Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Default leasing a line

Does anyone do this,and how much would you pay for a line?
Factors i guess would be size of line,does it have buildings,and amount of fur available on line.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp45cal View Post
Factors i guess would be size of line,does it have buildings,and amount of fur available on line.
In BC it's legal, not in Alberta.

Although I'm sure it happens and you could call what you pay the owner, your share of the upkeep on the cabins.

I would suggest you pay whatever you feel the experience is worth. You're certainly not going to lease a line for less then you're going to make in a season. Unless he's leasing it to you for the price of a bag of chips or something like that
Old 03-07-2016, 05:46 PM

I would say that lines in Alberta are in a way leased are they not? JR partners give up a certain percentage of the fur kinda thing or whatever deal the senior and JR make. Basically same thing is it not? Was thinking of doing something like this when I bought my line but not a chance now. I am having way too much fun!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Leasing a line

I would agree it would depend on what arrangement you make with the senior holder. I think for holders who are not able to trap lines but want to hang on to them, this could work. I certainly would be interested.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 PM

I thought of doing it to help pay for my line since it was more than i wanted to spend. I even had the idea of providing all the traps and set locations for guys that wanted to go trap for a week at a time and run on a trapline for a week. I would be on site to run the line with them to make it legal kinda like a trapline adventure. If they had their own licence you could sign them up as a JR for part of the season that you aggreed on. I think there are a lot of guys that would love to spend a week of holidays running a line. The problem is that I doubt many guys would pay enough to make it worth while for me. It would be a lot of hassle. It also would be more of a fun thing for guys and not a moneymaker but the thought crossed my mind
Old 03-07-2016, 06:23 PM

What ever type of agreement you make get it on paper. I had the opportunity to be a junior on a line a few years ago with a gentlmans agrement with a "great old boy". After building a skinning shed and cutting trails, and fixing up a 30 year old cabin with all my time and money put in that summer, the suckcocker sold the line that fall. I never recieved a penny for any materials for any of the "improvements" that I did. I fixed up his line so he could sell it. The wife and I were out close to 5 grand in materials alone.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp45cal View Post
I have leased a portion of a line for 25% of my gross fur value return per auction sales report.. No cabin, only existing trails and road system.

Last edited by tomcat; 03-07-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I would say that lines in Alberta are in a way leased are they not? JR partners give up a certain percentage of the fur kinda thing or whatever deal the senior and JR make. Basically same thing is it not? Was thinking of doing something like this when I bought my line but not a chance now. I am having way too much fun!

Guess I have it really lucky as a jr. All I catch is mine. Free reign to do as I wish. Sr just wants someone responsible and committed

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-07-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
What ever type of agreement you make get it on paper. I had the opportunity to be a junior on a line a few years ago with a gentlmans agrement with a "great old boy". After building a skinning shed and cutting trails, and fixing up a 30 year old cabin with all my time and money put in that summer, the suckcocker sold the line that fall. I never recieved a penny for any materials for any of the "improvements" that I did. I fixed up his line so he could sell it. The wife and I were out close to 5 grand in materials alone.
Boy I would be hotter than a jalapeņo.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I thought of doing it to help pay for my line since it was more than i wanted to spend. I even had the idea of providing all the traps and set locations for guys that wanted to go trap for a week at a time and run on a trapline for a week. I would be on site to run the line with them to make it legal kinda like a trapline adventure. If they had their own licence you could sign them up as a JR for part of the season that you aggreed on. I think there are a lot of guys that would love to spend a week of holidays running a line. The problem is that I doubt many guys would pay enough to make it worth while for me. It would be a lot of hassle. It also would be more of a fun thing for guys and not a moneymaker but the thought crossed my mind
I would love to do exactly this. Until I get my own line, I think this would be great. I think the learning experience alone would be invaluable and a way to get trapping species I otherwise won't have a chance to do. In many ways it's a prequel step to becoming a Jr. also. Not sure what you were thinking in terms of $$. I'd like to know would make it worth a Sr. Holders' while.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
I would love to do exactly this. Until I get my own line, I think this would be great. I think the learning experience alone would be invaluable and a way to get trapping species I otherwise won't have a chance to do. In many ways it's a prequel step to becoming a Jr. also. Not sure what you were thinking in terms of $$. I'd like to know would make it worth a Sr. Holders' while.
$3500 U.S. per man based on 2 guys per week. You show up, sleds, food, gas, and everything else you need is supplied for the week.
You get to keep a couple furs from some of the species you catch. Of course with this option you have a guide with you and it's basically a week long tutorial.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:14 PM

