Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Default Gt500

Any of you guys have a good year?

Youtube

Love the sound.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Not having a manual transmission takes away from it. I know all fast high end cars are walking away from manual gear shifts but for me it takes away the point of owning a sports car.

I’d take an older GT500 or the GT350R.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:46 PM

It's a domestic. Yawn.

Rather spend the money on something that doesn't have to go back to the dealership 8 times in the first year to get the bugs out then rattle, squeak, and require a high power stereo to overcome the windnoise for the rest of it's life.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
It's a domestic. Yawn.

Rather spend the money on something that doesn't have to go back to the dealership 8 times in the first year to get the bugs out then rattle, squeak, and require a high power stereo to overcome the windnoise for the rest of it's life.

Hopefully you're talking about Porsche, as Bimmers certainly aren't without their problems, and Italian sports cars have never been a confused with a reliable vehicle. Much to your chagrin, many high performance cars currently being produced domestically are very capable and reliable vehicles.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM

I prefer Japanese manufacturers myself, but you have to admit Ford is the one pushing the envelope and taking risks on crazy production sports cars. They deserve credit for bringing these monsters to dealerships.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Hopefully you're talking about Porsche, as Bimmers certainly aren't without their problems, and Italian sports cars have never been a confused with a reliable vehicle. Much to your chagrin, many high performance cars currently being produced domestically are very capable and reliable vehicles.
I think he's trolling.

This essentially has no equivalent foreign competition.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 PM

I’ve driven 2 mustangs. A 2018 with the eco boost and a 2008 bullit. While I wouldn’t buy a mustang without the v8 just because it’s a muscle car and I prefer a manual in a mustang, I sure wouldn’t kick that GT500 out of my garage! Nice car!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I think he's trolling.

A Nissan GT-R might be a reasonable competitor, but with a rear mounted gear box I'm thinking it would be more comparable to a Z-06.

Colin
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 AM

Thumbs up

What a howl!!

Did you order one Trochu?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-22-2019, 11:13 AM

I'm an old school iron guy... The new stuff is ok but nothing will compare to the classics IMO.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
What a howl!!

Did you order one Trochu?
Ha, I wish. The year was good, not that good though.

Maybe next year.....
Old 03-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I always have wished they would take that modern technology and have it wrapped in a 65 mustang type body......man they would sell like hot cakes!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I always have wished they would take that modern technology and have it wrapped in a 65 mustang type body......man they would sell like hot cakes!
Look up Revology. Pretty much what your are talking about. Only problem is they start at over $100K us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_l6-LzJ2Y
Old 03-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This is what you wanted right here, I've seen one at the Barrett Jackson last year and it was very impressive! If money were no object, that would be fun!

https://www.classic-recreations.com/...ALw_wcB#models

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I'm an old school iron guy... The new stuff is ok but nothing will compare to the classics IMO.

Yeppers. 69 - 71 Mopars, 65 - 72 CHEVY, 68 - 70 Ford's, 60's Go's, and back into 55-57 Chevy' s as build bases. Hard to beat. Metal vs plastic.

Still kick myself for selling my 69 Z28.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I think he's trolling.

No trolling at all. Europeans understand there's more to a car than an engine is all. Its called workmanship and refinement and that's something North America has never really figured out. Hasn't been that long that NA has considered suspensions, brakes, etc important components.

Not unlike comparing a Rem 783 to a Sako. Both might shoot the same cartridge but....
Old 03-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
No trolling at all. Europeans understand there's more to a car than an engine is all. Its called workmanship and refinement and that's something North America has never really figured out. Hasn't been that long that NA has considered suspensions, brakes, etc important components.

Not unlike comparing a Rem 783 to a Sako. Both might shoot the same cartridge but....
Exactly right. When I was considering what to buy myself I drove a 65 GT350 convertible, then drove new Mustang and Challenger.....and bought a Porsche. Not nearly as 'powerful', but so much better, and more engaging to drive. It won't beat a NA muscle car in any straight line race, but you don't buy a Porsche to do that now do you? Although the newer 911s can certainly do a very respectable straight line run as far as that goes. (I have the 'lowly' Cayman baby brother of the 911...mid engines are amazing!)

For all intents and purposes, 275 hp in a sub 3000 lb car is way more power than you can legally use anyway, so go with the handling and drive. That was my reasoning. And, because once I drove the Porsche, there was no other decision to be made.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Exactly right. When I was considering what to buy myself I drove a 65 GT350 convertible, then drove new Mustang and Challenger.....and bought a Porsche. Not nearly as 'powerful', but so much better, and more engaging to drive. It won't beat a NA muscle car in any straight line race, but you don't buy a Porsche to do that now do you? Although the newer 911s can certainly do a very respectable straight line run as far as that goes. (I have the 'lowly' Cayman baby brother of the 911...mid engines are amazing!)

For all intents and purposes, 275 hp in a sub 3000 lb car is way more power than you can legally use anyway, so go with the handling and drive. That was my reasoning. And, because once I drove the Porsche, there was no other decision to be made.
How about exactly wrong. Its like comparing a relatively underpowered, expensive, really nice Anschutz BR-50 .22 to a Tikka T3x in .308.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
That's the problem, they don't shoot the same cartridge. The import is a .22 and the GT500 is a .308.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
How about exactly wrong. Its like comparing a relatively underpowered, expensive, really nice Anschutz BR-50 .22 to a Tikka T3x in .308.
Each to their own. Drive a mega horse power ox cart all day long if you like. I prefer my relatively underpowered Porsche.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:

To be fair a new mustang is also half the cost of a 911. It really shouldn't be as refined. For what is paid they are very respectable.

