Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Banned

Is that AvCanada or NavCanada...eg..OP
Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 AM

LOL AvCanada.

Although, NavCanada may have archives of missing aircraft based on flight plans, *if* they had a flight plan.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
LOL! Just a very vague recollection. But I do know one of the first Pararescueman who parachuted to the crash site and was welcomed by Mr Hartwell. I also know a crewman that has searched for MH three times at various different times. He could only get jobs flying freight, no pax after his famous crash!!
The military SAR community have a unofficial trophy called the "M. Hartwell trophy" for the person that crashes the farthest off course each year! Kind of sick but black humour is a staple in that field!
That's awesome

The Alberta caving community has a similar award for real winners called " the Golden Garbage Can award"
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Banned

I didn't think that would get by you, just checking...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
wonder where the aircraft went though, probably in a marsh?
Those marshes can eat a plane right up . Remember a story my Dad told me of a fellow he knew up north when he was a bush pilot, that ran into bad weather or something he was only VFR rated and ended up piling into the muskeg, a good part of his plane ended 40 ft down in the muck!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM

I found a fuselage in the bush in wmu316 in 2009. The registration was painted over but easy to read. It was at the end of a small trail in a little opening. I did some research when I got home and it turned out to have crashed shortly after takeoff in Colorado in the 80's. There were no fatalities but the aircraft was written off.

How did it get into the bush here in Alberta then? I would guess that someone must have bought the wreck (thus the painted over USA registration) and it ended up getting dumped in my hunting area as litter.

The list of crashed aircraft that I found this info on is massive. Lots of crashes!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Very strange. With everything going on around there, you'd think somebody would find something, unless it went into a lake. Long time now, but I think about it every time I drive past Trotters old place.

Grizz
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickflicker View Post
I found a fuselage in the bush in wmu316 in 2009.

The list of crashed aircraft that I found this info on is massive. Lots of crashes!
Chanced on a pile of airplane wrecks in a clearing near The Cut off staging area, some years ago. Helicopter was busy piling them up. Reaseon given was that there were so many it got confusing when they were searching for a new one. 2006, One disintegrated couple of miles south of us. They had to search a 5 mile radius to find all of it.

Grizz
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM

If it did go into a lake, with all the guys running fish finders in the summer and underwater cameras you would think someone would have seen something. Granted it was a few years bacj and it could be covered up by now.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver77 View Post
Those marshes can eat a plane right up . Remember a story my Dad told me of a fellow he knew up north when he was a bush pilot, that ran into bad weather or something he was only VFR rated and ended up piling into the muskeg, a good part of his plane ended 40 ft down in the muck!
Muskeg can eat a lot, no doubt. I have seen cats fall through, and it takes a quick recovery to get them out. A construction company up here lost a haglund through the ice last winter, and 2 days later it was long gone.

If a plane splattered in the skeg it could disappear quickly.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
Muskeg can eat a lot, no doubt. I have seen cats fall through, and it takes a quick recovery to get them out. A construction company up here lost a haglund through the ice last winter, and 2 days later it was long gone.

If a plane splattered in the skeg it could disappear quickly.
Story was he was in a dive, head on, muck was about like ballistic gel! Yes sir, just even break though and it can be bad news! Push I worked for one winter said he had seen a cat disappear one spring and they never found it. That was after the rig almost broke through after pulling off a nightmare hole.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver77 View Post
Story was he was in a dive, head on, muck was about like ballistic gel! Yes sir, just even break though and it can be bad news! Push I worked for one winter said he had seen a cat disappear one spring and they never found it. That was after the rig almost broke through after pulling off a nightmare hole.
I believe that. I broke through it on foot about 5 years ago or so north of fox. Right to my waist in a split second and kept sinking. Had to use the rig winch to pull me out. Nasty stuff for sure.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Hoping someone remembers a crash that happened in the area west of Red Deer cop and north of Sundre. A small passenger plane disappeared in the winter months. I was a young kid and still have memories of the search. More to the story but that will come later.

