Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-12-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Alberta Trappers License

Regarding: Alberta Trappers License
Rumor is that the ATA is taking over from the provincial government issuing the Provincial Alberta Trappers License and jacking up the fee to $300.

I'm not ready to get critical because I don't know if this is true.
Apparantly Mr. Ambercrombie is pushing for this.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
Regarding: Alberta Trappers License
Rumor is that the ATA is taking over from the provincial government issuing the Provincial Alberta Trappers License and jacking up the fee to $300.

I'm not ready to get critical because I don't know if this is true.
Apparantly Mr. Ambercrombie is pushing for this.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Ambercrombie is pushing for that but would be surprised if it ever happened, the ATA doesn’t represent all trappers in Alberta so why should they look after licensing? In a time when fur is worth nothing all we need is higher licensing costs
Old 10-13-2020, 07:27 AM

If this is true, $300 is pretty high for someone to pay if all they are doing is snaring a few coyotes on their own land
Old 10-13-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
If this is true, $300 is pretty high for someone to pay if all they are doing is snaring a few coyotes on their own land
Exactly, do you think someone in that situation would even buy a license if it’s 300 bucks? I don’t know where this info is coming from, it’s not April Fools is it???
Old 10-13-2020, 09:53 AM

Can’t see this being true when they just announced that licenses will be available exclusively online starting next year. The process was almost like that this year as it was.

LC
Old 10-13-2020, 07:43 PM

Not an April fools joke and I didn't invent this.
I don't know if there is any truth to it.
This was told to me by a person within the raw fur business.
IT sounds disturbing, I know
Old 10-13-2020, 08:41 PM

Sounds like an internet rumour.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:41 PM

The ATA should be so lucky as to get control of licensing. Might ensure the future of trapping and the RFMA system being retained.

However this is BS. That's not how the system works. The government doesn't allow the ACA to set hunting license fees or APOS to set out of province license costs.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Just give ole Bilbo Baggins er i mean ole Bilbo Abercrombie a call and he will clear the air... er i mean explain what is or isnt happening. Ideally one does that first but we went to stage two first.

Just send him a quick text. Very simple

Them darn raw fur people, seems like a continous stream of misinformation and half truths!!!

☹️

Did you ever hear the one about kiyutes that didnt have a tail?

😂
Old 10-14-2020, 01:00 AM

Was at our meeting and discussed this. $300 would be for registered trap line not resident.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:59 AM

Trapper Mike, One hell of a time to be doing a 500% increase in RFMA license when we are getting $20 for a marten.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:00 PM

Even if the price of licenses doubled that should more pay for any extra admin staff needed if the ATA took over trapping and RFMA. Double is way less than 300 being tossed around and if the ATA did take it over what is the government going to pay to get out of the admiration of this and for how many years? just my 2 cents as I know as much or as little as any of these posts.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Grey wolf don’t shoot the messenger. Lots of ideas floating around. If you want to be in the know, give Bill a call, I’m sure he will explain it to you. Better than trying to pick through the false and half truths floating around on the forum.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Or you could try calling Jenny

867-5309
Old 10-14-2020, 05:28 PM
AO Sponsor

I think there’s 2500 ish lines out there? 2400?

2400 x $10 =$24,000

2400 x $50 = $120,000

2400 x $100 = $240,000

So the...

2400 x $300 = $720,000 annually

Im not sure what they plan to do with 3/4 million annually.

By all means, get involved and help guide the ship. Have your say, add your input. “... Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own...”
Old 10-14-2020, 05:38 PM

Mismanage it like the other funds over the years
Old 10-14-2020, 08:22 PM

With Resident trapper, Partner and Registered licenses there is over 4500 trappers.
Many have both a Resident and or a Registered or partner license, but they pay for both.
So if the price for all license went to 300 that would be over 1.3 million a year.
Even if the resident and partner licenses went to 150 and using Marty's number of Registered lines of 2400, that would leave 3100 at 150 for a total of 465,000 and a grand total of 1.185 million a year.

I don't see that flying with to many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I think there’s 2500 ish lines out there? 2400?

2400 x $10 =$24,000

2400 x $50 = $120,000

2400 x $100 = $240,000

So the...

2400 x $300 = $720,000 annually

Im not sure what they plan to do with 3/4 million annually.

By all means, get involved and help guide the ship. Have your say, add your input. “... Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own...”

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:50 PM
Banned

There are 1632 RFMA’s in Alberta and yes, it would be a huge chunk of change.

