Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 11:02 AM

Default Bully time

Been doing some exploring before its time to entertain students for the next 10 months.

Found an awesome pool with hundreds of whitefish eating nymphs. There was a gang of about 10 big Bulls chasing the odd straggler.

Pool was so clear you could pretty much see everything going on, was a very neat experience.

I managed a few chases, a few swipes, had one on that busted me off in 5 seconds. Ended up going to a smaller clouser type streamer (copper sparkle minnow)And that was the ticket.

This guy did not fit in my 22" measure net, with both ends sticking out like massive live handles. It was actually comical trying to land him.

A bigger bull chased him all the way in, which was cool but very nerve racking. Doubt I could have landed both on on 12lb fluoro.

Quick 5 seconds out of water for a very rare pic, and back to the buffet pool for him.

Picture doesn't do the fish Justice, the pink haloes, white leading edges. Truly a magnificent fish. Super fat, he has taken down more than his share of whiteys.

Great pool, lots of cutts as well. Funny thing, Bulls would only chase whites, no interest in the cutts.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:19 PM

Great bull man and great photo! Yeah I've noticed that too when I fish; Bulls don't chase rainbows but will chase grayling and whites. I guess there's no point tying rainbow coloured flies have pics of the whites and cutts you caught?
Old 08-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Didn't bother with nymphing for whites. Although I am sure you could have easily caught a ton.

Spent most of the time tossing streamers and dries. Did catch a couple of whites on a dry fly though. That was a first.

Don't take too many photos, but I do have 1 more. Not sure why I didn't smile. I should have been.

This guy is an 18" cutty, taken on an ant pattern in a very fast riffle. Caught a bunch like him. This is a different river in the same area as the other photo.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:14 PM

Nice!! On both pics. I know what you mean about the colors of bulls and pics. I've also had same sized bull trout chase and latch onto the side of the bull the line...several times. They are voracious.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:30 PM

Beautiful!
That must have been quite a spectacle to watch.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 PM

Thumbs up

Whooo Sexy Cutty .. Nice Job !
Old 08-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Banned

Nice work... fishing and photos!
I know their protected, but that cutthroat makes my mouth water...
Best fish ive ever eaten.