Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Lots of great pictures and information thank you.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:24 PM

Waiting for the turd to call an election while he sits back and watches them drown.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Mother nature will have her way, there is no stopping her, reminds me of hurricane Harvey that hit Beaumont Texas in 2017 when I was down there working, the power of nature is spectacular and devastating all at the same time.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Banned

Arrow

BC formally requests federal military support in flood response

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/351...flood-response
Old 11-17-2021, 01:20 PM

Was reading an Abbotford page on FB last nite,

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/1...5DgDmJ3ORAzcxg

Lots to see and look at here, pics of derailed trains, blown dykes, one fella did a good vid with a drone, all kinds of people needing help and volunteering help around Abbotsford Sumas zone. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1728308954030612

This is going to take a major effort to get rail and road access up and running again, it will not be restored in anything like a short time period, and it will definitely affect the whole country. Don't know if the Fraser has peaked yet either.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:01 PM
Banned

Unhappy

Hwy 8 closed , east of Spences bridge....

Old 11-17-2021, 04:10 PM

Here is a link to an impressive article I just came across.
If you're like me and you don't fully understand the significance of the Abbottsford pump station that they keep referencing on the news (and the history behind it) it will immediately underscore how this was a disaster likely just waiting to happen... and one that might continue for awhile.

https://fvcurrent.com/article/sumas-...oding-history/
Old 11-17-2021, 04:22 PM

Friends in Lumby say their produce shelves are empty at all grocery stores.

Other friends on the Island say that Victoria and surrounding area is basically out of gas.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
Here is a link to an impressive article I just came across.
If you're like me and you don't fully understand the significance of the Abbottsford pump station that they keep referencing on the news (and the history behind it) it will immediately underscore how this was a disaster likely just waiting to happen... and one that might continue for awhile.

https://fvcurrent.com/article/sumas-...oding-history/
Thanks for article, C2. Interesting and informative read. Hopefully, it doesn’t come to the worst case scenario. I was wondering what “catastrophic” meant in that bulletin. Now I understand.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:05 PM

Yeah a pretty impressive engineering feat but with the area being built on a drained lake bed at/just below sea level if (actually when) those pumps fail it's going to get worse !
Old 11-17-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah a pretty impressive engineering feat but with the area being built on a drained lake bed at/just below sea level if (actually when) those pumps fail it's going to get worse !
When I read that I was like what? Global warming is causing flooding. Is building in stupid places.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-17-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
When I read that I was like what? Global warming is causing flooding. Is building in stupid places.
Like Vegas…….
Old 11-17-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Other friends on the Island say that Victoria and surrounding area is basically out of gas.
As far as I know the entire trans mountain has been shut down out of an abundance of caution. A smart move for safety reasons, and if it remains shut down for awhile it may just open a few eyes on where a majority of the BC's fuel comes from. Many shelves are bare already, and once the news mentions gas shortages on the news tonight, there will probably be line ups to fill the tank as well.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I bet that a lot of people won't be able to get house insurance in the very near future if they happen to have bought into a susceptible areas....
Old 11-17-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
As far as I know the entire trans mountain has been shut down out of an abundance of caution. A smart move for safety reasons, and if it remains shut down for awhile it may just open a few eyes on where a majority of the BC's fuel comes from. Many shelves are bare already, and once the news mentions gas shortages on the news tonight, there will probably be line ups to fill the tank as well.
Long lineups for gas here in Nanaimo. No regular anywhere. The premium should run out by mid day tomorrow. Wife home from grocery store and lineups worse than covid

Last edited by MyAlberta; 11-17-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yep, it is inevitable when you build on a flood plain, sooner or later your going to get flooded. It has flooded many times over the eons and will flood again, that is how flood plains are made in the first place. Everything downriver of hope is pretty much built on a flood plain.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Long lineups for gas here in Nanaimo. No regular anywhere. The premium should run out by mid day tomorrow. Wife home from grocery store and lineups worse than covid
As soon as river levels drop, then Parkland will get the Burnaby refinery up and running as long as the pipeline isn’t washed out at any river crossings. Pipelines are often shut down in catastrophic situations like this.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Yep, it is inevitable when you build on a flood plain, sooner or later your going to get flooded. It has flooded many times over the eons and will flood again, that is how flood plains are made in the first place. Everything downriver of hope is pretty much built on a flood plain.
Don't know how legit they were, but saw some photos that were supposedly from a couple decades ago, flooding was almost identical.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Impressive indeed:

The Barrowtown pump station contains four pumps that have been working at full capacity to move 2.3 million litres of water per minute from the low-lying Sumas Prairie, which used to be a lake draining into the Fraser River.