The special editions of the Mustangs and Challengers are all about horsepower. Do a good job of it as well.

I like the old cars as well but no braking or handling.

I think this era of performance vehicles is incredible. High power good handling and braking. Can still get decent fuel mileage as well.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
To be fair a new mustang is also half the cost of a 911. It really shouldn't be as refined. For what is paid they are very respectable.

The special editions of the Mustangs and Challengers are all about horsepower. Do a good job of it as well.

I like the old cars as well but no braking or handling.

I think this era of performance vehicles is incredible. High power good handling and braking. Can still get decent fuel mileage as well.
yes there is a heavy price differential...and you are paying for refinement, with about a 25% premium for the badge unfortunately. They also hold their value much better though. I couldn't in good conscience shell out for a new one, and park it six months a year. That's an expensive toy. But getting a low km, mint car that was 6 years old, for less than a new Mustang? All day long I'll take that deal.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Although I haven't driven one, I understand the Porsche Cayman is supposed to be a unbelievable joy to drive. Even better than the other Porsche offerings. There is something about the styling on the new Porsche's that just don't sit well with me though. Plus I don't know if I'd want the stigma of a newer Porsche owner. I will take a 930 911 slant nose any day though.

As mentioned in my earlier post, Ford is really producing some great vehicles that have loads of power, but also competent suspension and breaking. I think they're out shining the European and Japanese competition. If it was between a new Porsche Cayman or the GT350R I think I'd have to go with the Ford. I'd want both under warranty though during my ownership. I hear the GT350R engine replacement is a $30,000.00 touch and I'm sure Porsche wouldn't be much better.

And this opinion is coming from a guy who drives the ultimate under-powered, light-weight, great handling champ, the DC2 Type R.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Myself and the wife were looking for a sports car for weekend getaways. Looked at mustangs, challengers and the camaro. Ended up picking up a used Nissan Altima coupe with the 3.5 v6. Perfect for 2 people and golf clubs and luggage and is by far a better ride and still has tonnes of power at 300 hp!
Old 03-23-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
Myself and the wife were looking for a sports car for weekend getaways. Looked at mustangs, challengers and the camaro. Ended up picking up a used Nissan Altima coupe with the 3.5 v6. Perfect for 2 people and golf clubs and luggage and is by far a better ride and still has tonnes of power at 300 hp!
Sorry, I have driven a V6 Altima, decent car but that is no where near a sports car. Convertible Mustang for the price is hard to beat, new or used. Cost of ownership on a Porsche is just plain stupid and more than offsets any retained value argument. I do almost all my own work but Porsche is making that next to impossible on the new models with all their proprietary tools and equipment. I do not want to have to pay the dealership $5-$15 thousand a year for regular service work.

Probably the best deal going for performance versus dollars is the Corvette. Tremendous handling and power, easy to service and work on. If it came in AWD it would be the perfect year round sports car.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:16 PM

What kind of work are you having done on your Porsche that is costing that much every year? They are for sure expensive to have work done, but having said that I've only needed to change oil so far in 3 years....will need a set of tires after this season but even that is under two grand. They tend to be very reliable vehicles. Weekend track meets will take a toll on brakes and rubber but that's to be expected...and I don't track mine anyway.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
What kind of work are you having done on your Porsche that is costing that much every year? They are for sure expensive to have work done, but having said that I've only needed to change oil so far in 3 years....will need a set of tires after this season but even that is under two grand. They tend to be very reliable vehicles. Weekend track meets will take a toll on brakes and rubber but that's to be expected...and I don't track mine anyway.
At dealer prices, 6 oil changes, 5K interval, a year at 400 a pop, one set of plugs every 30K, $700, 1 set of brakes every 20K $3,000-$4000 depending on rotor wear etc, one set of tires every 10K $3,000, major service every 20K $2,000 and that is not track running the car.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
At dealer prices, 6 oil changes, 5K interval, a year at 400 a pop, one set of plugs every 30K, $700, 1 set of brakes every 20K $3,000-$4000 depending on rotor wear etc, one set of tires every 10K $3,000, major service every 20K $2,000 and that is not track running the car.
Is that a 911 model? I'm sitting at $325 I per painful oil change....they did the major service at 60K km and it range in at $1700 so comparable. I suspect an 09 Cayman is a bit less to work on than newer 911 models, but yes, they aren't cheap to service. You pay for the badge, no question.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM

Oh I’d buy one! In a heart beat, Ive always thought one day I’ll go buy a new mustang. I just love them, I really enjoy the newer body styles and the GT350, but maybe I’ll be able to buy a GT500.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
That's the problem, they don't shoot the same cartridge. The import is a .22 and the GT500 is a .308.

But in this case the 308 has a plastic barrel and will cost the owner thousands running it back and forth to the gunsmith during it's limited lifespan.

Nice vehicle for those needing to over compensate for something tho.