Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 07:12 PM

Default Rod Building as a hobby

Any suggestions on what kind of kit to start with? Given that the price for blanks seem to almost be as much as finished rod at Cabelas I'm thinking I'd better not cheap out and grt a professional power wrapper and drier. Any suggestions on where and what brands to buy?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:56 PM

Your first likely wont be nearly your best and i wouldn't recommend spending much on your first because of that. Trust me this can turn into an addicting hobby once you get started so get a decent low buck blank to start with or a stripped old rod and try refinishing it with some cheaper components to learn, build some skills and build / buy / aquire tools. Save the higher end blanks and components for a later build.

I started out restoring cheap old japanese split cane rods. For me that was a good start as they can be found dirt cheap if your patient but any old rod can be stripped for a blank and teaches you wrapping techniques, vanishing and the general what's what of the craft.

I use a home built rod wrapper made from MDF non powered and I'm happy with it. Lots of rod building vendors other than ebay around and mostly every rod building tool or apparatus can be built at home as well.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 PM

The addiction was what I'm afraid of. Do I get cheap tools to start with only to replace them in a year? That's what happens to most guys that start tying flies. Hard to believe a box of fur and feathers could cost so much lol.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 10:31 PM

Send a pm to kingfisher. He used to be a rod builder and is a wealth of help and knowledge. I am sure he could fill in the answers for you.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:15 AM

You don't need a power wrapper if you are doing it for a hobby. I' sure there are plans of the web somewhere for a home made one. I borrowed a wrapper for my first 3 or 4 rods and then built my own bases on my own preferences. If you are at all handy it is an easy build. I also built my own dryer, just bought the motor on ebay for 20 or so bucks. Fun hobby and if you buy from a well known blank company, I would recommend mud hole blanks, they are available in Canada, the rod options are endless. I had to get out of it for health reasons.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-05-2017, 11:01 AM

Check these kits out. For the price you, get a decent rod, plus service is in Calgary.
I have Tactical and really enjoy it.
http://www.pierowayrods.com/kits/
Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 AM

built a few using only doweling to make the handle and "the books of knowledge" to provide a leveling surface for the blank on each side and as a thread tensioner for the thread ... butchers string to establish guide position .. and lacquer ... have fun, spend your money on the blank and components & not on the gizmos to put it together
Old 08-05-2017, 02:23 PM

Default rodbuilding

Fish tales carries pretty well every supply you need for most rodbuilding except for spinning and conventional blanks. I use them for guides etc and Mudhole anglers for the rest of my supplies but started out using a cheap handmade jig for wrapping (still use it) and a book as a thread tensioner. The only tools I bought were a burnishing tool and some single edge razor blades for my first builds.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 PM

Any chance there is a way to turn down a cork handle on a fly rod?If there is and there is any chance any of you gentlemen who build rods could help me out that would be awesome the cork on this 7wt rod is just to big. I'm in Calgary.thanks keith
Old 08-07-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Rod Building

I have been building and repairing rods ever since I read the articles on Rod Repair and Building Cane Rods in the MCCLANE'S STANDARD FISHING ENCYCLOPEDIA that my dad bought in the 60s. This was the last word on fishing references at the time, and is still available today.

There have been many, many articles in outdoor magazines on the topic of rod building/rod repair, and many small pamphlets. The best book that I have on the topic is How to Make Your Own Fishing Rods by Mel Marshall.

Although a 1978 book and really is not totally up-to-date with all the newest stuff, it is still the best book.

Over the years, I have built my own jigs and components; the only thing I have purchased is the 110v motor to drive the rod drying after application of epoxy. This is really necessary to avoid sags in the finish. I would recommend a motor under 10 RPM for this: 5-8 RPM is ideal. This allows you to spread out epoxy finish while the rod is turning.

The motors are easy to find on eBay; just enter Dryer-Drying Motor in the search engine.

I buy my components from eBay, guides, tiptops, thread, rod epoxy, cork rings, etc. I also save the good guides from rods that I have been given for repair that simply cannot be done. I also save the useable rod blanks from these rods for future repairs.

I build 1-3 rods per year, and repair as many as 20 per year. It is somewhat addictive, but a very satisfying pastime.

I can go on at length on what I have learned, do in specific situations, etc. Ask specific questions if you have them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rod Building small.jpg (32.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg McClane.jpg (34.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
Any chance there is a way to turn down a cork handle on a fly rod?
Turning down a cork grip is nothing to a rod builder, or even a handyman.

It will take two people, unless you build jigs to manage it. take a battery powered drill, and place it on the workbench, sitting on its battery. Build a small jig to take the rod, a wooden 1x2 screwed into a 4"x4" scrap of plywood. Notch the 1x2 with a V-notch such that the bottom of the V-notch is slightly below the centerline of the drill. Line the V-notch wit a piece of felt.

Take the bottom part of the rod and wrap masking tape around the ferrule to protect it. Mount it in the drill. Place the reel seat in the V-notch of the jig you just made. Have your partner operate the drill. Run it on slow as possible speed, and with sandpaper, re-shape the cork grip to your liking. Start with 60 grit paper, and end up with 120 grit paper.

Easy-peasy.

Vic