Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Default st marys launch

Is the launch at St Mary's still useable? Looks like it is down a fair bit. Which launch is best?
Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Both are still good, lots of boats still being launched. I would stay in the east launch unless you want to get charged with trespassing by the Blood Tribe.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
Both are still good, lots of boats still being launched. I would stay in the east launch unless you want to get charged with trespassing by the Blood Tribe.
Have they actually been doing that? There isn't anything that says no trespassing over there, and if it is an issue then why is there a launch there? I have never heard of anyone being charged, that's why I ask.

Last edited by Wes_G; 08-06-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
The north boat launch is not on reserve land, it is on government land and is open to public use.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Default St Mary's boat launch

How much is the lake dropping everyday?
How close is the level to not being able to use the boat launch?
I would like to be there for the aug 11 weekend
Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
How much is the lake dropping everyday?
How close is the level to not being able to use the boat launch?
I would like to be there for the aug 11 weekend
Was out there today. Its getting pretty close to the end. I honestly don't think that it will be good to go for next weekend, depends on how much more the lake drops. Also depends how big of a boat you are trying to launch!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
The north boat launch is not on reserve land, it is on government land and is open to public use.
There are 2 launches on the north end. West launch is Blood Tribe land, East launch is Provincial Parks.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
There are 2 launches on the north end. West launch is Blood Tribe land, East launch is Provincial Parks.
Alberta Environment owns the land and launch on the north side , the launch on the south side operated by the St. Marys Campground.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Just got back from St. Mary's. Launch on the north side is out of the water. Launch on the south side is on the last concrete block. 2 boats were out there but I suspect it will be unusable by Thursday.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Once everyone figures out the directions of the 2 launches...... Maybe one of you "Pro SMRID Advocate's" can explain to me why these 2 unmanned boat launches at St.Mary's Reservoir ain't being shut down like Sherburne?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturalwoodsman View Post
Once everyone figures out the directions of the 2 launches...... Maybe one of you "Pro SMRID Advocate's" can explain to me why these 2 unmanned boat launches at St.Mary's Reservoir ain't being shut down like Sherburne?
Phone SMRID and ask him yourself.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post

Blah, blah, blah..... same old boys!!! Been there done that no answer. Getting real old. Would rather one of u key board tough guys tell me. You know the "SMRID Advocate". Please tell me......
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post

I am still waiting for you to answer me on a different thread from 3 weeks ago about why SMRID give out more water rights on chin lake........ feel free answer away. Still waiting.....
Old 08-08-2017, 08:51 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=326764

Hopefully a lot of questions get answered here.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell f View Post
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=326764

Hopefully a lot of questions get answered here.
We are hoping to have a develop a solution here to get Sherburne open again.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Anyone know current launch conditions? Can you still launch when the concrete is out of the water? How solid is it off the end of the ramps for a 18' deep V etc. Was good last weekend but its down another metre and dropping daily.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Anyone know current launch conditions? Can you still launch when the concrete is out of the water? How solid is it off the end of the ramps for a 18' deep V etc. Was good last weekend but its down another metre and dropping daily.
Be very careful dropping off the end of the launch. Should be alright to launch but when you load your boat that weight will push your trailer tires into the mud and can hook the along the bottom block. If it is stuck and you power up your tow vehicle to get it up the launch you can pull your axle off of the trailer.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I am still waiting for you to answer me on a different thread from 3 weeks ago about why SMRID give out more water rights on chin lake........ feel free answer away. Still waiting.....
Not sure if you are familiar with southern Alberta but the irrigation reservoirs fuel our economy, that's why they are there. Read up on the smrid website if you want to educate yourself http://www.smrid.com/water-supply-outlook-update/. Basically, allocations have been increased due to improvements in efficiency (pivots vs flood) and improved infrastructure (pipelines vs leaky ditches). Chin is the souths insurance against drought, we have just had a few "wet" years in a row so folks forget how dry it can be.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know that I would. I had to put my truck into 4 wheel in the weekend to get my boat out and its just a 16' aluminum with a 30hp on the back. I have never had to do that before, so I assume that I was off the end of the launch. And its will be lower come this weekend then it was last weekend. I don't know how some of those guys got there big boats out.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah..... same old boys!!! Been there done that no answer. Getting real old. Would rather one of u key board tough guys tell me. You know the "SMRID Advocate". Please tell me......
Hope all on here you keep you waiting.

