Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Hunting with "pistol" cartridges

I have always had a "yen" for a ruger carbine semi-auto in .44 mag.

Does anyone have onr and have you hunted with it.

Has anyone hunted deer with any rifle chambered in .44 mag. or .357 mag?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 AM

Haven't hunted with one, but I have fired one before. I can see where your "yen" comes frome, its a nice little rifle for sure.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 AM

If you reload, bonus is the extra 600 to 800 FPS velocity you can get over factory ammo for say, a 200gr bullet shot from a modern rifle action.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

I believe if you check the hunting regs you would find that both the 357 mag and the 44 mag the cartidges are are not a legal length hunting cartrdge in alberta
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
I believe if you check the hunting regs you would find that both the 357 mag and the 44 mag the cartidges are are not a legal length hunting cartrdge in alberta
I can not find the regulation for min length, just calibre, can you point me in the right direction please?

It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:

* ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
* ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
* an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
* a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
* a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
* bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting),
* an arrow other than an authorized arrow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a bow other than an authorized bow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a muzzle-loading firearm of less than .44 calibre,
* a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzleloader or shotgun),
* a trap,
* a cross-bow and arrow that is not authorized (click here to view Hunting with a Cross-b
Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Gone Hunting

The minimum cartridge length was removed a few years ago.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 AM
troller

Quote:
Yes it was
Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
It was dropped in about 2003.
The year Winchester brought out their 243WSSM, and 25WSSM cartridges.

Nuttin like trying to stay current with all the changes in the regulations.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I have a stainless Ruger bolt action in 44 mag and I love shooting it. However, everytime I am going hunting.......it gets left behind. Because I know the day I take it, there will be a monster 200 yrds away. I may take it bear hunting this fall, where I know my shots will be under 100yrds.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Robin I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 Rem. Mag.

If you like I could let you try a few 265gr. slugs through it to see how you may like it.

Drop me a PM, and we can meet at either your range or mine.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 AM

I have shot a deer with a 44rem mag rifle, in fact it has open sights and I took the throat out of a doe at about 100 yds and had a hunting buddy watch me do it. I was using a H&R shikari single shot, and if you pm me it could be yours if the price is right.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Obviously a bad mistake, in my judgment.
Grizz
Old 06-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Why do you think it was a mistake grizz?

Here is a comparison of energy between a 30/30 and a .44 rem mag. (Rem. factory chart)

Energy (ft-lbs)
Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
Remington® Express® 170 SP CL 1827 1355 989 720 535 425
Remington® Express® 240 SP 1650 1015 661 501 411 346

Many other states and provinces have allowed such chamberings for hunting for a long time. The Ruger carbine is apparently is reasonably popular with eastern deer hunters.

Most bow hunters like to get within 40 yards or less for a good shot. Most deer get shot at 100 yards or less (least ways that is a common belief). I think these two "pistol" cartridges would be adequate at 100 yards or less.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Why do you think it was a mistake grizz?

Here is a comparison of energy between a 30/30 and a .44 rem mag. (Rem. factory chart)

Energy (ft-lbs)
Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
Remington® Express® 170 SP CL 1827 1355 989 720 535 425
Remington® Express® 240 SP 1650 1015 661 501 411 346

Many other states and provinces have allowed such chamberings for hunting for a long time. The Ruger carbine is apparently is reasonably popular with eastern deer hunters.

Most bow hunters like to get within 40 yards or less for a good shot. Most deer get shot at 100 yards or less (least ways that is a common belief). I think these two "pistol" cartridges would be adequate at 100 yards or less.
As one of the Greek philosophers said, If all men were rational, we wouldn't need laws. Granted, there are circumstances, where these cartridges would be adequate, but some dimwits are going to think this makes an ideal elk or moose cartridge and legally there is nothing to stop them.
Grizz
Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Yes there will always be dimwits. Some will shoot arrows at moose at 100 yards and some will shoot .243s at grizzlies 400 yards away. We can't stop all the mistakes some will make. So should we penalize all the sencible hunters in order to stop the dimwits? Maybe the answer is yes to that question for some things. I don't think this is one of them.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:50 AM

A was never a fan of compromise in a hunting rifle. My time is to valuable.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

well put

same with scopes, etc.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Some hunters "handy cap" themselves somewhat by hunting with something other than the "ultimate tools". Some use a long bow others a compound, some a cross bow and others a flint lock. Modern muzzleloaders can be less primative than old smoke poles but they are still single shots with a limited range. Guys who like to use a 30/30 may not feel "handy caped" but they do have to pass up shots that could be made by someone with a .300 win. mag. in a fine shooting bolt action.

Hunting deer with a ruger carbine in .44 rem. mag. would be applying a self, "handy cap". That may or may not effect ones success while hunting. However it may be more rewarding and fun for some.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:08 PM

And I'm not in to dicken around. I wait too long and work too hard for opportunity.

