Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 AM

Default Funny Situation at Canadian Tire

Today i went in to CT Red Deer with the intent of buying my wife a 10/22 for valentines. Nobody with a PAL was on the floor, and the store manager was the only one who could handle guns. He was on his lunch break.

No biggie, slightly irritating, but i have been understaffed too, i can deal with this. I just headed over to peavy mart, and the pet store, and buggered away an hour before returning for attempt # 2 at what should be a quick in and out sale.

The store manager is now available (Shawn), and comes out to help me. It is pretty clear from the get go that his gun knowledge is limited to what the PAL course covers, and not much more. Still fine, it's a 10/22, i can figure it out.

I look quickly and choose the wood model over the synthetic model that they have in the display, then say i will take it, write it up. He gathers all my info, and attempts the online registration. The computer spits it back at him and says the rifle he is attempting to sell is not registered to the store.
He tells me they will straighten it out and to come back tommorow, and passes the buck on Hamish, who usually is holding the fort at the gun counter on weekends, and actually has a place behind the counter.

I ended up at UFA, got the exact 22 she was after (pink laminate carbine), and was out of the store all said and done in 15 minutes.

I called CT, talked to Shawn, to ensure he wouldn't transfer that gun to me, and explained that i was happy to spend more money elsewhere because they have it together. He said "OK" and hung up on me.

Now how **** poor does a gun shop have to be to not have the guns on display registered to them?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 AM

there see, you should have bought the new 10/22 tactical that I have sitting here...

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 AM

is it pink?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM

You get what you pay for, "Shawn" is getting premium wage for his position....maybe $10 an hour . There are only two CT in Westren Canada that sell anything over 499fps to my knowlege. Red Deer is one and Southland CT in Calgary(same owner so as I was told). I always get great service at the Calgary store but I have never been to the Red Deer store. Its a great way to spend my CT Money after collecting it for a year from filling up at the gas station. To date I have used my CT money to buy a .243 savage combo and a 10/22 aswell as various other gun parts.

Side note if you have any questions about your 10/22 let me know I am sure I could help ya..

Happy Shooting
Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
there see, you should have bought the new 10/22 tactical that I have sitting here...
Pics Please, I am always buyin
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 AM

sorry, not pink

or you may be interested in this, Browning Sake 22-250 that has the nicest wood I have seen, but I am sure has never been fired,

or if she likes shiny very cool with the jade grips

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 AM

Poor service means I go somewhere else.

I don't mind paying a "little" more and deal with some people who know what they are doing.