Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2022, 06:27 PM

Default Horse trailer

Thoughts on a 6'6'' high stock trailer to haul 15 to 16 hand quarter horses? Haauling up to 4 hours at a time. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:57 PM

I used a 6ft 6 inch 16 ft stock trailer to haul 16 hand horses for years... no problem.. now have a 7 ft but only because that was what was available.. If its a good deal , go with it
Old 02-19-2022, 07:09 PM

Slight hijack,

What are advantages / disadvantages of straight load vs slant load?
Old 02-19-2022, 07:11 PM

Haul away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2022, 07:26 PM

14" clearance on a 16 hand horse is plenty for most broke horses.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 02-19-2022, 07:42 PM

The 6’6 or 6’8 is probably fine most of the time but if you haul a taller horse while saddled and the door opening is a few inches shorter the clearance could get a little tight. Depends on the trailer and the horse. I have a 7’ high and I prefer it, but price and availability could definitely be a factor, especially now
Old 02-19-2022, 07:54 PM

As stated, the ease & convenience of hauling while saddled is real. I'd go with a 7' if at all possible. Loading on uneven ground also really favors the 7'

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-19-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Slight hijack,

The trailer I'm looking at is 7 feet wide so the advantage of slant loading is getting more horses in. I'm thinking in a 24 foot trailer i'll load 7 or 8 slant loading.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:58 PM
Banned

we used a 6'6" for over 30 years (open stock) and never had a single problem......never hauled saddled up though
Old 02-24-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Slight hijack,

it is felt horses travel better when standing at an angle, easier to brace against the sway, even just one or ttwo head. Also easier to load more in a given space. once they get used to squeezing in, the last guy pushes his way in, loaded head to tail even perpendicular to the length, works well.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:56 AM

7 ft is nice if being a multi purpose hauler/camper
Old 02-25-2022, 08:38 AM

Default horse trailer

Saw a outfitter with old 6 ft trailer. He just cut top off made it into a convertible, then packed 4 horses in like sardines. They stayed nice and cool during hot weather, but not so great in the rain.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:02 AM

Big difference hauling colts and well broke horses. 7 foot IMO is way to go. Its just nicer not only for younger horses but you might want to haul Small bales or something with it and extra room is nice.
I had two trailers that loaded normal but had slant load dividers inside of trailer. I took them out because younger horses would go down and then get under divider and not able to get back up and then flip out and have big wreck.
I used to start colts at 4 years of age and sell when they got to be pretty useful.They were different than probably what you have
Old 02-25-2022, 10:50 AM

Just another thought. In case you didn't know. Its not so much about height of horse. Its more about clostrophobic,can't spell it but fear of tight spaces and as soon as something scares them,their heads come up fast.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:23 AM

It has as much to do with how broke the horse is as it does with how tall the trailer is. My old grey mare at 15.3 and 1,100 lbs or more I think could be convinced to get in the back seat of my Megacab, young and higher strung horses are often harder to load in a lower trailer. My current trailer is a 24' Sooner, 7' wide and 7'3" high but I've hauled lots of big horses many, many miles in a 6'6" trailer including saddled. 7 or 8 average sized saddle horses should easily go into a 24' stock trailer.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:29 PM

I have never hauled a saddled horse anywhere
It only twkes a couple minutes to saddle a horse and i can save a huge wreck
Angle haul looses space.
But with good well broke horses it is maybe safer? Put one in, close divide and grab another
My 20’ gooseneck stock trailer i can haul 5 horses with the center divider open.
Or two infront two in the back when closed.
Can haul more if they are small but all of mine are draft cross horses.
6.6 or 7’ makes no difference
If they are going to have a fit they will smash there head on either.
Mine is 7’
But I didn’t buy it because of that
Old 02-25-2022, 05:17 PM

I've had a lot of different trailers hauling big horses and smaller. I really prefer the 7' tall models and right now I have a 7' smaller trailer and a 7'6" big trailer.
Problem with the 7'6 is I am all the way on my tip toes and can still barely reach the vents to pop open. But I like the height.
As far as angle vs straight mine are all hauled at an angle. But that being said, I rarely use the dividers unless I have scrapping horses. They just waste space.
If you've ever hauled a horse loose in a trailer almost gauranteed when you stop to check they will be standing backwards at an angle. I think this allows them to brace the best. But not that convenient for loading.
I don't think I would ever get another trailer with the drop down doors and all the fancy stuff. Just stock sides with plexi tracks for the colder weather. My LQ trailer just has a 10'x8' box for the horses with slats. 4 bigger horses no problem and you could easily do 5 skinnier ones. They are not quite sideways but close.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the replies' yes my geldings are quite broke. I went with the 24 foot stock trailer, the price was more than fair and its a triaxle so pulls really nice with my 3500. Old and rusty but solid.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:41 PM

Check the floor really well

Repair what needs it…

Old 02-27-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_of_6 View Post
Check the floor really well

Repair what needs it…

This advice cannot be stressed enough, my cousin had a horrible experience with her horse falling through the floor while travelling - my stomach turns with the recall of her story
Old 02-27-2022, 02:17 PM

Wide conveyor belting makes good additional support for older trailer and easy on horses feet. However floor cannot be on its last leg, must have some life left.