Any suggestions where to look for the information? Sent an email to Transport Canada but haven't heard back yet.
If you can get me a specific date and/or last name of the pilot, I may be able to get info from the archives.......
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM

Most mysteries missing aircraft,person missing case in Alberta, Fox creek to Prince George has forest,lakes,rivers and the rocky mountains my guess is either in a lake or side of a mountains, when they hit the mountain the plane slid down never to be seen again unless a rock climber stumbles upon it, or if it's a lake the plane will obviously be at the bottom, i am guessing some mountain lakes are very deep so unless they bring in heavy equipment and what have you this case may never be solved, the plane could be in heavy brush in the forest to, who knows, a true Alberta mystery.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Poor Martin Eatwell l..... He was never the same after that ordeal! But then again neither was anyone else on that flight....

R...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
LOL! Just a very vague recollection. But I do know one of the first Pararescueman who parachuted to the crash site and was welcomed by Mr Hartwell. I also know a crewman that has searched for MH three times at various different times. He could only get jobs flying freight, no pax after his famous crash!!
The military SAR community have a unofficial trophy called the "M. Hartwell trophy" for the person that crashes the farthest off course each year! Kind of sick but black humour is a staple in that field!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
Poor Martin Eatwell l..... He was never the same after that ordeal! But then again neither was anyone else on that flight....

R...
At least he only had one mouth to feed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Andes_flight_disaster

Grizz
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Another mystery is the couple who went missing back in 1973
http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/...HUK_Ronald.pdf

i think they probably crashed off a cliff somewhere and ended up in a lake as them and the car have never been located.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Default Fox Creek 1982 Plane Disappearance

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone who has any info about The Trottier Plane Disappearance in Fox Creek, spring of 1982. If you could please post it on here or forward to my email. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered81 View Post
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone who has any info about The Trottier Plane Disappearance in Fox Creek, spring of 1982. If you could please post it on here or forward to my email. Thanks in advance.
I often wonder the same thing
Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I often wonder the same thing
Asked somebody about it just the other day, coincidentally, and they claimed the plane had been found at some point

Grizz
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Asked somebody about it just the other day, coincidentally, and they claimed the plane had been found at some point

Grizz
Nope......there was a wreck found in the general search area a number of years ago, but I believe they confirmed it wasn't Trottiers

Last edited by hal53; 09-18-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM

You're right hal53, they thought they found it a couple years ago but it turned out to be a different cessna that had gone down, couple hikers came across it in the backwoods. I've tried a few times to research on the net but not much has come of it. If anyone can remember anything at all I'd love to hear it. Was kind of surprised to find this thread actually, but I'm glad I did
Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Missing planes

About 30 years ago talked to a fisherman who found a
wing flap from a small plane in North Buck lake. I gave
the flap to a RCMP and he asked what I wanted him to
do with it. I told him to take it, find out what kind of
plane it came from and if one like that is missing go
look in or around the lake. He seemed annoyed to be
bothered and I never heard any more about it, even
though I lived near the lake at that time.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered81 View Post
You're right hal53, they thought they found it a couple years ago but it turned out to be a different cessna that had gone down, couple hikers came across it in the backwoods. I've tried a few times to research on the net but not much has come of it. If anyone can remember anything at all I'd love to hear it. Was kind of surprised to find this thread actually, but I'm glad I did
Along with the outdoors i am interested in unexplained dissapearences, many people in Alberta are listed as missing or simply just dropped of the face of the earth.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Gone Hunting

that plane must be in the muskeg, the countless hours flown after the official search was called off is incredible by their friends, literally 1000's of hours of air time and all these years, I don't think we will ever know
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
that plane must be in the muskeg, the countless hours flown after the official search was called off is incredible by their friends, literally 1000's of hours of air time and all these years, I don't think we will ever know
x2, or heavly wooded area far away from any roads, probably has bush growing in and around the area of the crash site.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
x2, or heavly wooded area far away from any roads, probably has bush growing in and around the area of the crash site.
there still would have been, or should have been some kind of sign at that time, lots of new industry in there over the last 30 years, ...and nothing???, they circled lakes endlessly looking for an oil sheen or anything.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:10 PM

https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...9-46cafd6123a3
Old 04-24-2021, 07:21 PM

We used to find fiberglass and bits of aluminum along the Big Smokey river back in the 80's. RIP for those involved, all stand up guys.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:06 PM

Sad for the family/friends. I couldn’t imagine that much time without any closure whatever the news may be! One of those unknowns that will probably never be solved, Sad!