Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 05:31 PM

Default elk

Thanks for posting you guys. Although I am not in on the hunt, I can't wait to read all the updates. Good luck to all of you. Phil
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM

4 hunters today. As of 9am 3 of us had connected. I would suspect the other hunter was successful as well. We hardly scratched the surface of area 2 & saw 200+ cows & calves. Both F&W & Range Control staff were top notch! One of the Range guys lead us in the predawn darkness thru the maze of roads to the crossroads that defined our area. He sure didn't have to do that but it was appreciated.
For those of you that are interested & I sincerely hope whether you were drawn or not we should all contact the Base Public Affairs office email Michelle to express our gratitude for being given the opportunity to hunt on the base.

Michelle's email is: michelle.hauck@forces.gc.ca

I'm sure some kind words would go along way to making this hunt an annual opportunity.

Last edited by Cowboy Al; 11-15-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Al View Post
4 hunters today. As of 9am 3 of us had connected. I would suspect the other hunter was successful as well. We hardly scratched the surface of area 2 & saw 200+ cows & calves. Both F&W & Range Control staff were top notch! One of the Range guys lead us in the predawn darkness thru the maze of roads to the crossroads that defined our area. He sure didn't have to do that but it was appreciated.
For those of you that are interested & I sincerely hope whether you were drawn or not we should all contact the Base Public Affairs office email Michelle to express our gratitude for being given the opportunity to hunt on the base.

Michelle's email is: michelle.hauck@forces.gc.ca

I'm sure some kind words would go along way to making this hunt an annual opportunity.

Agreed, it was Michelle's # that I was going to share with anyone who PMed for the info. Lets get those emails and phone calls going guys - we need to let them know how awesome of an opportunity this is, and how awesome the staff out there have been!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 PM

Talking

Be nice if the RMEF or another hunter friendly org could get bull tags/special lic to raffle off for habitat enhancement or purchase.

Or a bull tag raffle for a worthy cause like Wounded Warriors, or hunting opportunitys for the disabled veterans or terminal illnes make a wish type scenarios being on a millitary base kinda fitting that dont ya think.

Either way more oportunity to get at those big guys
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Be nice if the RMEF or another hunter friendly org could get bull tags/special lic to raffle off for habitat enhancement or purchase.

Or a bull tag raffle for a worthy cause like Wounded Warriors, or hunting opportunitys for the disabled veterans or terminal illnes make a wish type scenarios being on a millitary base kinda fitting that dont ya think.

Great suggestions.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Default Good old Cows

Just to let you guys that I shot one of the cows with ear tags on Tuesday morning. She wieghs 345 lbs. All skinned, dressed, head off and no legs. It sure has fat and meat looks good. Time will tell.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

actually, the wild elk federation has publicly denounced this hunt. bob grimsey said he would rather see them transplanted than killed. im sure someone will find a link....it was in a newspaper i read yesterday.

of course if it meant moeny to his organization im sure he could be persuaded.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
actually, the wild elk federation has publicly denounced this hunt. bob grimsey said he would rather see them transplanted than killed. im sure someone will find a link....it was in a newspaper i read yesterday.

of course if it meant moeny to his organization im sure he could be persuaded.
he didn't happen to mention where he would "prefer" them to be transplanted and who is paying, did he????
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 PM

It doesn't sound like much is happening outside the base because of the hunt. I haven't heard of any bulls being scared off the base. Too bad as I was wanting to see some monster elk getting whacked. I thin those Elk have it figured out and are staying put!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Default transplant the elk !!!

we already tried giving the elk to parks canada and other orgs by they didnt want them !!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
Just to let you guys that I shot one of the cows with ear tags on Tuesday morning. She wieghs 345 lbs. All skinned, dressed, head off and no legs. It sure has fat and meat looks good. Time will tell.
Dang, what a tank! That thing had to had to have been handy 600 pounds on the hoof. Wonder how the guys made out today..
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned

We could always just leave the bull elk be. Let them to continue to pass off great genes. A cow elk hunt every year sounds like a great idea tho.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
we already tried giving the elk to parks canada and other orgs by they didnt want them !!!!!!!
Well for sure I can understand Parks canada not wanting them, anyone thats had to make their way to the bathrooms/showers via the long route in Jaspers Wapiti campground in June can guess the reason for that.

Plus they are in the CWD area, not good transplant subjects.

IMO this is the best way under the circumstances to reduce # and not have them go to waste.

Too bad the RMEF feels that way they do a lot of good.
But like others have said, anti's just have to leave the hunt community alone we will self distruct on our own.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Too bad the RMEF feels that way they do a lot of good.
ISB said the "wild elk federation", I don't think RMEF has had much of a presence in canada for a few years.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 PM

Default Suffield hunt

Any word on today's hunt or is everyone tagged out?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Default Friday the 15th!! A day to remember.

Thought I would contribute to this thread a bit from our experience on Friday.

Drewsifur and I head out from Calgary Thursday night and stayed the night in a motel in the Hat. Woke the next morning at 0415, grabbed Timmies in on the way, and were at the community center by 0520. We showed up with some donuts for the troops and settled in for an excellent safety briefing on the range (complete with History!).

• Have your vehicle info with vehicle registration, proof of insurance, tags and photo id ready.
• Everyone had Blaze orange hats and VESTS on.

We decided to exchange cell numbers with the other 2 hunter groups (3 of us in total for the day!!) in case someone spotted an elusive herd in Area 2. Area 2, in the far northeast of the range, was where some of the hunters were in earlier in the week with no success, so we wanted to enhance our chances. We were optimistic!