If I hunt with a primitive weapon it is for more opportunity not less.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 PM

i'm with you duffy, there's hunters and shooters my old man would never shoot a deer over 100 yards away. he always told me if you can't get within 100 yards from a deer you don't belong in the bush.

what about the 454 casull, i woudn't hesitate taking a deer out to 150 maybe 200 yards with one. not exaclty handicapped.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:54 PM

i have a 44 in a ruger lever that i use for cat hunting. great little gun. light, quick and is probably the most accurate gun in the locker. obviously for close range work, although with the new hornady's, it might give the ole 30 30 a run for it's money. the next time I kill a lion, i'll probably have the 44 with me.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Where do you draw the line for a "compromise calibre"? Just curious. I happen to think along the same lines.

For me anything 25 and less is a varmint cartridge in Alberta. If ppl recognized the limitation of the cartridge they are shooting and thier limitations, we would be better off. Maybe the guy with a 44 mag lever gun is more aware of its limitations than the guy with a .243. Actually, I think that this is probably the case. The guy with the 44 mag isnt going to try 600 yard shots on w/t.........but over the years I've heard several guys with 243's attempt it.

Several years ago I had a guy come in and tell me that he shot his deer at 600 yards with his 243. I asked him where he held and he told me "right on".
I asked him where he was zero'd and he told me 200 yards........right.

Catinthehat: You may remember this story, it was in one of the articles I had in Alberta Hunting & Fishing.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM

I have a mod 94 in 44 mag I have carried on occasion, but never had the opportunity to take a hunting shot with it.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Where do you draw the line for a "compromise calibre"? Just curious. I happen to think along the same lines.

For me anything 25 and less is a varmint cartridge in Alberta. If ppl recognized the limitation of the cartridge they are shooting and thier limitations, we would be better off. Maybe the guy with a 44 mag lever gun is more aware of its limitations than the guy with a .243. Actually, I think that this is probably the case. The guy with the 44 mag isnt going to try 600 yard shots on w/t.........but over the years I've heard several guys with 243's attempt it.

Several years ago I had a guy come in and tell me that he shot his deer at 600 yards with his 243. I asked him where he held and he told me "right on".
I asked him where he was zero'd and he told me 200 yards........right.

Catinthehat: You may remember this story, it was in one of the articles I had in Alberta Hunting & Fishing.
At pistol cartridges for sure. I'd sooner hunt with a 243 and a good bullet any day of the week.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
i'm with you duffy, there's hunters and shooters my old man would never shoot a deer over 100 yards away. he always told me if you can't get within 100 yards from a deer you don't belong in the bush.

what about the 454 casull, i woudn't hesitate taking a deer out to 150 maybe 200 yards with one. not exaclty handicapped.
My response to that comment would entail the suggestion that if you can't hit something past 100 yds with a rifle you have no business hunting with one.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 PM

That's a fair comment I suppose Chuck; I know several shooters that just aren't happy unless they are shooting the latest and greatest.

I myself love vintage rifles and surplus beaters. When you shoot the average irons on some of them a 200 yard shot offhand can be a difficult one.

I am unimpressed with cartridge laws; my feeling is that just because some pinhead is shooting an 'acceptable' calibre - it doesn't mean he will be responsible with it. I have seen far too many self proclaimed experts trying shots on game they shouldn't have. How far is too far? 300? 400? 500?

I would LOVE to hunt with a handgun, or a .223 with a well made bullet. I can live with the limitations and if my cartridge costs me an animal because they are too far away to shoot at - that means better chances for you guys and I can live with that.

There are only two reasons to be out there and that is for meat and for fun - and those are the criteria to base your rifle choice on.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
That's a fair comment I suppose Chuck; I know several shooters that just aren't happy unless they are shooting the latest and greatest.

I myself love vintage rifles and surplus beaters. When you shoot the average irons on some of them a 200 yard shot offhand can be a difficult one.

I am unimpressed with cartridge laws; my feeling is that just because some pinhead is shooting an 'acceptable' calibre - it doesn't mean he will be responsible with it. I have seen far too many self proclaimed experts trying shots on game they shouldn't have. How far is too far? 300? 400? 500?

I would LOVE to hunt with a handgun, or a .223 with a well made bullet. I can live with the limitations and if my cartridge costs me an animal because they are too far away to shoot at - that means better chances for you guys and I can live with that.

There are only two reasons to be out there and that is for meat and for fun - and those are the criteria to base your rifle choice on.
That's funny and a good point. I'm the largest proponent of legalizing the .223. But for me the .223 with a good bullet has something positive to give in return. Virtually no recoil at pennies a shot. I'm also not so sure that it's much of a slouch at 4 and 500 yds.