Lots of different ways of doing it for sure. I Have a few ideas of what it would be worth to me if someone was interested. And as 6tmile said get it in writing. I would be ticked if I had that happen. I am open to ideas from guys but I know also that nothing will be perminant on my line either. I have area that needs to be explored and trapped and would be o.k if a deal was worked that they can trap a certain part of the line for X amount of time for something in return.
It has to be worth it to me in the end and the other side of it the other person has to know it is not something that I want every year for a long time. I think it would be a hard thing to figure out.

Most guys won't pay the going rate of $$2500-3500 for a week but maybe I am wrong. I have a few americans that would. The average joe resident wouldn't I do not think.

Maybe I should offer free reign for a year next time I need a cabin built lol I could have used some help with the last one lol

I know with my line I want to figure out 3-5 areas to trap and rotate from year to year. It is going to take me a few years to even get most of it explored and figured out.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 AM

Guys with unexplored or untrapped areas of their lines should take on volunteers or Jr's to properly manage the critters ?
I could be off on this but thinking of proper trapping management is all.
Or would fur value add up to a few $k in a week or so ?
I don't have to worry with only 2-3 quarters, ha.

TBark
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 AM

Maybe some areas but I know that so far with my marten if I trap one area hard the next year is not worth trapping. I need to rest my marten or take fewer out of an area. That is why I am trying to get 3-5 main areas to trap on my line and rotate every year type thing. If I could get $2K of fur in a week I would be laughing.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
$3500 U.S. per man based on 2 guys per week. You show up, sleds, food, gas, and everything else you need is supplied for the week.
You get to keep a couple furs from some of the species you catch. Of course with this option you have a guide with you and it's basically a week long tutorial.
This is a trapline adventure. There are plenty of outfits tat offer this in North America. Not what I was thinking of.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Lots of different ways of doing it for sure. I Have a few ideas of what it would be worth to me if someone was interested. And as 6tmile said get it in writing. I would be ticked if I had that happen. I am open to ideas from guys but I know also that nothing will be perminant on my line either. I have area that needs to be explored and trapped and would be o.k if a deal was worked that they can trap a certain part of the line for X amount of time for something in return.
This is exactly what I want to do for next winter. Maybe include a week of the earlier variant where you come along and show how it's done/how you want it done/not done on your line.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
This is a trapline adventure. There are plenty of outfits tat offer this in North America. Not what I was thinking of.
So you want a Trapline adventure, just not at Trapline adventure prices

There's no way I would sign on a junior for a week at a time to go out and try my line. Or a month for that matter.
Like nube said he would go with them to make sure it's all legal. So what's a week of his time worth ? Or would it be 2 days a week for a month ?

Unless it was a fully guided deal, or a junior by the year who wasn't guided at all. It wouldn't be worth the hassle.

A guy comes out and uses your cabin, burns your wood, uses your traps and then after a week says that was fun, here's $500 ??? Can I do this again next year ?

Fack that !
Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:

There's no way I would sign on a junior for a week at a time to go out and try my line. Or a month for that matter.
Like nube said he would go with them to make sure it's all legal. So what's a week of his time worth ? Or would it be 2 days a week for a month ?

Unless it was a fully guided deal, or a junior by the year who wasn't guided at all. It wouldn't be worth the hassle.

A guy comes out and uses your cabin, burns your wood, uses your traps and then after a week says that was fun, here's $500 ??? Can I do this again next year ?

