Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 12:56 PM

Default Glass insurance information?

I was wondering if there's an insurance company that covers glass only on a vehicle? Im very frustrated after being hit by a rock coming of a gravel truck on the highway, I called my insurance and after an hour of giving information about the incident they say I'm not covered,I wish that they would have cut through the chase and saved me a bunch of time, thanks for any replies in advance.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:05 PM

ami glass insurance almost all companies refer to these guys if it is not covered on your policy

about 180 per year per vehicle

transferable if you trade vehicles but have to have it inspected

can only use their approved guys to repair rock chicks or the rock Chios are not covered

had a bad rock chip in bc on a 40 car car cruise
called ahead to the town where we were staying for the night and got in at. 730am and the caravan waited about 1 minute for me so it worked out

the nearest approved shop was 45 minutes away and,there glass repair guy was on holidays

called amu and they would not approve the claim

so I said pay me for the windshield then you jerk

that had to pay then cut me off then 3 months later called to apologize

not very good but almost the only one out there
Old 12-01-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
ami glass insurance almost all companies refer to these guys if it is not covered on your policy

about 180 per year per vehicle

transferable if you trade vehicles but have to have it inspected

can only use their approved guys to repair rock chicks or the rock Chios are not covered

had a bad rock chip in bc on a 40 car car cruise
called ahead to the town where we were staying for the night and got in at. 730am and the caravan waited about 1 minute for me so it worked out

the nearest approved shop was 45 minutes away and,there glass repair guy was on holidays

called amu and they would not approve the claim

so I said pay me for the windshield then you jerk

that had to pay then cut me off then 3 months later called to apologize

not very good but almost the only one out there
Thanks for replying, it's so frustrating,the insurance coverage is so high that it's not feasible. It used to be that every 3 yrs a person could get a windshield replacement or at least that's what I thought. If I had to get a windshield replacement every time I had a hit I'd be at at least 10 windshields. This hit today was pretty severe so I'll have to get it replaced now,,at 180$ per year that's still pretty expensive because I can get it replaced for under 300$.. I'm also pretty sure that within a week it will be chipped or broken again.its a no win situation..thank you for your reply I appreciate it very much.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:49 PM

I pay cash for windshields (every 3x4 years) F150. =$222.00 Subaru $400.00. Older F150 1998-2004- $200.00. Chevrolet 2500- $400.00 Vary per vehicle.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:38 PM

Replacement windshield deals are out there if you don't have to have an OEM one. With the sand & salt the city puts on the ground, mine get sandblasted before they have a rock take them out.

Save the yearly premium and buy one when you need one(I drive older vehicles so can't compare to the cost of new ones). I think in the end you will be ahead.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:56 PM

If you're just worried about you windshield it isn't worth it. We only took it out on our SUV that has a full glass roof. If we break that one that's big money!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:38 PM

In the end insurance always wins. I don't insure anything that I can afford to replace without taking a huge financial hit.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:42 AM

I used to be in the insurance biz though not as broker but they did always recommend https://ami.ab.ca/ for glass coverage and always discouraged people from adding it to or even using it as an addon to the vehicle insurance policy as it was not cheap or as good of glass coverage for the dollars they charge.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
In the end insurance always wins. I don't insure anything that I can afford to replace without taking a huge financial hit.

Spot on. When you can get a new windshield every year for the price of the coverage, really doesn't make any sense at all. Canadians are among the most heavily over insured people in the world.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:47 PM

I have full coverage on my car except glass, and im wondering now if i should just drop it, ill probably get screwed anyway.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
I pay cash for windshields (every 3x4 years) F150. =$222.00 Subaru $400.00. Older F150 1998-2004- $200.00. Chevrolet 2500- $400.00 Vary per vehicle.
I need mine replaced, any chance you could let me know where I can get a new windshield for my F-150 for $222! Any quotes I have gotten are about twice that.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:40 PM

I looked into it and it pays if you break a side window or the rear view window. But for the windshield it is a wash. They also don’t cover the recalibration of the sensors if you have water sensing or adaptive cruise, lane mitigation etc. which can cost as much or more then the windshield.