Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How firm is your mattress
Soft 9 13.04%
Medium 20 28.99%
Firm 40 57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2021, 08:02 AM

Default How soft is your bed?

It’s been said that the softness of your bed can impact on sleep. It can alter pressure points and can cause or prevent pressure point pain on hips and shoulders.

According to the sales guys the firm mattresses are best if you are a back sleeper.

Softer mattresses if you are a side sleeper.

So curious and made this poll.

Feel free to comment on if you feel the softness factor has helped or made worse any problems.

Without realizing it…it seems like our current mattress is firm. Wife has hip pain. I get back pain that wakes me up once in a while. Body position sometimes help.

Cheers

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-13-2021, 08:55 AM

Sun, if your wife is in your bed I will come and test it for how soft your mattress is so I have a reference point for comparison.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Sun, if your wife is in your bed I will come and test it for how soft your mattress is so I have a reference point for comparison.
If you want to cuddle up just invite me on a fishing trip and I will think about it.

You flirty guy you.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-13-2021, 09:58 AM

Firm and a side sleeper If i sleep on something soft or even sit on it for any amount of time,when i get up my backs out of place for several hours.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:02 AM

Matress training 101.

Well I was in the biz for about 17 years and sold them, trained people to sell them, picked the new models, store manager and on and on so know a couple of things.
Firm beds are better for back sleepers than side sleepers without a doubt in general.

Softer is better for side sleepers without a doubt.
Firmer is way better for those that are stomach sleepers.
Saying that sometimes you have to throw it all out the window as those really are generalities and what is firm to a 100 lb woman can be musjy to a 300 lb husband and is common.

Always remember you want good support which comes from the coils in a coil mattress or firm foam base in an all foam bed. Then on top of these they add different foams and fibers to add different levels of comfort t9 reduce pressure points and cool. Comfort is also personal and dont let anyone tell you different. The $9000 bed I sleep on may not work for you even though my wife loves it.
I used to tell customers your back or side is not flat so why sleep on a flat bed. Look at the shape of your body and in a perfect world the mattress should mold to it with minimal pressure.
Hot sleepers should avoid beds that wrap around you are are regular visco foam or you may sweat to death as many do. Many new foams breath better and have cooling effects.

Those are just a few basics. I could probably go on for hours. Feel free to pm me if you have spwcifics and I can try to answer for you.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It’s been said that the softness of your bed can impact on sleep. It can alter pressure points and can cause or prevent pressure point pain on hips and shoulders.

According to the sales guys the firm mattresses are best if you are a back sleeper.

Softer mattresses if you are a side sleeper.

So curious and made this poll.

Feel free to comment on if you feel the softness factor has helped or made worse any problems.

Without realizing it…it seems like our current mattress is firm. Wife has hip pain. I get back pain that wakes me up once in a while. Body position sometimes help.

Cheers

Sun
Old 09-13-2021, 02:54 PM

Thumbs up We are both side and back sleepers

IIRC it is a wool lined European pillow top with a really firm foundation, then we put a feather bed on top. It's perfect.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-13-2021, 06:35 PM

Side and belly sleeper on a firm to hard mattress. Soft mattresses pretty much cripple me.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:39 PM

research inclined bed therapy, worked for me
Old 09-13-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
research inclined bed therapy, worked for me
That’s how they slept in medieval time. We saw Shakespeare’s home. They all slept like that… however it was for religious reasons. By sitting upright when evil came to visit they left cause it looked like the person was sitting upright so awake.

Those shorty beds were crazy short.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:48 PM

Plywood with a memory foam topper .
Old 09-13-2021, 09:21 PM

Also think about spinal alignment.
However you sleep ideally your spine should be relatively straight. If your body is flat then yes a firm slab but I have not seen many. Back sleeper with a big butt needs that butt to drop in a bit or the hard slab will push it up and affect your back. A side sleeper needs softer especially top layers so the shoulders and hips drop in. It also reduces pressure so less tossing and turning and sore shoulders, numb fingers. Just general bed knowledge many do not think about or the sales guy just wants to sell a bed.