Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 01:31 PM

Default Boat value?

Long story short was given a boat that needs a bit of work a few years ago and I dont see myself ever getting around to it.

Any ideas what an 80's Starcraft Holiday 140 with an Evinrude 60hp motor might be worth?

Was told when it was given to me the motor only had around 20 hours on it. Its been sitting for at least 10-15 years.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:37 PM

I would say $1000-1500 for the hull and trailer and engine as parts. If you got it running add $500.

edit- guys will likely reply saying thats too low, but they arent throwing cash at you. Take a look at bc boats for sale on facebook, can give you an idea of what things are going for. I have seen a lot newer, bigger, running or just needing some work go for the same $.

40 year old boats and dead engines are only worth money if they say ChrisCraft on them sadly.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-26-2021, 04:04 PM

Okay great thanks. Gives me at least some idea.

Appreciate it
Old 04-26-2021, 05:16 PM

Take what you’re happy getting for it and double that. Covid pricing is crazy so no better time to sell it.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 PM

Spray some oil in the cylinders, turn it over by hand, and get it started. Having it running will add hugely to it's value.
I suspect $1500 is seriously lowball.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Spray some oil in the cylinders, turn it over by hand, and get it started. Having it running will add hugely to it's value.
I suspect $1500 is seriously lowball.

This. It has way more value if it’s running.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:31 PM

again, take a look at the facebook and other online ads.

I have seen 1995 boats with 50hp yamaha's for 2g

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-26-2021, 07:38 PM

Its definitely a project boat. You wont be taking it out on a lake the weekend you buy it thats for sure lol.

I think 1000-1500 range is probably realistic.

Thanks again
Old 04-26-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
Its definitely a project boat. You wont be taking it out on a lake the weekend you buy it thats for sure lol.

I think 1000-1500 range is probably realistic.

Thanks again
the only thing- dealing with kijidiots and facebook spinners, if you want $1500 ask $2750. They will offer $750, tell them you will drop to $1500 but no lower.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:02 AM

Joe;

I currently own a 1977 Starcraft Holiday in 18'.....It is a head turner.

Selling is all about condition, running and price.

Mine needed a new canvas top for $1,500. Even though the top was rotted the fellow was able to use it for a pattern and all the aluminum frame was there. Thankfully the motor, interior and seats were mint.

If someone is selling in BC, read their ad closely as often the trailer is not included and is extra.

As for a price, more information is needed?

There is a following for these stable aluminum boats......You can be in the price range of $1,500 to $4500....Those old steel trailers are worth $500 all day long....I have seen ads where the old boat need some TLC and is free and the trailer is $500 just to tow it out...

Good luck

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:49 AM

Probably not a penny over $50. Where can I pick it up?
Old 04-27-2021, 12:49 PM

Nice project boat. If I was closer to retiring I'd restore one for one of my boys. In the end they will use mine. I've got a 77 Starcraft Holiday I/o that I did years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 131377-6914d1c7e10c403bd2c2b07049fe4cea.jpg (6.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-27-2021, 02:12 PM

This is one of those boats where the cost to restore it will be more than what it's worth when it's done ....

Like Ken said, unfortunately, it's not not worth more than a couple grand maybe $3,000 at the most if it's running and in reasonable shape.

Repowering, canopy, some trailer work, tires, lights, travel cover will cost you 2-3 times that much .........

This is the type of boat that is in the "sweet spot" for buyers, but not for sellers ....
Old 04-27-2021, 04:01 PM

Ive shown it to a few people now, two offered 1000, one was a hard pass.

Mulling over my options. So far it seems like they just want the engine and trailer. Im pretty sure the boat would end up as scrap heh.

Might sell, might sit on it for another year I'm not sure.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:30 PM

Default Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
Ive shown it to a few people now, two offered 1000, one was a hard pass.

Mulling over my options. So far it seems like they just want the engine and trailer. Im pretty sure the boat would end up as scrap heh.

Might sell, might sit on it for another year I'm not sure.
So tell them $1500 takes it. They will most likely offer to split, and you gain $250
Old 04-27-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
So tell them $1500 takes it. They will most likely offer to split, and you gain $250
Yuppers.....what Spurly says....As well, try junking a boat on its own....not cheap...

I went through this exact thing last summer. All I wanted was the trailer for another boat.....
The trailer was $500 but I had dispose of the boat and the inboard motor (they wanted me to remove the motor and drain all the fluids)....up in the Didsbury area from Calgary...Those recyclers aren't cheap.

I walked on the deal.

If you can get $1,500, take it and run.....Like I said earlier, I paid $1,500 alone for the new top.

Good luck

Old 04-27-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
Nice project boat. If I was closer to retiring I'd restore one for one of my boys. In the end they will use mine. I've got a 77 Starcraft Holiday I/o that I did years ago.
Hahaha, looks like mine ....same color seats ...

Old 04-27-2021, 05:59 PM

I'll double check for you as there is a guy in Lloyd that restores them...he might bite. Depends on if he has one going already.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:02 PM

Sweet. Let me know if you've got any other pics as I'm doing the top this summer. I might come for a ride and see if I can get your guy to finish it off. I've got the bimini done but want the full zippered in camper top.

I'll pm you in a bit.

[QUOTE=graybeard;4366581]Hahaha, looks like mine ....same color seats ...[/QUOTE]
Old 04-27-2021, 06:15 PM

I think Ken is right; although I am surprised what COVID pricing is doing, especially now as people are facing the possibility of spending their leisure time in-province.

I sold an old boat in early 2020, it ran and floated (had a small leak, but not a big deal to repair). I had just come off a layoff and didn't expect to have time and funds to work on it.

A few months later, I found that the new owner had it online for double what I sold it for. At the time, I'm pretty sure he got it. Even "Project boats" that had been festering on Kijiji were starting to get sold.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I think Ken is right; although I am surprised what COVID pricing is doing, especially now as people are facing the possibility of spending their leisure time in-province.

I sold an old boat in early 2020, it ran and floated (had a small leak, but not a big deal to repair). I had just come off a layoff and didn't expect to have time and funds to work on it.

A few months later, I found that the new owner had it online for double what I sold it for. At the time, I'm pretty sure he got it. Even "Project boats" that had been festering on Kijiji were starting to get sold.
Covid pricing is bringing the crazies out for sure, all the beat up vehicles abandoned in the trees are now listed for several thousand dollars lol

To the right person you may do quite well. Again though, if you have nothing in it like you say $1500 is a nice figure, of course the more the better