Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Default Second Hand Gun

Hey All

Outside of a safe handler of a firearm I know little about them.

I am thinking of trading my back-up bow for a shotgun or something in a predator calibre.

I'm am thinking that I would ask for a clean bill of health from a gunsmith before completeing a transaction. It that a common request? While I'm sure I can find a checklist to go through I know one point on the checklist is going to be check for excessive wear. If it's a cracked stock I can see that but not sure I would be able to determine what was excessive versus normal. Can't say for sure I know how obvious a wornout barrel is.

Not that I think that someone would intentionally sell me an unsafe firearm I would hate to buy a firearm that require mainteniance just because I didn't know what to look for.

Should point out that my trade value will be in the $3-400 range so while their could be offers of lower end newer options that may be some higher-end older options that may require a closer look.

Thanks for any comments.

Doodle
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

meet them at the range and shoot the gun if you're really worried
Old 03-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Smile Shotgun or rifle

Most hunters will not live any where long enough to "shoot out a rifle".

In your price range a used 870 in 12 ga. will suit you fine. If you want to shoot water fowl, get a newer one with screw in chokes, it will handle steel shot.

For a varmint rifle, a savage edge package in 223 will suit you right down to the ground!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Default Thanks Gents

I guess I better start looking for a trade.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
meet them at the range and shoot the gun if you're really worried
You hijacked my reply

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM

There are many decent sellers and traders on here and CGN, check the trader ratings for them, and see if you recognize any names.
That way you can PM someone you know and trust if you already do not know the person you wan to do business with.

I have sen several guns come and go over the years in shops that had problems, so instead of fixing them, the guy got rid of them on a trade or whatever.
Without shooting the gun , you could not identify the problem!
Myself, I would not be able to live with myself if I did that, and although I know many others with the same attitude, I also know many that would not hesitate to get rid of a bad gun to a shop.
I don't pass on my problems to others, but it is "buyer beware", for sure!

Cat
Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Default Thanks Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There are many decent sellers and traders on here and CGN, check the trader ratings for them, and see if you recognize any names.
That way you can PM someone you know and trust if you already do not know the person you wan to do business with.

I have sen several guns come and go over the years in shops that had problems, so instead of fixing them, the guy got rid of them on a trade or whatever.
Without shooting the gun , you could not identify the problem!
Myself, I would not be able to live with myself if I did that, and although I know many others with the same attitude, I also know many that would not hesitate to get rid of a bad gun to a shop.
I don't pass on my problems to others, but it is "buyer beware", for sure!

Cat
I had always planned to trade with someone with a good rating but I was wondering if the service exists. I bought a second hand truck a couple of years ago and would not consider a truck that would not let me send it for an inspection. The first one I had alot of interest in refused an inspection so I said no deal. When you are spending $15K a couple of hundred is a small price.

With a second hand gun I thought a reasonable service fee was a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Doodle