Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Just to throw another curve ball at people considering units.

Don't write off the Garmin units.
That's funny you should mention that! I was considering one of the Garmin units for my inflatable.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Bottom hardness autochart live or bottom hardness when making maps using autochart pro on the computer?

The autochart live helix models did not have bottom hardness last year, I know that and the weeds is new for them this year(as well as being offered on the 5's and 7's as well).
Yes - BUT - I don't have the Helix - I have the ONIX 10SI - these units came out with bottom hardness, mosaic, etc.. right out of the box and a few other features not available on the original Helix units (not sure about the new ones).
Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Had to rub my eyes, thought I was having a halucification.lol

That said I also agree.
I was drunk when I posted that ..... and in a good mood.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I was drunk when I posted that ..... and in a good mood.

lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM

Stopped into bass pro tonight. They have 1 Lowrance HDS 7 gen 3 left plus the demo. It comes with the 83/200 ducer. Regular $1299 so it's a good price but that screen sure is small.

One other thing I did notice is the motorguide Xi5 at the same thrust rating as the new terrova is Almost $1000 cheaper once all the rebates settle. That's a BIG difference!!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Yes - BUT - I don't have the Helix - I have the ONIX 10SI - these units came out with bottom hardness, mosaic, etc.. right out of the box and a few other features not available on the original Helix units (not sure about the new ones).
I thought the bottom hardness and mosaic was done on the computer with autochart pro, I never realized that the Onix units themselves were capable of all that.

The new helix's have bottom hardness and weeds added now but still not SI mosaic to my knowledge. A bit surprised by that since they must be capable of adding it as well if they already had it on the old Onix units.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlYiNGuY View Post
Stopped into bass pro tonight. They have 1 Lowrance HDS 7 gen 3 left plus the demo. It comes with the 83/200 ducer. Regular $1299 so it's a good price but that screen sure is small.

One other thing I did notice is the motorguide Xi5 at the same thrust rating as the new terrova is Almost $1000 cheaper once all the rebates settle. That's a BIG difference!!
To really take advantage of SI you pretty much need a 9+ inch screen and the bigger the better. The small screen units will show you the obvious structure but it will be hard to interpret the fine details.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I thought the bottom hardness and mosaic was done on the computer with autochart pro, I never realized that the Onix units themselves were capable of all that.

The new helix's have bottom hardness and weeds added now but still not SI mosaic to my knowledge. A bit surprised by that since they must be capable of adding it as well if they already had it on the old Onix units.
You they are, and you are correct - they did add these features on the ONIX series only through a software update, however, that was years before it came out on the Helix units I think. (even before the first Helix unit was ever on the market actually).

I guess that's why you "pay the price premium" ( ONIX versus Helix) for the slighter higher end units. A lot of guys who spent the $4500 on an ONIX only to have Humminbird introduce the exact same features in a model half the price (Helix) would have been pretty ticked off.

So, what you get for your "premium unit price" is more features, more updates, 18months to 24 months sooner. Autochart Live is an example of that.

That's precisely why it isn't advertised boldly. Owners of the higher end units are just told (through email) that there are "new features or functions available" on the next update and here's the link.

They basically say the software fixes "these bugs" but also adds new testing technology like "these functions or features".

Is it worth the extra money? I don't know. I do know many people just can't resist the temptation to get he latest and greatest technology and are willing to pay for it.

Clever marketing .... and a way not to tick off the guys who spend more money to get the "latest and greatest" only to see the same technology appear on a cheaper unit a few months later.

Last edited by EZM; 03-08-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I guess that's why you "pay the price premium" ( ONIX versus Helix) for the slighter higher end units. A lot of guys who spent the $4500 on an ONIX only to have Humminbird introduce the exact same features in a model half the price (Helix) would have been pretty ticked off.
Strange that they discontinued the Onix without a similar replacement. The Solix is similar but much larger, lots of guys would prefer to have the 8 or 10 inch screen I would think.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:42 PM

I have a cottage on a big lake in Ontario, we use Lowrance on the big boat, Hummingbird on the 14 foot "fishing" boat, and a portable Garmin for our fly in fishing trip each spring. Of them all, I like the little Garmin the best. Easy to use, tough as hell in it's portable carry case, and the most inexpensive of the bunch...go figure....
Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Strange that they discontinued the Onix without a similar replacement. The Solix is similar but much larger, lots of guys would prefer to have the 8 or 10 inch screen I would think.
I think the technology on the Helix will appeal to 99% of the guys looking for a high end, full function unit. The new Solix will be for the 1%ers. The guys who want the biggest and best (or might really want/need one of those features not offered on the Helix units).

In my mind the ONIX is now cleverly re-branded as the new improved SOLIX. Get your wallets out gear junkies - here's something new.

If I were in the market for a new unit today - I'd probably pick up the biggest and best Helix and would not be so compelled to buy a few features for a fat fist full of dough.

Like I said a few years ago when Lowrance and Humminbird were at war with the "first to market with cool new, bigger, better technology" .......

The real winners in this technology war are us, the consumers.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:51 PM

There is also Simrad, Lowrances big brother.

Lowrances and Humminbird units are expensive enough.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I think the technology on the Helix will appeal to 99% of the guys looking for a high end, full function unit. The new Solix will be for the 1%ers. The guys who want the biggest and best (or might really want/need one of those features not offered on the Helix units).

In my mind the ONIX is now cleverly re-branded as the new improved SOLIX. Get your wallets out gear junkies - here's something new.

If I were in the market for a new unit today - I'd probably pick up the biggest and best Helix and would not be so compelled to buy a few features for a fat fist full of dough.

Like I said a few years ago when Lowrance and Humminbird were at war with the "first to market with cool new, bigger, better technology" .......

The real winners in this technology war are us, the consumers.
Bold - We win but at what cost.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Spectacular thread. Thanks everyone! I had my mind set on the Helix 10 SI G2N MEGA but after spending some time at the fishin hole, I have to say the function of the Lowrance better suits my style.

Now just to decide how much to spend to get a middle of the road but decent model. I'm thinking the HDS-9 gen 3 with a totalscan or 3D.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlYiNGuY View Post
Spectacular thread. Thanks everyone! I had my mind set on the Helix 10 SI G2N MEGA but after spending some time at the fishin hole, I have to say the function of the Lowrance better suits my style.

Now just to decide how much to spend to get a middle of the road but decent model. I'm thinking the HDS-9 gen 3 with a totalscan or 3D.
I like your choice. I really like my HDS. If you go that route and have any Insight Genesis questions shoot me a PM. I've been using it for 2 years and am pretty familiar with it.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
In store at CrossIron and in Canadian dollars.

I didn't believe it when I saw it and had the guys at the counter check if it was correct. It is.

I don't need one but I almost bought one anyway lol.

They only have a few of them.
Stopped in there this morning and the Gen 3 HDS 7 is back up to $1550.

It was too good to be true...
Old 03-11-2017, 05:32 PM

It was true for a brief time
Old 03-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Bottom hardness autochart live or bottom hardness when making maps using autochart pro on the computer?

The autochart live helix models did not have bottom hardness last year, I know that and the weeds is new for them this year(as well as being offered on the 5's and 7's as well).
I just looked and last years helix models have an update for the auto chart live bottom hardness and weed mode . Lots of other improvements

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip