Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Default Tactics forCrown land WT hunt with child- first timer

Curious if anyone wants to talk about tactics they've used for hunting whitetails on crown land with their kids.
I'm taking my son out for his first season (rifle hunt). I'm thinking about picking up a portable ground blind. Something we can pack in but not leave behind, hang some attractant, rattle, maybe even use a decoy doe.

I've always been more of a muley hunter, run and gun kinda guy. So this sitting still thing is new.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 AM

Try to find a newer pipeline like from last winter. That usually draws them in. Walk down a ways, try to find a corner or bend where you won't be seen from a road crossing. I would be cautious using a decoy on crown land as there is a possibility of it getting shot. You absolutely want to make sure that the decoy is in no way in line with your blind looking down a clearing.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Banned

I would also like to dissuade you from using a decoy on Crown land.

You can still spot and stalk, don't limit yourself to still hunting.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:21 AM

I have to second the opinion of not using a decoy. I honestly wouldn't at any time during rifle season.

I'd do a walking hunt myself. Walking very slow. It wont try the patience as much. If you are used hunting on the move, you can do it with WT too but need to move extra slow and really take your time and watch the wind. Stop OFTEN to glass the edge of tree lines.

Main part is to have fun.

What general area are you looking to hunt and have you completely ruled out private land? Your son will be holding a tag?
Old 10-06-2019, 10:23 AM

I had two kids with me last season 10 and 7. I rattled in several bucks.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Banned

I third the no decoy, I know a guy who almost got shot because of his decoy. He was absolutely stupid in the way he set up, having the decoy between himself and the entrance to the field he was hunting, but it could happen to a smart hunter as well.

I like to hunt river valleys where I can set up on a higher vantage point on a sparsely wooded area with large mature trees. Try to set up on the south side of the valley so you’ll have the sun at your back.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I have to second the opinion of not using a decoy. I honestly wouldn't at any time during rifle season.

I'd do a walking hunt myself. Walking very slow. It wont try the patience as much. If you are used hunting on the move, you can do it with WT too but need to move extra slow and really take your time and watch the wind. Stop OFTEN to glass the edge of tree lines.

Main part is to have fun.

What general area are you looking to hunt and have you completely ruled out private land? Your son will be holding a tag?
We've got some access to private 310, 312, 318 but that's through friends. I was thinking 316,412, 414. I've had success with WT in those units.
He'll be carrying his own tag, gen wt. Might take him to a muley spot too, but it's a bit of a steep hike.

The decoy I picked up a few years back and never used it. It's currently set up in my gear room and scares the crap out of me every time I walk in! But yeah, setting it up on crown definitely has it's risks.

The walking slowly idea sounds good. especially if we're carrying a portable ground blind. We can always stop and set up if we find a good spot.

I want him to catch the bug so to speak, so having fun is important.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Less stuff you have to pack the better. Remember, if you shoot something you need to drag it out so if you are already loaded up with gear that makes it more difficult. It is easy to make a blind from natural materials you can gather with a knife, or carry a small rolled up chunk of camo netting in your pocket and just wrap it around three trees. Most of the time I just sit with some Willows or small trees behind me, deer don't seem to notice unless you are standing in the open. Definitely carry a grunt tube and some antlers, I use the plastic sticks in a rattle bad, (Primos makes a version about 6 inches long by about 5" around) way more compact and they work just fine.

https://binged.it/2MhLwJV

Last edited by Dean2; 10-06-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:53 AM
Banned

When I started taking my two with me I learned one very important lesson. Little kids get colder a lot faster than adults. Had to quit an hour before last light in prime time the first time I took them in during November. After that I packed in enough outer layers in my day bag to dress them up like the Michelin man once I got them in the blind. Strip them down again before you walk out so they don't overheat.

Patience- kids get bored, make noise, talk out loud etc. Had to bite my tongue and remember it's more about the time spent than sneaking in like a ghost and sitting dead still for 5 hours.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterBlaster View Post
When I started taking my two with me I learned one very important lesson. Little kids get colder a lot faster than adults. Had to quit an hour before last light in prime time the first time I took them in during November. After that I packed in enough outer layers in my day bag to dress them up like the Michelin man once I got them in the blind. Strip them down again before you walk out so they don't overheat.

Patience- kids get bored, make noise, talk out loud etc. Had to bite my tongue and remember it's more about the time spent than sneaking in like a ghost and sitting dead still for 5 hours.

Good luck
Good points.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:39 PM

I'm close to bringing my kids out for big game, but have had them with me in the past. The key is to keep them engaged and happy. I have had my daughter spend some time in a ground blind. My suggestion is to have a small heater in there, and combine it with some walk and stalk, then can warm up in the blind with some snacks and hot chocolate while waiting. It's not always about shooting something, but getting them watching, learning and over all spending time with you. Over the years, they will get better at it, but only if they want to come out, so it has to be fun. Good luck! and I don't think the decoy is a good idea either
Old 10-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Blind, Blanket, heater, rattling, doe bleat, snacks, and iPad with volume off. This set up works it hides their movement, they stay warm, you can get them to help calling, you won’t hear “I am hungry” and if it’s slow the IPad will buy you some hunting time before the “I am bored starts”

Outside of road hunting this is the most kid friendly method I have found
Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 PM

Lots and lots of snacks too. After Halloween is prime 😜