Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 PM

Default Edmonton’s Transit Smokehouse & BBQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEptF...ature=youtu.be

Darn

They just opened this new place up and it looks awesome. I can’t imagine how much work they had to do to make this renovation of a historical building work.

If I could I would be meeting all of you there for some delicious brisket and a scotch.

If anyone gets there please send me a few photos and let me know how the food is.

This was my old neighbourhood. I rode my bike past this building one summer on my way to work at Gainers.

I bought beef jerky with my paper route money a few doors down. Worked at the nearby DQ before it left. Had a mushroom Swiss burger at Burger Barons.

The old memories just flooding in. Fun days.

Cheers.

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 08:36 PM

Default Used to drink beer at the old hotel there..

In Junior High.....

Can’t wait to run in there to eat.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:45 PM
Banned

They were supposed to be open in the Spring of 2021. The City of Edmonton kept moving the goal posts.
I'm so happy, they've finally opened
Old 09-20-2021, 09:25 PM

Extremely difficult trying to opening a new restaurant in a pandemic, a challenge in its own right. Dealing with city administration would driven the most grounded person to want to jump off a bridge.

Casually know one of the owners. He’s a down to earth family man. Hope they end up being successful.

Last edited by Penner; 09-20-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Extremely difficult trying to opening a new restaurant in a pandemic, a challenge in its own right. Dealing with city administration would drive the most grounded person to want to jump off a bridge.

Casually know one of the owners. He’s a down to earth family man. Hope they end up being successful.
It would be a great success story to have a strong community support base.

They’ve worked their butts off.

I love their historical updates from researching the area.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-20-2021, 11:38 PM

Going there on Thursday for supper. Really lookin forward to it.

As long as I can get a table on the Patio.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:18 AM

Please post a address of the smokehouse, planning a road trip soon,
Old 09-21-2021, 07:21 AM

Corner of fort road and 66 street
Old 09-21-2021, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
https://transitsmokehousebbq.com/
Old 09-21-2021, 08:48 AM

Very glad to see they finally got open, almost a year behind schedule due to raging incompetence by the City of Edmonton. I won't go on a rant about how little I respect the politicians, the people that work for the City or just how truly atrocious already terrible service has become with these bureaucrats working from home.

Have been looking forward to trying them out. Will have to stop by in the next couple of days.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
12720 Fort Road. Edmonton AB T5A 1A6
Old 09-21-2021, 01:24 PM

Looking forward to trying it out!
Old 09-21-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
12720 Fort Road. Edmonton AB T5A 1A6
Thanks Sundancefisher for posting the address
Old 09-21-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks Sundancefisher for posting the address
It’s a cool old building.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:11 AM

Whose been there yet? Any reviews?
I see they have live music. Awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/TransitEdmo...8601147239232/
Old 11-28-2021, 12:00 PM

We were going to go there the other day for BBQ, but the Google reviews of the place are definitely mixed and the canned response from management to any negative reviews doesn't inspire a whole bunch of faith. Basically, we're new, we're trying. After struggling for so long to get open, I pretty much figured they would at least have the food part aced. The actual meat part gets highly variable ratings, and the sides seem to be a major point of contention on many of the reviews. We decided to wait a bit longer and see if they can get their food game up, because while I don't mind paying high prices for great food, I sure don't like paying a premium for less than mediocre. I would be interested to hear if anyone from AO had positive to say about going there.

On the flip side, was at Tony's Pizza last night from 6-8. Places was freaking packed and really hopping. Sure glad we had made a reservation. That is far and away the busiest we have seen it in the past 18 months. Great to see them doing so well.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:20 PM

BBQ is hard to get right ..... I spend a fair amount of time travelling (I am going to Houston tomorrow for the week as a matter of fact) and there is a wide spectrum of quality in BBQ.

Even some of the "high end and trendy" places with great reviews like MEAT on whyte are "good" but not great.

Best BBQ I've ever had was from a place near work (in Houston Texas) where a guy is set up basically what looks like a parking lot and puts the meat on overnight for the lunch rush the next day until he's sold out. He uses a home made oil barrel smoker/grill that looks tired and greasy and brings his own wood .... spices are off the shelf common stuff - it's just the small things that separate good BBQ from great BBQ.

If you don't get your lunch by noon (or are not in line) you are out of luck as soon as he sells out.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEptF...ature=youtu.be

Darn

They just opened this new place up and it looks awesome. I can’t imagine how much work they had to do to make this renovation of a historical building work.

If I could I would be meeting all of you there for some delicious brisket and a scotch.

If anyone gets there please send me a few photos and let me know how the food is.

This was my old neighbourhood. I rode my bike past this building one summer on my way to work at Gainers.

I bought beef jerky with my paper route money a few doors down. Worked at the nearby DQ before it left. Had a mushroom Swiss burger at Burger Barons.

The old memories just flooding in. Fun days.

Cheers.

Sun
Uncle Bob’s Sausage House?
Old 11-29-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Uncle Bob’s Sausage House?
It was along time ago. Started the paper route at 12 years old. I wayyyy older now.

They had tons of meat in there. I just had an addiction to beef jerky. I blew a lot of my money on jerky. A booze or drug habit would of been cheaper.

I was born and raised in Belvedere.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
We were going to go there the other day for BBQ, but the Google reviews of the place are definitely mixed and the canned response from management to any negative reviews doesn't inspire a whole bunch of faith. Basically, we're new, we're trying. After struggling for so long to get open, I pretty much figured they would at least have the food part aced. The actual meat part gets highly variable ratings, and the sides seem to be a major point of contention on many of the reviews. We decided to wait a bit longer and see if they can get their food game up, because while I don't mind paying high prices for great food, I sure don't like paying a premium for less than mediocre. I would be interested to hear if anyone from AO had positive to say about going there.