Fack that !
What if he let's you take a run at his wife? Pot=sweetened lol
Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Fack that !
Take it easy, Tork. That large vein in your forehead is showing again.

No, read my reply to Nube's post. It's not that I don't want to pay you for a trapline adventure. It's that I don't want to do a trapline adventure. I don't just want you to be my outfitter for a week. Nube's post captures it. I want to get my own traps, do my own wood, and do the real thing. I want to learn, but I don't want an "outfitted" trapping experience. And I don't want a guide. I want a teacher for a little while. More to learn all the things not to do or that the Sr. doesn't want on his line. Then I want to do it myself. Just like a Jr. But before the Sr. commits and the Jr. doesn't come through. It's a step to signing up as a Jr. and gain experience, before everyone agrees to something and it doesn't work out. That's all. I'd pay $2,000 for a week of working with a trapper if it meant I could then lease a portion of his line for the year.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
Well if my wife wasn't in the picture it would likely sweeten the pot almost enough lol
Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Lol , I heard an old fella tell me one time " a ring don't plug a hole" I guess that phrase is fitting here haha
Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM

Guys signing a junior on your line totally covers it. End of conversation, just get something down on paper.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 AM

Tork what if you paid for the materials for a cabin you needed built and the guy went and built it for you because you didn't have as much time on the project and told him he could trap a certain section of your line for X amount of time and sign hi on as a JR kinda thing? I tossed that around in my head a bit. As long as the guy has a license to trap. For me it is tempting because I have such a huge area that needs explored first off and it would be nice to have something worthwhile in return. Let's face it unless a guy is real good at catching a ton of coyotes and the way fur prices are these days it really isn't worth it to have a JR trapping a line and think you are going to put any decent amount of money in your pocket and for sure it won't be enough to make it worth it. After next winter I will have about half of my area somewhat figured out for critters and that might be on the high side. For me I won't even see some of my area for another 2-3 years. I know eventually I want 1 more small cabin on the north end of my area and will have 3 cabins and can rotate areas every few years.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
His blood pressure is too high already. Doctor says it's not a good idea.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Take it easy, Tork. That large vein in your forehead is showing again.

No, read my reply to Nube's post. It's not that I don't want to pay you for a trapline adventure. It's that I don't want to do a trapline adventure. I don't just want you to be my outfitter for a week. Nube's post captures it. I want to get my own traps, do my own wood, and do the real thing. I want to learn, but I don't want an "outfitted" trapping experience. And I don't want a guide. I want a teacher for a little while. More to learn all the things not to do or that the Sr. doesn't want on his line. Then I want to do it myself. Just like a Jr. But before the Sr. commits and the Jr. doesn't come through. It's a step to signing up as a Jr. and gain experience, before everyone agrees to something and it doesn't work out. That's all. I'd pay $2,000 for a week of working with a trapper if it meant I could then lease a portion of his line for the year.

No large vein here sir, all good

I think when you through a dollar amount into something like this it complicates things. What's expected from one party and what's expected from the other party.

I would definitely consider bringing on the right junior partner if my situation was different. But to charge a fee, I don't know ?

Ultimately I hope you find somebody to take you on and none of this is required. Or you find a line for yourself.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:28 PM

thanks for the input
Old 03-09-2016, 03:34 PM

oops.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-09-2016, 04:14 PM

What is a normal Sr- Jr arrangement then ?
Is $ paid by the Jr or is it a % of fur, or are there no rules ?
I contacted the line owner that boarders our quarters to ask about a small area within a mile or 2 off our fence because we knew it wasn't being trapped.
Will wait til he replies but just wondering what may be the discussion or arrangement if being Jr is an option ?

TBark
Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I contacted the line owner that boarders our quarters to ask about a small area within a mile or 2 off our fence because we knew it wasn't being trapped.
Will wait til he replies but just wondering what may be the discussion or arrangement if being Jr is an option ?

TBark
Only depends on the agreement made. No rules!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post

TBark
Did he/she get back to you? Some lines might have a couple of Jrs already and depends on how they manage their line they might leave areas untouched to keep breeding stock.