Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 07:33 PM

Default What To Do With My Duramax???

Hey guys, I have a 2006 GMC 2500 diesel with 415,000km's on it. The truck so far has been mechanically sound with just regular maintenance, except for rust issues with rocker panels, fenders and cab corners. I now need to fix a rear end leak, cv joint and I have a trouble light issue that would cost about $1500.00 to fix Something to do with sensors and stuff. a fuel gauge that does not work Could be the float in the tank.
I am wondering if the Duramax is getting close to being at the end of its life and should I expect to do some major engine work like injectors etc...?
Would you spend the money to fix everything that needs fixing probably close to 4-$5000.00 and is this truck worth it to keep or should I try to sell it?
I am not mechanically inclined at all to do any of the work, so I have to take it to my mechanic.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:39 PM

I would weigh whether you can afford a new vehicle, right now, vs the cost of fixing the issues and still driving the dirtymax.

For the amount of money you are going to have to put in fixing it, will the value of the truck increase as well? Or will you take a $5000 truck, dump $2000 into it and still be left with a $5000 truck?

If you are happy and want to keep it, I would just fix what is really bugging you
Old 04-26-2021, 07:39 PM

I was in a very similar situation with a 2006 F250 6.0. In great working condition, it was worth around $15k. It started blowing the white smoke though, likely head gasket issues, and wasn't inclined to pull the cab and starting tearing down the engine. I was under the impression the repair was going to cost around $6k. So do I try to sell it for $8K-$9K or do I put $6k into a $15k truck?

While thinking about it, decided to resurface my asphalt driveway, so I parked it on the street, and the next morning it was gone. Pretty much the perfect solution. The issue being, with a Chevy, that solution is harder to replicate.

Maybe see what it's worth, if the repairs are 50% or more of the cost of the vehicle, take it to auction?
Old 04-26-2021, 10:35 PM

Well, dad just dumped $7k into his 01 with 690,000 km on it. If I hadn't done the work, it would have been a $12-15k job by the time it was done. My parents went round and round the merry go round about finding a different truck, buying a new truck, etc for almost 6 - 12 hours days. My mom is OCD, and and over 100 pages of handwritten notes.

I guess the first question that I'd ask is, what is the $1500 light?

By rear end leak, do you mean the engine rear main seal, or the rear diff/final drive?

Injectors aren't generally a major surgery on that engine. Unless you break a hold down bolt. The injectors are what are expensive. That particular iteration of the duramax doesn't have common head gasket issues if the engines aren't run in a racing tune all the time. They will crack pistons though.

If you're looking to sell, I am kinda looking for a truck like that, but I'm looking on a smoking deal to repair.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:20 PM

Problem is that right now the truck market is ridiculously high. After spending the coin to repair you won't know if that's the end of it or not. 06 is a great year. No def like my stupid 2017.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:38 AM

A guy I know used to haul RVs from Indiana to parts of western Canada. I asked him what kind of mileage were they getting. He said about a million kilometers. Most were running dodge, some chev and almost no fords.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I was in a very similar situation with a 2006 F250 6.0. In great working condition, it was worth around $15k. It started blowing the white smoke though, likely head gasket issues, and wasn't inclined to pull the cab and starting tearing down the engine. I was under the impression the repair was going to cost around $6k. So do I try to sell it for $8K-$9K or do I put $6k into a $15k truck?

While thinking about it, decided to resurface my asphalt driveway, so I parked it on the street, and the next morning it was gone. Pretty much the perfect solution. The issue being, with a Chevy, that solution is harder to replicate.

Maybe see what it's worth, if the repairs are 50% or more of the cost of the vehicle, take it to auction?
Man youre funny!! A 6.0L in perfect working condition!! After you did the injectors 3-4 times maybe!
Old 04-27-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Problem is that right now the truck market is ridiculously high. After spending the coin to repair you won't know if that's the end of it or not. 06 is a great year. No def like my stupid 2017.
Lately, I've been seeing trucks of that year and milage in the $5-12 k range if they have rust depending on mechanical condition. The southern buyers want low milage minimal rust trucks. So, these aren't nearly as hot. Seems to be a more recent development. Some have been on kijiji for a few weeks.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:44 AM

Default New truck price *$&%#&#%

I keep pumping $ into my 06 Ram 2500. It hasn't really had that much put into it considering it's a 15 year old truck. The body, engine, tranny and exhaust are are purring right along. Over the years I've put in a new tranny ($<5K, new exhaust $<1K and an injector $<1k. A new diesel truck is not in my future........not at $>80K
Old 04-27-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
A guy I know used to haul RVs from Indiana to parts of western Canada. I asked him what kind of mileage were they getting. He said about a million kilometers. Most were running dodge, some chev and almost no fords.
When I worked at an RV & trailer dealer, the guys who hauled units to us from factory ran a spread of Fords, Dodges and GM. Not really more one brand than any other but they were all pretty new trucks.

Speaking of OP and his truck dilemma, the guy we used to hot shot trailers for us within AB drove a 2006 GMC 2500 Duramax actually. It had 700,000 KM on it, supposedly all original drivetrain, before they retired it. Lots of those miles hauling big fifth wheels and living quarter trailers. OP, I think if you like the truck and it seems healthy otherwise, put some money into it and run it into the ground.

I know an amazing Duramax mechanic out in Leduc. Knows those trucks inside and out. $90/hr labour. Works on cash jobs too. He could probably get you a rough price estimate if wanted.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:27 PM

I have a 1996 2500 Dodge club cab with the V10 gas motor and 245,000K on it that I bought new in 1996. It runs like a top, burns zero oil between oil changes and has no rust of any kind. It has new tires, all new tie rods, brakes etc and has always been maintained in top condition because I want a vehicle that runs perfectly when I am out hunting and fishing or travelling. With the winch and all the recovery gear it makes a great winter travel vehicle. Looks like a brand new truck.

Despite that, I just ordered a new 2021 Dodge 2500 8' box. The new truck will easily last me the next 26 years so I won't have to worry about whether the manufacturers will quit making gas pickups in my lifetime. I could easily get many more years out of my existing pickup but after 26 years of service it doesn't owe me a thing.

I hate rusted vehicles, so for that reason alone I would either properly fix the rust and mechanical issues or I would be looking for a different truck. My advice is, the high cost to fix it properly, versus replace would make it a pretty easy decision for me.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-27-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:04 PM

Thanks guys, problem solved!! I sold the truck. I cant stand rusted vehicles either.
I weighed the pros and cons of dumping a bunch of cash in a high millage diesel truck and consulted with my queen and decided to sell it and pick up a newer gas pick up. Was it the right decision? time will tell.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:52 PM

I have been a automotive mechanic since the early 70's. I have worked on all the trucks out there, I would say the best engine out there is the 06 6.6. The body does leave a little to be desired but they are cheap to fix.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Thanks guys, problem solved!! I sold the truck. I cant stand rusted vehicles either.
I weighed the pros and cons of dumping a bunch of cash in a high millage diesel truck and consulted with my queen and decided to sell it and pick up a newer gas pick up. Was it the right decision? time will tell.
Thanks for the advice.
What did you sell it for?
Old 04-27-2021, 11:09 PM

I hope you sold it to a 16-19 year old that wears wranglers and hunts with arrows and bullets. Young lads love to roll coal.