On the flip side, was at Tony's Pizza last night from 6-8. Places was freaking packed and really hopping. Sure glad we had made a reservation. That is far and away the busiest we have seen it in the past 18 months. Great to see them doing so well.
I read some of the reviews. A 4.4 rating is very good. The complaints for the most part seem your standard nothing is right or maybe I can get something for free by complaining.

It’s a tough game… the restaurant biz. Some people just complain to get something free. Some guests know life isn’t perfect and a restaurant doesn’t need to be perfect.

Lots of good reviews on the food.

Lots of good reviews on staff.

Someone complaining they wanted drinks cheaper… but sorry… it seems competitive.

But… a 4.4 Google review is pretty good early on. I just hope people care enough to offer the management sincere and good suggestions to keep things that are working well and constructive suggestions on what could be improved.

These are new entrepreneurs who are taking a risk, in Alberta, in an area that was run down and during a pandemic.

I’d be scared ****less so I have great respect for them. They show themselves as caring deeply about their clientele and the neighborhood.

Ratings

Google 4.4
Trip advisor 4.0
Facebook 4.5
Yelp 4.5
Old 11-30-2021, 08:12 AM

Sundance

You make some very good points. Since we don't seem to have any AO reviews, which I would believe long before Google ones, guess we will have to find out for ourselves. Will have to stop by there in the next few days. Will let you guys know which of the Google reviews are the most accurate, the positive ones or the critical ones.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:34 AM

We have a good one in Whitehorse called Smoke n Sow. It's on the Alaska Hwy when you drive through Porter Creek at a Petro One filling station. Its good and these guys are busy. Brisket is on quite a run these days.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:03 PM

So, took my wife and we went and tried the transit. First off, the much vaunted renovations don't show. Most of it looks like it barely got a coat of paint. However, for your typical Texas style BBQ, that is an appropriate look. I have been in a bunch of Texas bbq shacks and don't remember a single one that looked new or modern.

It is Texas Q. The rub is strictly salt and pepper, same on all meats. What is different is they smoke with oak, no Mesquite. There is no sauce added during the cook or when served but they have a good selection on the side. The beans are top notch. Home made, smokey and great texture. Next best was the dill pickle. Their coleslaw is not edible. Chopped real fine, soggy with vinegar as the only flavour. At 6 bucks per side for 3 ounce servings the prices are WAY out of line.

Now the meat, cooked properly, as in not over cooked or dry, but if you closed your eyes you would not be able to tell brisket, from pulled pork or the ribs. There is very little flavour from the rub and no smoke flavour to speak of. The meat is plenty edible but it is really mediocre bbq. Even the stuff served at Montana's has far better bbq flavour.

I hope these guys refine their technique quickly. I did give them some polite but pretty detailed feedback because if they keep serving this kind of mediocre food at these prices, a relatively light lunch for 2 of 1/3 pound of each of ribs, pulled pork and brisket split between 2 was 70 bucks with only two sides for one and no sides for the other, they aren't going to last long. I was really hoping this place would be spectacular.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:23 PM

I looked at their menu on line. Looks ok, but no prices listed. To me that says, “Our prices are pretty high, but we’re not going to tell you until you’re at the table, otherwise you might not come.”

I’ve eaten at some high price restaurants, and I’m not against restaurants making a profit. But don’t try surprise me.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:35 PM

Going to try it out Friday night, will post a review
Old 12-01-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So, took my wife and we went and tried the transit. First off, the much vaunted renovations don't show. Most of it looks like it barely got a coat of paint. However, for your typical Texas style BBQ, that is an appropriate look. I have been in a bunch of Texas bbq shacks and don't remember a single one that looked new or modern.

It is Texas Q. The rub is strictly salt and pepper, same on all meats. What is different is they smoke with oak, no Mesquite. There is no sauce added during the cook or when served but they have a good selection on the side. The beans are top notch. Home made, smokey and great texture. Next best was the dill pickle. Their coleslaw is not edible. Chopped real fine, soggy with vinegar as the only flavour. At 6 bucks per side for 3 ounce servings the prices are WAY out of line.

Now the meat, cooked properly, as in not over cooked or dry, but if you closed your eyes you would not be able to tell brisket, from pulled pork or the ribs. There is very little flavour from the rub and no smoke flavour to speak of. The meat is plenty edible but it is really mediocre bbq. Even the stuff served at Montana's has far better bbq flavour.

I hope these guys refine their technique quickly. I did give them some polite but pretty detailed feedback because if they keep serving this kind of mediocre food at these prices, a relatively light lunch for 2 of 1/3 pound of each of ribs, pulled pork and brisket split between 2 was 70 bucks with only two sides for one and no sides for the other, they aren't going to last long. I was really hoping this place would be spectacular.
My review mirrors yours, all the meat tastes the same.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:36 PM

I'll pass on the Transit. Too bad that Sloppy Hawgs Roed Huss shut down. Oh well, if I don't feel like BBQing myself (which doesn't happen) I'll hit up Smoke and Ash.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
I looked at their menu on line. Looks ok, but no prices listed. To me that says, “Our prices are pretty high, but we’re not going to tell you until you’re at the table, otherwise you might not come.”

I’ve eaten at some high price restaurants, and I’m not against restaurants making a profit. But don’t try surprise me.
Found this online.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
I'll pass on the Transit. Too bad that Sloppy Hawgs Roed Huss shut down. Oh well, if I don't feel like BBQing myself (which doesn't happen) I'll hit up Smoke and Ash.
That place was goodddddd 👍
Old 12-01-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
That place was goodddddd 👍
We’re prices reasonable?