Looks like things have improved for now:

Braun said the sunny, dry weather Wednesday is helping reduce the risk of further flooding.

"The Fraser River, in the last 24 hours, has dropped two metres. It needs to drop another metre until we can open the floodgates at Barrowtown, which will allow seven times more volume out than those four pumps working full tilt," he said.

"I'm just hoping we're not going to get more rain."

But looks like there is more rain tomorrow in the forecast.

Yeah, building in places like this is pretty nuts, but people have been doing it everywhere in the world and keep doing it. Look at New Orleans, one of the prime examples, getting hammered fairly hard every few years and people are still there.

Hopefully, it isn’t going to get much worse for them in Abby…

Driving through there always feels like you are pretty “low”, especially when looking at the surroundings. Climbing down when approaching on the highway and then climbing back up, regardless which way you are going, to Vancouver or back.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:06 PM

I have friends and family in the area all are smart enough to not live in the flood plain. Some have a great view from Sumas MT

They say it’s pretty crazy but the way people are reacting is the worst. Lots of hoarding and some people freaking out.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:49 PM

Can you expect people from BC not to be selfish and hoard among other things. These are the same people that were loosing lug nuts off other provinces vehicles that entered there province. I hope the people are ok but I only think the federal government should only pay for repairing federal infrastructure other than that the cost should be paid for provincially. They don't seem to care about the rest of the country. Hopefully the NDP have deep pockets. I do hope for the best for all the people.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:53 PM

^ There was no toilet paper in stores in this Alberta town when covid “hit”, just like in BC or most other places in North America. It is not exclusive to BC. And, to be fair, this current concern on their part is more legit in the circumstances they are facing.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Don't know how legit they were, but saw some photos that were supposedly from a couple decades ago, flooding was almost identical.
Except there is more urban sprawl built in more questionable areas today than ever. And it is doubtful they will learn and more will be built in more sketchy areas in the future. When it happens again it won't be their fault, they can blame it on global warming.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:48 AM

Heart goes out to all of the families and communities that have to deal with this disaster. Our Elders used to tell us "Be like water, humble enough to seek the lowest ground but be strong enough to move mountains in case you have too".....no real mountains here and seeing some of the footage on here and in the news and its jaw dropping to see the devastation.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:07 AM

Round two in the way. With cold temperatures, wet mud that freezes in crevices cracks off huge amounts of rock,, it's going to be an interesting year going forward with this disaster.

https://s.theweathernetwork.com/ca/m...&lng=-113.4036
Old 11-18-2021, 10:19 AM

Hopefully they learn from this snd build a dike around the pumps. If it would truly create that billions in damage they predict you would think it would be money well spent. Kudos to the 300 volunteers, I wonder if any PETA members were there working to save the livestock?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...v-18-1.6253395

Slave Lake ,I am told, almost burned in the 80s at that time the town vowed to build protection around itself but it never got done if the story I heard was correct. Then it burned later.
Hopefully we learn from this flood and action is implemented in order to protect these pumps if they are that valuable.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:32 AM

The Lower Wasteland finally succeeded in doing what Kabec never could….they separated from the rest of Canada…
Old 11-18-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Yup my wife tried to get gas yesterday and everyone was honking and acting aggressive towards each other.

No empathy for people that lined up for hours and realising the gas tank is on the wrong side.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-18-2021, 10:46 AM

Wife's friend sent a pic, prince George costco shelves pretty bare
Old 11-18-2021, 11:09 AM

It's kind of ironic that not to long ago we laughed at those hoarding *****-tickets and other toiletries.... Now might be the time to do this. A funny one I noticed was the first shelf to go bare was taco mix, salsa and packaged flavouring, and pickles.. says a lot about some preppers needs.