Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 06:36 PM

Angry RCMP Kept a Copy of the Long Gun Registry

They did it, and they just got caught red-handed.

What a disgrace this is, I am not shocked however. This proves the theory that the Registry data was used in the 2013 High River flood to find firearms and “secure” they for our own good, costing millions to homeowners.

This data should’ve been destroyed in 2012, but everyone here knew they never did it.

I’m angry, and you should be too.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...e-gun-registry
Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Default Juice

When you squeeze an orange and expect apple juice, the fault lies not with the orange. You said it yourself. You knew. We knew.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:47 PM

It doesn't come as a surprise.
We all suspected this.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:58 PM

Just another reason that we can't trust the RCMP.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:21 PM

Angry Who has been living under a rock?

This is not a new revelation, it was revealed in 2015 during the discussions surrounding the new Quebec long gun registry. And confirmed again in 2017.
It was discussed on AO in the Quebec Long Gun Registry thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=358188

Link to June 15, 2017 article in the Toronto Sun:
https://torontosun.com/2017/06/15/th...c-755b979f6f5a
Oops, looks like the Toronto Sun deleted that article, good thing I copied and pasted it on AO in 2019.
BTW- this is the main reason I sometimes copy entire articles to our forum. I expect such controversial articles/topics to be either revised or deleted by MSM. It happens regularly.
Quote:
Canada’s gun registry isn’t gone after all.

Despite a clear vote in Parliament to destroy it, despite a Supreme Court ruling that it could be destroyed and despite assurances from politicians and top bureaucrats – including a senior Mountie – that the data was all destroyed, it turns out there are two copies left of the Quebec portion of the registry.

Questions about the existence of backup copies of the registry surfaced last week after Liberal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale tabled a bill that would give the Quebec government all the records that existed from the registry on April 3, 2015. The bill would also allow the Information Commissioner to review the records in order to settle an outstanding claim.

Goodale refused to answer questions about where the data was being sourced considering the data was supposed to have been destroyed. Rumours of backup copies have long persisted among Canada’s gun owners but never been confirmed, until now.

Goodale’s press secretary, Scott Bardsley, confirmed to me via email that two copies of the registry still exist all thanks to Harper era Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney.

“Under the previous administration, a complete copy of Canadian Firearms Information System (CFIS) from April 3, 2015 was maintained by the RCMP in a secure location due to an investigation by the Information Commissioner into an Access to Information request received in March 2012,” Bardsley said.

Another copy, this one just containing the Quebec gun registry records requested by the Information Commissioner is kept under seal by the court while the case is being heard.

Yes, that’s right, there are still copies of parts of the gun registry and it is thanks to the Conservatives and not the Liberals.

What is significant about the date of April 3, 2015 is that it is exactly one week prior to the date the RCMP claims they began destruction of all the Quebec registry records. Testifying before a Commons committee on June 4, 2015, Deputy Commissioner Peter Henschel told MPs the Quebec records had been destroyed, just like the records for the rest of Canada.

“The RCMP deleted the remaining Quebec records from the Canadian Firearms Information System between April 10 to April 12, 2015,” Henschel said.

Turns out, that testimony wasn’t true and now the hard drive copy the Mounties have will be turned over to Quebec, after the passage of bill C-52, to allow the province to start their own gun registry.

Groups representing gun owners are furious.

Canada’s National Firearms Association, which is suing to block a Quebec registry, said this goes against a law passed by Parliament.

“It is disturbing that the records of the Quebec portion of the firearms registry have remained intact despite the clear will of Parliament to have them destroyed,” president Sheldon Clare of the NFA said.

“It is outrageous that this type of behaviour by the RCMP is tolerated in a modern democracy,” said Tony Bernardo of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association.

“Is there no one that has the courage to deal with the out-of-control RCMP brass?"

Bernardo has a point. Why would Deputy Commissioner Henschel testify before Parliament that the registry records had been destroyed when his department was sitting on a hard drive with the data he claimed was deleted?

The public was lied to by politicians and the Mounties, now they are owed some honest answers.

TIMELINE

May 5, 2012 – C-19, the Ending the Long-gun Registry Act, receives Royal Assent and becomes law

October 26-31, 2012 – all of the long-gun registry data outside of Quebec is deleted by the RCMP

March 27, 2015 – The Supreme Court rules that Quebec has no legal right to the registry data and Parliament can have it deleted

April 3, 2015 – RCMP make a full backup of all data in the Canadian Firearms Information System including the Quebec portion of the registry

April 10-12, 2015 – RCMP deletes the Quebec portion of the registry but not backup they have placed on a hard drive

October 19, 2015 – Justin Trudeau and the Liberals replace Stephen Harper and the Conservatives after winning the election

June 9, 2017 – Liberal introduce bill C-52 offering Quebec the registry data, despite their election promise not to start a new gun registry
Trust no one. Enjoy the decline.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-03-2021, 07:15 AM

Default they knew

What homes had firearms in High River when they illegally broke in and stole them.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:51 AM

What would make anyone think that the RCMP didn't keep a copy, after all Quebec kept a copy, and anyone that thinks Quebec only kept a copy of those registered in Quebec well you know