With posts like this, members on here should just ignore you, then you can figure it out yourself tough guy.lol

Sorry OP.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-10-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
I don't know that I would. I had to put my truck into 4 wheel in the weekend to get my boat out and its just a 16' aluminum with a 30hp on the back. I have never had to do that before, so I assume that I was off the end of the launch. And its will be lower come this weekend then it was last weekend. I don't know how some of those guys got there big boats out.
We were out on the weekend too. No problems launching an 18 footer and were not off the end of the ramp
Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 PM

Maybe I wasn't then, I just assumed that I was! I was also only pull my boat with a Ranger. The water in the boat launch bay was so dirty when I got back to load that you couldn't see a foot, never mind the bottom.

Since last Saturday the lake has lost another 7% of its water up to today, so probably another couple percent by this Saturday/sunday. I cant imagine that there is much of the launch left!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
hope all on here you keep you waiting.

With posts like this, members on here should just ignore you, then you can figure it out yourself tough guy.lol

sorry op.
x2 and i'll say it: Don't let the door hit ya in the butt on your way out
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Maybe I wasn't then, I just assumed that I was! I was also only pull my boat with a Ranger. The water in the boat launch bay was so dirty when I got back to load that you couldn't see a foot, never mind the bottom.

Since last Saturday the lake has lost another 7% of its water up to today, so probably another couple percent by this Saturday/sunday. I cant imagine that there is much of the launch left!
Strange, when we were there we all commented on how clear the water was. We were there all day last Saturday, when were you out??

Yeah, I think we will head elsewhere its down another 1.3m since last Saturday can't imagine you can launch now.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Strange, when we were there we all commented on how clear the water was. We were there all day last Saturday, when were you out??

Yeah, I think we will head elsewhere its down another 1.3m since last Saturday can't imagine you can launch now.
I was there Monday. The water was great everywhere except for the launch bay, the 3 wake boarding boats doing there thing right there didn't help.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:01 PM

Sorry to necro-post, but can anyone tell me about the water level at St Mary currently, and what it might be like in a couple weeks? I'm hoping to go down and camp on the 18th weekend and get into some trophy walleye, but, if I understand things correctly, the water lowers drastically during the summer....

any info? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Sorry to necro-post, but can anyone tell me about the water level at St Mary currently, and what it might be like in a couple weeks? I'm hoping to go down and camp on the 18th weekend and get into some trophy walleye, but, if I understand things correctly, the water lowers drastically during the summer....

any info? Thanks in advance!

Your in luck this year Water level is good, most years not so much. However trophy Walleye will be the kicker. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2020, 11:38 PM

https://rivers.alberta.ca/
This site is useful to look at before you go out, especially come mid summer once the reservoirs have been drawn from for a month or so. Zoom in untill you find St Mary's . It currently shows the lake at 100% capacity, I cant see that 12 days from now that water would drop enough to not be able to put a boat in. In the past I have noted that the north launch is unusable once the level gets to around 60%. The south launch at the park is still usable, but not by much. I am not sure what level it needs to be at for the south launch to not be usable yet.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Your in luck this year Water level is good, most years not so much. However trophy Walleye will be the kicker. Good luck!
thanks for the info -- is St Mary not a great place for big walleye? I assumed because the SAWT ran there, it was a place for some real good ones. Shame, if not.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
thanks for the info -- is St Mary not a great place for big walleye? I assumed because the SAWT ran there, it was a place for some real good ones. Shame, if not.

I have got a few mid twenties fish in there before and have heard stories of some big ones being caught but I think they are pretty few and far between. If you are going down there specifically looking for big ones you may be disappointed. You should still be able to get a few for dinner though if you are into that.