Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2020, 01:05 PM

Default ISO lumber for planter boxes

Looking for some lumber to build elevated planters for the wife as she has had knee replacement and can't kneel.
Cedar would be ideal. Something like old cedar deck boards or cedar slabs.
Near Beaumont. Will pay $
Old 04-12-2020, 01:27 PM

I did this a few years back. Went to Rona and bought a couple of damaged cedar fence sections. I think I paid 5 bucks each. Took them apart and repurposed them into planters.

BW
Old 04-12-2020, 01:38 PM

I ordered 6' cedar fence boards from Home depot they substituted 8' sanded one side I don't think they felt like going outside to get them.
I'm making two self watering 36"x 18" X 24" high for our deck.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:43 PM

Default Here's an Idea I just came across

Old 04-12-2020, 02:08 PM

I built planter boxes to attach to my fence for growing beans & peas. I built them of cedar and lined them with landscape cloth. My intent was to not use treated lumber due to the food growing in them, though I think I have a work-around for that. For my next ones I will use treated wood but I will put in a barrier to the lumber by utilizing old plastic election signs. I will wrap the chloroplast with the landscape cloth and use stainless steel staples to fasten that into the planter boxes.

For my raised-bed garden project I have built most of the panels from scavenged T&G pine & cedar, to protect those from rotting I will be using Delta MS foundation wrap and landscape cloth. The landscape cloth will be between the Delta MS and the panels to allow for wicking and drying between them, the Delta MS will of course be a barrier from the wet soil in the garden bed that also protects against the treated lumber at the top and bottom rails of the panels. I will stake the base rails of the panels down securely to prevent lift and will use some threaded galvanized rod between panels to prevent them from bowing out.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:40 PM

A couple years ago I built some "Knock-off Veggie Trugs" for my deck. These sell at Lee Valley, Rona, etc for around $300. My cost to build was around $60. each. I did some research and have learned that the newer generation of treated lumber (Brown coloured stuff) is non-toxic and totally safe to grow food in. I don't have the link any more but the study was done in the US. I added the boxes to my underground sprinkler system and the are totally self operating other than occasional weeding. I drew up a plan to share with some friends and I will try attach it here.
I have hip, knee and spine issues so this is excellent and comfortable for stand-up gardening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180727_072939 resize.jpg (39.5 KB, 106 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trug Plan and Materials.pdf (325.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post
A couple years ago I built some "Knock-off Veggie Trugs" for my deck. These sell at Lee Valley, Rona, etc for around $300. My cost to build was around $60. each. I did some research and have learned that the newer generation of treated lumber (Brown coloured stuff) is non-toxic and totally safe to grow food in. I don't have the link any more but the study was done in the US. I added the boxes to my underground sprinkler system and the are totally self operating other than occasional weeding. I drew up a plan to share with some friends and I will try attach it here.
I have hip, knee and spine issues so this is excellent and comfortable for stand-up gardening.
Brown lumber "is considered safer" , doesn't mean totally safe.

Grizz
Old 04-13-2020, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys.. I will be making these 4 ft wide and maybe 8 ft long so she can weed from both sides
Old 04-13-2020, 09:54 PM

This pic is shamelessly stolen and is not my project, but it is along the lines of what I'll be doing. Instead of this U-shape though, picture another U at the other end of it joined up, but with an entrance way opening on one side with the other side joined up continuous that it forms a closed-C shape. I think its set for 12' x 22' overall with the garden beds about 4' wide. and a 4' wide inside work access space.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:27 AM

In my greenhouse, I use gutters with holes drilled n the bottom. Nie for growing shallow root crops like onions, radishes, lettuce, etc. My neighbor liked the idea so much he attached gutters to his fence, works great.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-14-2020, 10:46 AM

If you believe scientists more than Mother Earth News contributors (which I do), most pressure treated wood is safe for gardens. I wouldn’t use creosote soaked railway ties, but the green treated wood doesn’t scare me.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-14-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
This pic is shamelessly stolen and is not my project, but it is along the lines of what I'll be doing. Instead of this U-shape though, picture another U at the other end of it joined up, but with an entrance way opening on one side with the other side joined up continuous that it forms a closed-C shape. I think its set for 12' x 22' overall with the garden beds about 4' wide. and a 4' wide inside work access space.

I like this idea, our dog is the digging king, so anything ground level will get munched between him and the rabbits. Definitely the year to get a garden bumped up the priority ladder
Old 04-14-2020, 11:13 AM

Look around online and you'll find that some creative people have made remarkably nice things using pallets they've sourced for free, I'm sure gardens will be among them.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:16 AM

I'm not sure why you'd use treated wood when you could use cedar? It stands up reasonably well with exposure to damp soil for extended periods.

Given the small amount of soil in a planter box and how fresh/wet treated timbers tend to be I'd stay away from it too. Currently the gov't of Canada recommends against using treated wood for gardens or where food will be grown.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...ated-wood.html