Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 11:27 PM

Default Grades are up

Man I have a hard time being patient and waiting for auctions. 😁
Old 05-01-2019, 12:15 AM

Good thing you weren’t selling fur when you had to wait for your cheque to arrive before you could see the results.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:59 AM

I was lol

You have to love technology where we can watch or listen to the auction live!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Grades? I don't even have a count yet.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Neither do I...called in said it will be a week or 2 yet
Old 05-01-2019, 02:52 PM
AO Sponsor

Grades will be up soon, likely first day of inspection. Perhaps 2 or more likely 3 weeks yet
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 AM

Well they should be up next week. Hope everyone gets good grades.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:47 AM

my grades are up! lots of #II's on my list but I'm not shocked by that.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:18 PM

Quite a few II's on mine, a few I-II & even *I & *SEL grades ... had some compliments at the depot when I dropped them off for shipping so knew there were nice ones in-there. Sure lookin forward to see how these babies sell
Old 05-25-2019, 07:29 PM

I'm.not too surprised by my grades lots of II s even tho I thought they were better than my first offerings . What is surprising is a buddy of mine that sent in 91 coyotes and ended up with 14 damaged 3 and 4s .. I looked thru his hides before they were sent and there wasnt a single one I wouldnt have traded for my best one . I'm glad I'm not the one answering his phone call Monday morning because it isn't gonna be pretty and he has the right to complain .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 09:47 PM

My latest bunch should be much better than my first bunch but only time will tell how I fare.I am absolutely baffled by their grading system and have learned to take things in stride.Would be interesting to hear how the grading gets explained to your friend,Cam.Will try to check my grades come Monday.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:52 PM

Ahhh, they are up and not bad at all for me. Lots of IIs but a few Is along with some labeled furs. Looking forward to seeing what my SEL coyote and martens bring.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:04 AM
Banned

Pretty darned stingy with the I-II's! Glancing through the catalog I think that there were only about 1,000 Western Heavy I-II's in total. With numbers like that I'm not surprised that 78% of mine graded II.

Good grade II's brought good money in the last auction and I suspect that they will sell the same or better in this one. By my calculations there are 6k more pelts in this auction than the 80k predicted but 10k less pelts than the total of last year's two big auctions. Supply and demand?

Our II's are gonna do well. Bid them up boys!
Old 05-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
Ahhh, they are up and not bad at all for me. Lots of IIs but a few Is along with some labeled furs. Looking forward to seeing what my SEL coyote and martens bring.
Last sale my 1s brought better than my sel coyote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Im usually pretty patient with most things but not today haha. I just get an error when I log into my account. Website not functioning I guess. Maybe they can pool all their commission money together and hire some IT guys to build a website that wont crash every day.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Just went here to say the website was having an error on my account, looks like it is not just mine.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Looks like good majority of my central sask yotes went II
Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Just went here to say the website was having an error on my account, looks like it is not just mine.
No its every bodies damn it. Makes you feel any better fha was crashing also during their fur sale.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Banned

Does anyone remember a few years ago when the grades and catalog were posted and everyone freaked out at how low they were? Then the site crashed and when the grades came back up they had all changed with better grades. I'm wondering if that's not the case again this time and the old switcheroo is in play. With all of those II's it won't surprise me.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:01 PM

Lol I remember but I think your doing some wishful thinking. I would bet at the end of it all you'll he happy with the prices your IIs bring. Or maybe I'm doing some wishful thinking. Hmmm.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Im usually pretty patient with most things but not today haha. I just get an error when I log into my account. Website not functioning I guess. Maybe they can pool all their commission money together and hire some IT guys to build a website that wont crash every day.
Wheres the " like " button...lol

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 PM

Out of 26 coyotes I have one that's *I the rest are all grade II.. If I remember correctly my second batch i had a few coyotes that were alot nicer then my first batch. This is strange because I had alot of coyotes either in sel, *I or I-II in the first sale. Im kinda disappointed.

To top it all off when I called Mary at the auction regarding some last minute coyotes I shipped in using Canada post. She complimented me on my colors and quilty. I for sure thought I would have at least a couple grade I's ..

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

Mine's back up. No change to grades that I can see.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 PM

All looks the same for me as well. Friday and Sunday are the days I’ll be following the live auction. Hope work is slower on Friday. 😉
Old 05-26-2019, 09:40 PM
AO Sponsor

The glimpse into this sale is FHA’s sale a few days ago. Its hard to get anything from them quickly, as to how it went unless one would sign in and sit and listen to it live.

I texted a veteran fur trader today asking how the coyotes went. His exact words “...They had a good sale. Especially the flat goods...”

The market has reached its heights and the buyers would sooner pay more for inferior goods than pay more for the high end. Lots of willing buyers on the coyote end of the game. Should be superb!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 12:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Exclamation

The same guy also told me some more good news a while back. Cant recall if i shared??

World production if ranch mink is down to 30 million pelts per year from i believe 80 million plus. That is big! Should really notice a difference next year? But already seeing the first signs of recovery in a few items.

Good luck everybody!!!

Only 8 top lot coyotes... i hope its all Alberta coyotes in the top. However i would settle for all Canadian in the top. USA goods just dont got what it takes in the coyotes!!!

NO WHITE TAGS!!!! NO WHITE TAGS!!!! NO WHITE TAGS!!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 PM

Marty,

Just out of curiosity. Where do you go to see only 8 in top lot, is that visible or accessible to all public or you've got an inside scoop being a dealer?? Also, does a guy know he has skins in top lot by their grades or is that a wait n see thing for the day of the sale??

I haven't personally made top lot before, been 2nd highest and 3rd highest lotting skins before but never yet top lot. How does a person know they made top, if they did?
Old 05-28-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywillow View Post
Marty,

Just out of curiosity. Where do you go to see only 8 in top lot, is that visible or accessible to all public or you've got an inside scoop being a dealer?? Also, does a guy know he has skins in top lot by their grades or is that a wait n see thing for the day of the sale??

I haven't personally made top lot before, been 2nd highest and 3rd highest lotting skins before but never yet top lot. How does a person know they made top, if they did?
I'm not Marty, but I'll try to help.

I'm pretty sure You need an Account.

Login into Nafa, go to the "CATALOGUE", click "WILD FUR FUR CATALOGUE #3", then click the first page "COYOTE - WESTERN HEAVEY"

I'm sure u can figure it out from there.

A top lot coyote will be graded "SSL" U can view your grades in "Current Auction Lotting and Sales Summary"

Old 05-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtstahl View Post
A top lot coyote will be graded "SSL" U can view your grades in "Current Auction Lotting and Sales Summary"
Only if SSL is the highest grade in the auction like this one. If there are none then SEL may be the Top Lot.

I go into my account and open the current lotting page. From there I double click on the species (ie. coyote). Then I double click on a lot and the catalog comes up with the lots that I have fur in highlighted. That's what I watch while listening to the live auction.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 AM

Ok. I guess I've never watched an auction where there were no SSL grades.

I'm familiar with that strategy, although it was kinda broken at last sale I'm glad they brought it back. It's really convenient, listening to the auction live while your grades are highlighted. I checked yesterday, it seems to be working 100 percent again.

Good luck Dave.