Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 07:25 PM

Default Eyeglasses, Riflescopes, and Binoculars

So I find myself into my 40's now, and what used to be my reading glasses have, seemingly overnight, become a necessity for my day to day life. I can't read without them, and perhaps due to too much phone and screen time, I struggle to adjust having them off - though I can.

I don't hunt with my glasses on. I can see perfectly fine through my riflescope without my glasses, and as far as binoculars go, its nearly impossible to leave glasses on and use them effectively. That said, it is sure a pain hiking around and checking iHunter etc, then putting my glasses in a case to glass and vice versa.

Anyone else struggle with this or have a process to help with it?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:56 PM

Gotcha
I am in my 60s
Have progressive lenses with readers in it
Can't shoot straight with them
Now I am using an older pair of glasses, not progressive, no readers and I can bag my deer again
But if I have to read something or check my phone, then I have to switch glasses
It is a real pain in the ass
Old 04-26-2024, 08:03 PM

Yup! 50's... need my glasses to see... shoot and use bino's... but have to take them off to look at ihunter.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Gotcha
I am in my 60s
Have progressive lenses with readers in it
Can't shoot straight with them
Now I am using an older pair of glasses, not progressive, no readers and I can bag my deer again
But if I have to read something or check my phone, then I have to switch glasses
It is a real pain in the ass
I feel your pain 100% !!!!
Sucks getting old
Old 04-26-2024, 08:08 PM

Sure does suck. I can’t read anything without my short lookers on.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:37 PM

Get used to. Wearing your glasses, you’ll have to eventually do it anyway.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:33 PM

I can see very well at a distance, but need readers up close. I once paid for a pair of progressives that were no perscription on top and 150's on the bottom. That way I could see everything but had to wear glasses all the time and worked pretty good. They broke or I lost them, whatever, never replaced them. Now there's readers in every room of the house, every jacket pocket all the vehicles and the RV, and I still cant find a pair when i need them. And i aint getting a necklace. I've learned to live with them.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Get used to. Wearing your glasses, you’ll have to eventually do it anyway.
Agreed, I've been wearing glasses since my teens, quite comfortable with it.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-27-2024, 09:08 AM

Ended up with basic cheap bi-focals. Scopes, bino's, phone all OK. Tig welding I have to take them off.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:09 AM

My first issue was trying to thread leaders thru hooks in low light, at about 44, then a few yrs later, needed to read up close at work, say 3ft, distances don't alway have as much detail as they could have and used to, now that I'm 69, have my computer screen (a 40" monitor) at 150% magnification to read it without glasses, comfortably, at about 8 ft. I can read it at std mag, but, not comfortably, it is a strain. Still a fair bit of print I can read without glasses. but, definitely prefer to use glasses with, some days eyes will focus easily without, some not.
Using iron sights is pretty much a lost cause now, they're in the range where I need the glasses, but, glasses get in the way and I look thru the frame instead of the glass, need a red dot or scope, don't need glasses for driving, dash is a bit fuzzy, not bad though. Glasses are useless with some small print. I've used good binos and a spotting scope for 35 yrs or so now, don't need glasses with them.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:28 AM

Yup first thing was tying fishing line needed magnifying glasses when I turned 50 started wearing progressives fulltime I had to give up shooting pool couldn't see well enough with or without glasses, for shooting I can see through a scope with safety glasses well enough . Connecting wires behind a TV requires a headlamp everything is black back there.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:56 AM

It was bad when I couldn’t get the crosshairs to focus. I’m full time glasses now. Just got new ones with 30% tint for night driving.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:25 AM

I have been wearing glasses/contacts since grade school. In the past ten years I’ve started to notice that I was having trouble reading my laptop or phone.

I have progressive lenses now for everyday, and the important thing is that IncrediGirl doesn’t think that they make me look nerdy.

I do still wear contacts, but I use monovosision. So my distance lens is in my dominant eye, and my reading lens is in my other eye. Seems to work fine, but I’m not as good at spotting game in the field with that setup for some reason.