Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2021, 02:03 PM

Default Princess Auto ATV Tires

Looking around for replacement tires for an '07 Sportsman 500 and '11 Arctic Cat 400, i see 25x8-12 and 25x10-12 are available at Princess Auto for $79 and $129 respectively, the lowest i've seen for these tire sizes. Are the princess auto tires (which no brand is listed which is weird) any good? I know you always get what you pay for, but i don't go anywhere where I'd get myself into deep mud or trouble, mostly established trails and cutlines. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:16 PM

No experience with PA tires. There are however a lot of take off tires, from guys upgrading to swamp tires, in the sizes u are talking. Those were far and away the cheapest, decent quality tires I found when buying new quad tires.

There are a number of sets on kijiji right now for 80 bucks a tire, new dunlop in your size.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-13-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanb View Post
Looking around for replacement tires for an '07 Sportsman 500 and '11 Arctic Cat 400, i see 25x8-12 and 25x10-12 are available at Princess Auto for $79 and $129 respectively, the lowest i've seen for these tire sizes. Are the princess auto tires (which no brand is listed which is weird) any good? I know you always get what you pay for, but i don't go anywhere where I'd get myself into deep mud or trouble, mostly established trails and cutlines. Thanks in advance for your input.
Flat tires still suck on trails and cutlines. Personally I wouldn't use junk tires.
Keep an eye on kijiji. Lot's of good atv tires on there
Old 09-13-2021, 03:15 PM

I got a couple tires for a Honda with a sort of tractor tread from PA. They were excellent. Years ago though
Old 09-13-2021, 03:18 PM

Look at how many plies they are, the two ply tires puncture fairly easily.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:31 PM

Default Tubes?

I put tubes in my quad tires years ago, no more slow leaks. Buying factory takeoffs is a good way to save money and get decent tires.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:47 PM

Kijiji or if your in Edmonton go see kevin at rapid revolution
Old 09-13-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
I put tubes in my quad tires years ago, no more slow leaks.
Installing tubes in Atv tires is not recommended. The lower pressures in a atv tire can cause the tire to spin on the rim, thus breaking the valve stem when a tube is used. They are also harder to fix on the trail when you get a flat. With a tubeless tire you just need to put a string patch in from the outside then pump the tire back up to get you home. With a tubed tire it becomes a big problem if you run something through the tire and puncture the tube.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:26 PM

I work at a dealership that sells side by sides. The tires that come in on our (Diesel Commercial) units are 2 ply. Most of the time we take the 2 ply off on our lot now, and toss them in a pile. Can hardly sell the takeoffs for the performance. We sell aftermarket 10 ply tires with good tread that work a lot better on these units. 2 ply are generally pretty bad offroad. Knowing the market, I would definitely say you get what you pay for. a 10 ply $185-200 tire will last you 3-4 times as long as a cheap tire. We've seen 3-400 hours with factory tires, and in some cases 2000 hours on 10 ply tires. Proper inflation is key. Atleast on the commercial units we run them on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:30 PM

I find tires to be one of those things that you get what you pay for. If it's for putting around the farm I'd be ok with princess auto tires, but if your actually going out quading I'd look elsewhere.

Spending lots of money on tires doesn't mean they're bullet proof either tho. I punctured a new tire with a piece of canola stubble. I repaired it with my plug kit and carried on my way. That was 5 or so years ago. Hasn't gone flat since!

Tags
atv, princess auto, quad, tire, tires