So we head on out with the hopes of spotting a herd.

Drew and I arrived on site as quickly as possible and made our way to the extreme north eastern edge of zone 2. After driving up and down a couple areas we decided to reference the map we were supplied with to try to come up with an action plan. We asked ourselves “what would a large herd need to get by?” first answer was “water”. So we looked on the map for a water source, and sure enough there was a relatively large lake nearby “hint: named after a city in the Yukon”. So we made our way over to check it out.
Well, as soon as we rounded a corner in the road offering a view of the lake we noticed a very large dark area.

After looking through the bino’s drew and I were both struck silent by the sight of a herd of at least 500 elk. There were small bulls, big bulls, really big bulls and $#%@ loads of massive fat Cows (all of whom have enjoyed far too many years of peace and quiet). After my heart rate became bearable to think, drew and I came up with an action plan. There was no simple way at going at this herd as it was out in the middle of a large bowl with at least a KM of flat approach. This was gonna be no turkey shoot like the boys seen in Area 3. We were in for a hunt.

So, fool heartedly, we made our way to the rim of the depression, and stealthily made our way down into the plain making sure to keep as low as possible (shadows were long) and to keep the wind in our face. Before we left the truck, we made sure to contact the other hunters and spread word of the heard location. I managed to contact one of the trucks (Frank), but lost the number of the other guy (I’m sorry!!).

Our objective was a small rise that offered a bit of cover for our approach. Our plan was to crawl up the rise and take a shot (which would have been a long one at that ~400m+) hoping that the morning sun would not blind us.
Well, about a km out the herd caught wind of us somehow and, as a complete unit, began to stampede in the opposite direction DIRECTLY TOWARD the direction of the other hunters! We actually delivered the herd right in the direction of Frank.

Drew and I then waited and watched 500 elk hot tail it out of the bowl. It was a sight to see. It was after we heard a single shot (must have been Frank), that we concluded that the herd was not coming back our way. So we ran back to the truck (at least a KM up hill in deep snow) and tried to cut off the herd. Long story short, the herd actually ran completely out of our zone (as if they knew we couldn’t follow). The trail they left in the snow was a sight to see.

So, after driving up and down looking for stragglers (only massive antler laden bulls), we decided to explore a bit more into the zone and hope for the herd to return later in the day.

Driving around the base was a real treat. Everywhere you look you see life. Herds of 50+ antelope are common as are the massive Muley and white tail herds complete with monster pig bucks. Makes you feel that you are witnessing a glimpse of what our province looked like 200 years ago. I was also absolutely stunned to see the dominant bull herd-elk arranged in small groups. We came across 6 incredibly massive bull elk sunning on a ridge. We must have watched them for 30 min.

So, after cruising around all day we very quickly ran low of fuel.

• Not a bad idea to bring a couple Jerries’ of fuel, or schedule in at least an hour for a refueling lunch to the main base or Jenner.

After refueling, we returned to the area where we saw the large herd and sat on top of a hill glassing. Late in the day, we spotted a lone elk far in the distance. As we were making our way over, we began to assume it was a bull (since they were everywhere). But, at about a km out we noticed it was a cow!!!!

So after creeping in a quite as possible my buddy drew, with me spotting, took her down in a sweet 450m shot with his Savage .308 (180 grain). We let her expire and had her quartered up, tagged and bagged in no time flat. We took the head to Fish and Wildlife and made our way off the base (dodging deer left right and center).

This hunt was an experience of a lifetime. The troops on the base were unreal as were Fish and Wildlife. We had such an amazing time interacting with them all. It makes me proud to deal with such exceptional ambassadors of our Forces.

We began the long drive home and ended up in bed with a big smile by 2am.

A couple of tips based on our experience.

• Elk are friggen smart. I wish we waited for the other hunters and came up with an actual action plan. The elk were content to feed by the lake and we could have taken all day.

• I can appreciate herd tactics as it is impossible to pick out and focus on a lone individual when they are on the move.

• You gotta move around lots and utilize high points to glass (bring a spotting scope if you got one!).

• Elk will want water next week so look for water on the map.

• Bring a range finder. Our cow looked as if she was 200 yards away and we were surprised when we lazed her in at 450.

• We rented a large truck to spare the ware and tare.

• Exchange numbers with the other hunters and use them. There are plenty elk for everyone and you will need all the help you can get to locate the herd. Come up with a plan to cover as much land as you can. WORK TOGETHER BOYS!

• The elk are skittish of shadows and can spot you far off. Stay low!

• Unofficially: 38 of 50 tags were filled this week!

Feel free to PM me if you want some more info.

Over all, we had an experience of a lifetime and are incredibly thankful to both the Canadian forces and AB ESRD for providing this opportunity. For those who missed out, I would be very optimistic for the next couple of years wink wink.

Last edited by Wiz; 11-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Lol sorry for such a long post! Just laughed when I saw it.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM

No need for apologies - that was an awesome post! Sounds like things picked up a bit in area 3. Glad to hear you had better luck up there than we all did on the first day! Based on the description you gave, it sounds like the elk were hanging south of dishpan lake.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM

More info the better! Pulling a sneak on 500 elk would be a rush. To bad cameras weren't permitted.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Great info Wiz... Glad it worked out for you guys.. Looking forward to our turn on Monday morning..
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Correction. We were in Area 3 not area 2.

Moderator please edit my initial (long post) and make the correction swapping the reference to area 2 and 3

Thank you
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Great writeup and congratulations on the elk!!

I wish they allowed you guys cameras!!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Me too! But I can appreciate the sensitivity. No reason to arm our enemies (foriegn and domestic) with any material.