural wood. SO FRUITIN WHAT! If you`re going to use that fact - and it is a fact, there`s nothing more beautiful than nice, natural wood - to totally disrespect a more affordable material that balances and wears abuse perfectly, then I say go high falute yourself.
I'm not sure what your issue is , whether or not your scared of some guns, or simply have an attitude towards something like a utilitarian 303 British, or whether or not you think that wood guns are just not as good as other stuff.
Whatever it is, I think you have some anger issues to get past, because you are the only one here being REALLY aggressive and boastful IMO, but then that's just me.
Most guys that shoot synthetic stocked guns can get along with those of us that don't , and we don't offer up insults like you just did, either.
have a nice evening - oh, and there is nothing to hate about either a 270 or 303 british, you need to get past that and quit hurling insults to others in general or I fear you will not be around this site for long....
Cat
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Shooting this with ANYTHING but a wood stock while wearing my derby hat would be just wrong- well maybe a Stetson style would suffice!!
Cat
Cat, that is a classy shooter. I wish it was in my safe.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Wood for pretty and plastic for durability/fuctionality.........of course price of the rifle/gun plays an important role as well...........I have a few wood stocks because the price was right for them but my first choice will always be plastic.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Finally found the picture of Jerry and his rifle.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 AM

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Cat, that is a classy shooter. I wish it was in my safe.
it sure is, and the fact that the barrel and stock are in the condition they are is simply amazing, given its age!
Can't wait for the loading tools to get here!
Cat
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely you realize there's different grades of 'plastic' just as there are different grades of wood? Haven't seen a 'wood' interior in most vehicles, but certainly have seen different qualities of plastic interior.

Of Course , I have several different "inert" stocked rifles. Fibreglass..kevlar, ect............Tupperware.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely you realize there's different grades of 'plastic' just as there are different grades of wood? Haven't seen a 'wood' interior in most vehicles, but certainly have seen different qualities of plastic interior.

Of Course , I have several different "inert" stocked rifles. Fibreglass..kevlar, ect............Tupperware.
You now understand the benefit of "plastic".

-Billy Molls
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's-Eye View Post

Nice!!! What is it?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Nice!!! What is it?
It's a Cooper with upgraded wood and a lot of custom options.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's a Cooper with upgraded wood and a lot of custom options.
Yes! The top is a Custom Cooper .17 HMR and the bottom is an Anschutz 1712 with a custom stock by Canyon Creek.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 AM

love good wood but good gun stock wood is usually heavy and I like light and some day I will have a nice light weight rifle and that will probably have a synthetic stock if I have to carry it I will take light every time.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You now understand the benefit of "plastic".

Always have understood. Didn't say I don't use em, just said I didn't have much use for them... Gotta love Quigley quotes even modified they're fun.

Some awful nice wood showin up. Keep em comin.

Cat: If I email you a pic can you post it for me?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM

I love wood stocks, and they outnumber my plastic ones 2:1. However, heading out the door hunting, it's plastic & stainless 90% of the time.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Stainless and "plastic" is my go to combination.

Blued steel looks at home in a wood stock only.