Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Default Dog training, teach and train before you test

Some days I feel like a broken record but I suspect some still don't know the difference between teaching training and testing a dog. Cost an acquaintance in the city a 7 month old pup yesterday.

Teaching is showing with repetition the basic commands of sit stay heel come etc.until the dog is letter perfect at each command on leash under control in your yard.

Training is reviewing each one of those commands under as many distracting conditions as you can anticipate. A dog heeling in your yard letter perfect has not been trained on heel until you have introduced children, other family members, squirrels, other dogs, deer, cats, tweety birds and many other things I can not possibly list.

Testing is taking the dog off leash to see what happens when given a command.
Check cords are cheap insurance for if the pet fails the test he could be dead.

I once had a client who really hated having to leash or check cord his dog so he asked when it would be acceptable to start walking the dog without them. I said when you see and think the dog is perfect with every command leave it on for another year.
If you give a command and the dog doesn't obey instantly and you have no way of correcting or changing the disobedience you have just taught the dog that obedience is optional.

Some people evidently don't know the difference for the dog in question never left their side in training the heel command and always responded to the come command instantly.

Distraction training people, if I never have to explain this to a heartbroken family again it will be too soon.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Default dog training

great post..
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Well put Rob, in this business the dogs are the easy part. It's the people that are difficult.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Smile So true

If we only had to train the dog that would be a breeze.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 AM

spot on and too funny, training the dog is the easy part. not that its difficult, its all about being fair and consistent and teaching. Glad you didnt go into the collar aspect on this as this is half the problem