Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Default Genesee to Devon

Ok, I've snooped around floating the Little Smoky and then the Pembina. Pembina looks really low. We've decided to go slow and "discover" the area on the NSR between Genesee and Devon. Its time I get to learn the river in my own back yard. I think we will do okay, should be some good fishing. Any advice or knowledge of the opportunity here?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM

I just did a 3 day paddle from just outside Drayton to Edmonton. Although we didn't fish, there are all kinds of great looking spots with slack currents and deeper pools. It was an amazing trip. Just wish I did it earlier in life. Now when I stand up I look like a question mark.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 PM

Yeah, that's a long time sitting like that. Thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Default senecal dental

Lots of good spots get out and explore !!! by boat is the only way to go or canoe of course
Old 08-06-2017, 02:54 PM

The south shoreline of the river in this section has a few tributaries. The north shoreline, not so much. The mouths of tributaries can be good spots. On the deeper downstream side of the shallow areas can be good fish holders.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Genessee to Devon

My son and I kayaked this stretch yesterday. Took 5 hours paddling fairly steadily. A shore fisherman near Devon said he had caught 7 gold eye, 2 pike.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 AM

5 hours.....I was hoping for a couple nights doing a lot of fishing. Maybe only able to squeeze one night out of this
Old 08-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
5 hours.....I was hoping for a couple nights doing a lot of fishing. Maybe only able to squeeze one night out of this
A canouer and some kayakers we talked to put in at berrymore bridge which adds about 40 miles.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM

We put in at berrymore. 19 hours of paddling time but that was with virtually no drifting. You could spend more time if you drifted. We camped 2 nights. Lots of places to camp.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
My son and I kayaked this stretch yesterday. Took 5 hours paddling fairly steadily. A shore fisherman near Devon said he had caught 7 gold eye, 2 pike.
We watched you getting ready to take off at the bridge, must have been a great afternoon.

I was trying to go through the logistics of the shuttle in my mind but think that it went like this: wife/daughter-in-law (or daughter) left a car at the Devon launch and then accompanied you to the bridge in the SUV. After unloading the kayaks they drove back to the Devon launch, left the SUV for your take out, and then drove back home in their car. Correct?

I was trying to figure out the logistics for two guys, two canoes and two vehicles, only one of which (truck) can carry the boats: drive to Devon, leave the car there. Proceed to the bridge, launch the canoes and leave the truck there. Get back to Devon, one guy drives the car back to the bridge, picks up the truck, back to Devon to load up the canoes, then back to the bridge to pick up the car. Sheesh, much easier to have the extra non-fishing driver or am I missing something here?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
We watched you getting ready to take off at the bridge, must have been a great afternoon.

I was trying to go through the logistics of the shuttle in my mind but think that it went like this: wife/daughter-in-law (or daughter) left a car at the Devon launch and then accompanied you to the bridge in the SUV. After unloading the kayaks they drove back to the Devon launch, left the SUV for your take out, and then drove back home in their car. Correct?

I was trying to figure out the logistics for two guys, two canoes and two vehicles, only one of which (truck) can carry the boats: drive to Devon, leave the car there. Proceed to the bridge, launch the canoes and leave the truck there. Get back to Devon, one guy drives the car back to the bridge, picks up the truck, back to Devon to load up the canoes, then back to the bridge to pick up the car. Sheesh, much easier to have the extra non-fishing driver or am I missing something here?
Yes we had a great afternoon.
We drove a car and suv to Devon. Left the car at Devon and my son, daughter wife and I drove to Genessee with the two kayaks. My wife and daughter then went back to Edmonton. When we got to Devon we loaded the kayaks on the car and went home.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 PM

You could call http://www.canoeheads.com and inquire about their shuttle service