When I first read this thread I thought that there was no way but it sounds like it’s been discussed......as ludicrous as it sounds. I wouldn’t have believed that the ATA went behind Trapper’s backs and without our knowledge request a mandatory Snaring course unless I read it in the AEP’s meeting minutes either though, but they did.

The ATA never ceases to amaze me with their revenue generating schemes. I’m sure that like always they’ll say that it’s the only way to save the RFMA system and ensure the future of trapping in Alberta and that’ll be a good enough explanation for some. I’ve never once read anything even remotely close being discussed in the ATA/AEP meeting minutes.

If you want the straight goods on what the ATA discusses with AEP, without half truths or outright lies, invest $35 in a FOIP request for the minutes to the ATA/AEP meetings. No one can bs you once you know the facts.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-14-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:22 AM
AO Sponsor

1632 x $300 = $489,600, not nearly as much as I thought at 2400 lines

Maybe the charge should be $1000.00 per year. That would generate $1,632,000 per year.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
The ATA should be so lucky as to get control of licensing. Might ensure the future of trapping and the RFMA system being retained.

However this is BS. That's not how the system works. The government doesn't allow the ACA to set hunting license fees or APOS to set out of province license costs.
Lmao!! The ATA being in control of licensing is going to save trapping, The old were gonna lose RFMA’s is nothing more than fear mongering, what would the ATA do with all that money besides mismanage it like usual??
Old 10-16-2020, 05:42 AM

It wasn't long ago we had an NDP government, losing RFMAs was a definite possibility then, things change. I haven't heard any talk of a $300.00 license, but if someone read it on the internet it must be true.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:16 AM

I am not a trapper but my SIL is a F&W Administrator. They got a notification that next year the Licenses will be administered by RELM, so I guess it would be the same as buying your hunting license online. No mention of fees or where the money distribution goes.

Also the balance of the management duties regarding non Native traplines will be passed to the ATA.

Native licenses and management will dealt with by their own organization.

She figures her job is probably going to be toast and the over the counter services now offered by F&W will be paired down to a few larger centers.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
It wasn't long ago we had an NDP government, losing RFMAs was a definite possibility then, things change. I haven't heard any talk of a $300.00 license, but if someone read it on the internet it must be true.
The same old ATA BS fearmongering that started way back in 2008 when two of the ATA's Executive, both private trapping school owners, came out of a F&W meeting and started this rumor. Five years later the standard trapping course became mandatory. Yay, the ATA saved the RFMA system and the future of trapping in Alberta!

Strangely enough, you'll find nothing of the sort in the minutes of the meeting. I also have copies of the minutes for every AEP/ATA meeting while the NDP were in power and guess what? Not even a hint of anything like that.

It's kind of funny that people believe nonsense like this and repeat it as fact. However, after over a decade of repeating this rumor over and over as justification for virtually every scheme that the ATA wants to promote, who can blame anyone for taking it as fact. I guess that it's true......If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

Believe whatever you want but for (EDIT) $25 you can submit a FOIP and get the facts. It's a real eye opener and well worth the money IMO.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-16-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The same old ATA BS fearmongering that started way back in 2008 when two of the ATA's Executive, both private trapping school owners, came out of a F&W meeting and started this rumor. Five years later the standard trapping course became mandatory. Yay, the ATA saved the RFMA system and the future of trapping in Alberta!

Strangely enough, you'll find nothing of the sort in the minutes of the meeting. I also have copies of the minutes for every AEP/ATA meeting while the NDP were in power and guess what? Not even a hint of anything like that.

It's kind of funny that people believe nonsense like this and repeat it as fact. However, after over a decade of repeating this rumor over and over as justification for virtually every scheme that the ATA wants to promote, who can blame anyone for taking it as fact. I guess that it's true......If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

Believe whatever you want but for (EDIT) $25 you can submit a FOIP and get the facts. It's a real eye opener and well worth the money IMO.
They have said many times the conservative government was gonna take away RFMA’s and then the NDP and now the UCP is going to??? Come up with some new scare tactics. Don’t trust the new leadership at all
Old 10-16-2020, 08:32 PM
AO Sponsor

Industry is not a big fan of registered trappers, and not all govt people are sympathetic to trappers. The thot process is out there to eliminate the RFMA system, we can deny it all we want but there are many people who want it done away with.

If I was an RFMA holder, I would certainly want to be in front of things.

Make things happen instead of watch things happen. I do prefer that concept.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:20 AM

Around 2010 give or take a few years I was at a function where there was a F&W officer out of uniform. Got talking with him an in a round about way said to me the registered line system was going To be short lived.