Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Default Newell Lake and Little Red Deer River

Anyone been over to Newell Lake recently? Wondering if it might be a good spot to take my little 2 man inflatable (good quality, not a beach toy) and son out fishing next week.
Also we're heading to Red Lodge and wondering how the fishing is in the Little Red Deer River - worth bringing the gear or not many bites? We'd be shore fishing there.

Thanks kindly!!
Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Haven't been out there this year, so I'm curious on the current state of the lake, but be VERY careful with such a small boat on that lake. The winds can whip up awful fast and make the lake very treacherous. If you don't have a motor, stay very close to shore and head in at the first sign of bad weather.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melabee View Post
Anyone been over to Newell Lake recently? Wondering if it might be a good spot to take my little 2 man inflatable (good quality, not a beach toy) and son out fishing next week.
Also we're heading to Red Lodge and wondering how the fishing is in the Little Red Deer River - worth bringing the gear or not many bites? We'd be shore fishing there.

Thanks kindly!!
The little red is running very warm right now so not sure I would be targeting the trout but that section of the little red holds both pike and walleye and also a bunch of goldeye this time of year. Like I said the water is warm so it should be nice for swimming.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much

If the winds are that unpredictable on Newell we'll just try our luck from the shore - as new to boating as we are to fishing so we'll focus on gentler spots to practice for now 🖒 thanks for the insight!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 PM

Went Newell last weekend, was slow, took a long time to get onto the fish, spent a lot time switching methods, once we were on them, it was great fishing. Caught lots of pike, quite a few walkeye.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 PM

dont stay on shore because of the potential for bad weather, Just be smart and stay close to shore, To be honest some of your best fishing is along the shore of kinbrook island. But dont tell anyone that I said that.