Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2022, 09:56 AM

Default Foragable edibles in Edmonton.

I noticed this map that is specifically for the wild fruit edibles that grow in Edmonton. Being that it is the season for foraging I thought some folks could use the map to enjoy what there is to pick. It is perfectly legal to pick on public land in Edmonton too.

Be sure to wash what you pick before eating them.

Enjoy.

https://data.edmonton.ca/Environment...rees/h4ti-be2n
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-22-2022, 10:10 AM

This is fantastic, Red Bullets!

IncrediGirl is always saying how good it would be if municipalities would plant more fruit trees. Mainly for the purposes of assisting low-income or homeless individuals/families. Or simply to introduce kids to where food comes from, the joy of harvesting etc.

The downside is that they may attract bears/coyotes, which I suspect we'll be seeing an increasing number of in populated areas.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:56 PM

That’s awesome! I need more glass jars… Found a sour cherry trees at my Neigbour’ house and got permission to harvest them. Now sitting on 8kg of cherries. Gonna make some jam and will try to make a cherry liqueur….
Old 08-22-2022, 05:33 PM

Sour Cherries and hot peppers (serrano,habanero or ghost) hell even a healthy shot of white or black pepper jam is mind blowing. Highly recommend!!!

B.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:11 PM

We wash and freeze sour cherries, for making jelly.
Freezing assists in juice extraction, and you can skip the pitting labour, that jam requires.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:14 PM

Much like advertising specific hunting or fishing spots, or even good Crown land shooting areas to the world on the internet...

I think some hidden gems are best left hidden - lest they become overrun by either greedy, ignorant, or jealous people. Or any combination of the three.

Wouldn't be surprised if you showed up to a berry patch only to find it picked clean by a large family or group...