Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
But in this case the 308 has a plastic barrel and will cost the owner thousands running it back and forth to the gunsmith during it's limited lifespan.

Nice vehicle for those needing to over compensate for something tho.
Haha, says the guy who needs a "nicer" vehicle.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Probably the best deal going for performance versus dollars is the Corvette. Tremendous handling and power, easy to service and work on. If it came in AWD it would be the perfect year round sports car.

Saw one explode once from a fairly minor front end collision on a - 20 day. Plastic everywhere.

I don't really think the words sports car and North American built belong together.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Haha, says the guy who needs a "nicer" vehicle.

Which one? Very happy with what I have actually, neither being a rapid depreciating pvc Hot Wheels knock off.

Maybe one day the domestics will figure out a way to get something they build to run the fastest quarter mile times for 7 years running too, You'd think with their long running focus on horsepower they'd have got there sometime before 2018.

I'm sure NA's fill a void for lots of folks who prefer to stay with the status quo disposables tho.

Last edited by 270person; 03-23-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Saw one explode once from a fairly minor front end collision on a - 20 day. Plastic everywhere.

I don't really think the words sports car and North American built belong together.
That's be because they have a fiberglass body. Who is driving their 'Vette when it's-20C?!?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
That's be because they have a fiberglass body. Who is driving their 'Vette when it's-20C?!?

You'd have to ask the dummy driving it I guess. His first mistake was buying one.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Although I haven't driven one, I understand the Porsche Cayman is supposed to be a unbelievable joy to drive. Even better than the other Porsche offerings. There is something about the styling on the new Porsche's that just don't sit well with me though. Plus I don't know if I'd want the stigma of a newer Porsche owner. I will take a 930 911 slant nose any day though.

As mentioned in my earlier post, Ford is really producing some great vehicles that have loads of power, but also competent suspension and breaking. I think they're out shining the European and Japanese competition. If it was between a new Porsche Cayman or the GT350R I think I'd have to go with the Ford. I'd want both under warranty though during my ownership. I hear the GT350R engine replacement is a $30,000.00 touch and I'm sure Porsche wouldn't be much better.

And this opinion is coming from a guy who drives the ultimate under-powered, light-weight, great handling champ, the DC2 Type R.

Go with a 918 over the Cayman. You'd forget the name Ford quickly.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 PM

Im still trying to figure out the stigma on newer Porsche owners.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-24-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I'd recommend a limited production vehicle with only 918 units made, which happened to cease production in 2015, and started at $845,000.00 US vs a Mustang as well. Think these two were cross shopped much?

Why didn't I follow my own advice when I said something about trolling.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:

You've been in a 918? Wow I've only actually seen one of them. With starting $US prices of $850K for the 918 and $55K for the Cayman I would think that one might perform a bit better. You should jump on that 918 when you can, as they stopped production in 2015 at you guessed it 918 units. They currently sell between $1.5 and $2 million US, good luck.

Last edited by HVA7mm; 03-24-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Big deal!; you ever pay the repair cost from a front end collision on an Aluminum bodied Audi, a Porsche 911 or a Ferrari. Any of those would cost more to repair than the Vette cost new.

When you say the Vette isn't a sports car, have you ever even driven one made in the last 6 years? I have had or driven most of the exotics, semi exotics and domestic sports cars. From first hand experience, the Vette is a true sports car for less than 60% of a base Porsche 911, less than 20% of the more expensive Porsche and less than 10% of a new Ferrari. You want to talk about crap performing sports cars check out Lancia, Fiat, Jaguar, Sunbeam, Maseratti and Lamborginin. Absolute terrible reliability, high maintenance costs and mediocre performance. All European designed and built.

Price and European heritage does not define sports car, reliability and performance does. The Ford Mustang and Vette provide both.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Im still trying to figure out the stigma on newer Porsche owners.....
No kidding, I couldn't imagine the stigma a person faces over having a car that is better in every way over its predecessors....................
Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You'd have to ask the dummy driving it I guess. His first mistake was buying one.
Do tell.

What exactly is wrong with vettes?

I only bought 1 brand new, but will buy another.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 AM

The day I buy a porch is the day I get my first pair of skinny jeans.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 AM

I'm not a huge mustang fan but that video kind of makes me want to drive one.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Big deal!; you ever pay the repair cost from a front end collision on an Aluminum bodied Audi, a Porsche 911 or a Ferrari. Any of those would cost more to repair than the Vette cost new.

When you say the Vette isn't a sports car, have you ever even driven one made in the last 6 years? I have had or driven most of the exotics, semi exotics and domestic sports cars. From first hand experience, the Vette is a true sports car for less than 60% of a base Porsche 911, less than 20% of the more expensive Porsche and less than 10% of a new Ferrari. You want to talk about crap performing sports cars check out Lancia, Fiat, Jaguar, Sunbeam, Maseratti and Lamborginin. Absolute terrible reliability, high maintenance costs and mediocre performance. All European designed and built.

Price and European heritage does not define sports car, reliability and performance does. The Ford Mustang and Vette provide both.

Reliability defines Ford and Chevrolet? News to me. The Japanese own that attribute I'd say and on that slant Lexus makes a very fine automobile that competes nicely against the Euro's and NA builds.

You prefer straight out, straight ahead muscle and I prefer luxury sports type. We're both entitled to our likes and dislikes. Take all things into account, including depreciation, fit and finish, driveability, etc, and I don't think the domestics come close. That said I think the F150 is the best selling vehicle in NA so most of us drive what suits our day to day needs and can't afford the cars we're batting around here. Hell, I take shots over my gas 4x4 when I'm in the GP area working because its not a diesel. I get it 100%. Glad i dont drive a Korean SUV into the field. The harassment would be unbearable.

All the back and forths over what is what in this post will be moot one day soon anyways when electric automobiles get more market traction. Not many gas engines can produce that kind of torque that quickly. Drag racing without the noise would be kind of hilarious.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post

You should at least consider one tho. They're great to sit out on with a coffee or beer and just kick back chillin. I heartily recommend an Adirondack chair to go along with as well.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I'd recommend a limited production vehicle with only 918 units made, which happened to cease production in 2015, and started at $845,000.00 US vs a Mustang as well. Think these two were cross shopped much?

Why didn't I follow my own advice when I said something about trolling.

Shhhhhh now. We were talking fine automobiles. Not comparing our Hot Wheels collections.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
You've been in a 918? Wow I've only actually seen one of them. With starting $US prices of $850K for the 918 and $55K for the Cayman I would think that one might perform a bit better. You should jump on that 918 when you can, as they stopped production in 2015 at you guessed it 918 units. They currently sell between $1.5 and $2 million US, good luck.

I thought we were talking Porsche to Porsche models there for a second. Sorry.

And, I'm waiting to see if I get a raise in 2019 before I make any hasty decisions on a new vehicle.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I'm trying not to picture you in skinny jeans on your new porch, where all the neighbors can see you....agree, you shouldn't buy either. Stay inside in your tighty whitey...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 AM

Didn't the porch dealership give you a pair of those jeans when you bought your car? I think they put a pair in the safety kit in the trunk. Along with a handkerchief and some hand lotion.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 AM

All kidding aside, drive what makes you smile. I like my bikes and my hot rods. They put a smile on my face and that's what I pay for. Your Porsche does the same for you. You'll never enjoy your ride if you bought it because everyone else said it was cool. I did see a 4 wheel drive Porsche racing on a snow track and he was hauling some serious a** I gotta admit that was pretty sweet to watch. Back to the op. Again not a huge mustang fan but that new gt500 also looks pretty sweet.