Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM

Default .22 vs .22 mag Ruger Single Six & Single Ten

I am looking at getting a Ruger Single Six Convertible and it can shoot either .22LR or .22Mag. I noticed on Wikipedia(the most reliable source there is!) that the bullet diameter of a .22LR is .222 compared to .224 of the Mag. Does that .002 make a huge difference? It's not like I'm shooting competitions or anything like that, but I would want consistency. Am I just being naive in thinking that .002 is going to give the bullet enough room down the barrel to shake and go off target? Or worse yet, cause some nicking and scratching that will eventually cause more problems?

I was also looking at a Single Ten but wondered if the cartridges being close to each other in the cylinder could also cause some sort of "eroding" of the metal over time, or some sort of cracking of the metal since they would have to be relatively close to each other to fit ten cartridges in one cylinder. I know it's just a .22, but it's still an explosion taking place. And we all know that when you shoot a .22, you're shooting hundreds of rounds

I'm probably just being paranoid as I am sure these guns have undergone rigorous testing, I just want to know as much as I can, especially by anyone out there who has prior dealing with one, and what I can expect. Not to mention, if anyone knows anything about the sizes and if any chipping or metallurgic problems may occur, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 PM

I researched the difference myself, and as I understand it, the bullet is the same, just the magnum brass is thicker and larger diameter.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

The single six I own has 2 separate cylinders one for 22 and one for 22mag.

LC
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
I researched the difference myself, and as I understand it, the bullet is the same, just the magnum brass is thicker and larger diameter.
So I'll get a .22 that can shoot ALL .22's? There is no diameter difference in the actual bullet itself? Just length of cartridge?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Google up some photos of a .22LR beside a .22WMR and note that not only is the .22 WMR longer , but they seat the bullets differently. The. .22LR is obvious in that the projectile is of the same diameter as the outer diameter of the brass case and the bullet is seated in the case by means of a having a reduced diameter to be inserted into the brass (essentially its got a 'muffin top). The .22 WMR bullet is seated more traditionally with the brass case inside diameter matching the bullets outside diameter. I've not tried it, but I think a .22LR case should be pretty close to fitting inside a .22WMR case.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Ruger knows how to make 6 (and 10) shooters, so don't worry about the mechanics. The single six is not designed as a competative target style handgun, so don't worry about getting too technical, they are just loads of inexpensive fun. I bought my only single six because it made me feel like a cowboy. Selling it ranks high on my "shouldn't have sold it" list.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Selling it ranks high on my "shouldn't have sold it" list.
my mistake too!
i had two stainless ones that met the same fate.
what was i thinking......

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
my mistake too!
i had two stainless ones that met the same fate.
what was i thinking......
Thanks guys! It's great to hear feed back from people who've actually owned them before.

I work for the next 3 days so I can use that time to hum and haw about getting one. More like procrastinate about getting one, I know I'm going to, I just have to decide if I want six shots with the possibility to shoot magnum, or ten shots and less reloading.

I've never shot Magnums as all my .22's are LR. Do they provide any extra punch that makes you go "wow", or would I just be better off to get a single ten so there is less reloading and at least it's one ammo for all guns?
I know the choice is ultimately mine, I just like to hear feedback when spending $500 of my hard earned dollars! And everyone has been immensely helpful so far as well, and thank you for that guys!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM

You can get a single six with 2 different cylinders, that way you can switch between 22lr and 22mag.

LC

Tags
.22 lr, .22 mag, ruger, single six, single ten