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:16 AM

Default another government and RCMP cover up

this is why you shouldn't believe the RCMP or the liberal government when it comes to firearms law or regulation.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:19 AM

Is anyone really surprised by this? The only thing that is surprising is the amount of people squealing when the suggestion of a provincial police force is mentioned.
The RCMP have gotten too big for their britches and need to be kicked to the curb. Of course the supreme leader out east will never allow that. With them in power he is untouchable
Old 05-03-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Is anyone really surprised by this? The only thing that is surprising is the amount of people squealing when the suggestion of a provincial police force is mentioned.
The RCMP have gotten too big for their britches and need to be kicked to the curb. Of course the supreme leader out east will never allow that. With them in power he is untouchable
If we had a real government, there would be an investigation, and those responsible would be fired, all pensions forfeited, and charges resulting.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just another reason that we can't trust the RCMP.
who do you trust?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-03-2021, 09:50 AM

Default The question that should be asked "who else has a copy"?

How many copies are floating around?
Old 05-03-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
who do you trust?
The list is growing shorter, but after High River, the Nova Scotia firehall incident and this, the RCMP are a long ways from making that list.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
How many copies are floating around?
hmmm you want one give me your email address....

I know my buddy wife's registered hairdryer is on it....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-07-2021, 07:31 PM

Default Online Petition Started by MP Blaine Caulkins

Here is the link. Hopefully it works. I have signed and am encouraging all my fellow firearms owners to do the same.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-3388

Petition to the Government of Canada

Whereas:

· The Ending the Long-gun Registry Act received royal assent on April 5, 2012, ordering the deletion of the wasteful and ineffective Long-gun Registry;

· The Long-gun registry did nothing to enhance public safety in Canada; and

· It has come to light that the RCMP have unlawfully retained a copy of the personal data that was ordered deleted by Parliament and continues to use said data.

We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to

1. Ensure that the Ending the Long-gun Registry Act is fully upheld and that all personal data associated with the Long-gun Registry, including copies retained by the RCMP and other law enforcement agencies, is fully and permanently deleted;

2. Ensure the deletion is independently verified;

3. Launch an arm’s length public commission under the Inquiries Act to investigate the disregard for the rule of law exhibited by the parties that retained the Long-gun Registry data, that commissioners be appointed, that the commission be authorized to engage the services of the necessary experts, including legal counsel, to assist them in the inquiry, and that the results of the commission be made public.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:40 PM

Default I sent

An e-mail to Kenny on this very topic last week and got a fringing automated response about covid !
Old 05-08-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
An e-mail to Kenny on this very topic last week and got a fringing automated response about covid !
I emailed Kenny in January about daylight saving time legislation, and two weeks ago he responded saying that they have conducted studies that confirm 92% of Albertans would like to end the clock changes, however due to covid being such a focus right now, they wont be devoting any time to other matters.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:48 PM

I have been called crazy but I have never believed they gave up the information. The RCMP is the biggest criminal gang in the county. Any of my firearms that were on the registry have been long sold.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I have been called crazy but I have never believed they gave up the information. The RCMP is the biggest criminal gang in the county. Any of my firearms that were on the registry have been long sold.

You are correct on that and I firmly believe High River is a case study on how things will happen here in the near future.

They have some over zealous members.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:47 PM

Why do we continue to let the government and its agencies run us when it is us who are supposed to run them? Personally, I don’t know how to fix it. I just know it is all so broken and corrupt. For instance: WHERE DOES OUR MOENY GO AND WHY DO THEY JUST KEEP NEEDING MORE OF IT?? WHY DO THEY SAY ONE THING, DO THE OPPOSITE AND THERE ARE NO CONSEQUENCES??

I can’t help but think of the States, their founding fathers, what they went through for their freedom and how they wanted freedom to be preserved. What would men like that think of the governments of today? It’s not just Canada’s government either, sadly it’s all of western civilization.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:44 PM

Default Online Petition Started by MP Blaine Caulkins

I thought there would be more signatures on that e-petition than there are,
only 6119

Nobody interested or is everyone getting numb, it only takes a few minutes .

We cant let the RCMP and the liberals get away with this !!

We have to keep this in the forefront.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip View Post
I thought there would be more signatures on that e-petition than there are,
only 6119

Nobody interested or is everyone getting numb, it only takes a few minutes .

We cant let the RCMP and the liberals get away with this !!

We have to keep this in the forefront.
Yes everyone is numb. Go ahead, take 'em to court, nothing will happen even if we win. They might say oh sorry, we'll destroy it now, give us lip service on the destruction and the registry will live on archived on God knows how many servers and archived files here there and everywhere else. The registry cat has been out of the bag long before the first time they "destroyed" it. They cannot retrieve it to destroy it even if they wanted too, they have no idea where or who has copies. Only good thing is many of the long guns in the old registry have been swapped, sold, disbursed enough to make it essentially unusable.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:12 PM

No one is singing it because it dosnt do anything, look that happened to the last one that was huge. Old billy boy just repeated his normal attack lines and tossed it in the trash and this one will be the same.

Rule #1 of the internet, once something is out there it’s out there for ever. That’s how it works.