Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 08:22 AM

Default Rocky Mtn. House council joins the herd.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...cXJTp-SydCbqdo
Old 04-22-2021, 10:17 AM

You have to subscribe to the Globe.....so unless you do, no one can read it.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman View Post
You have to subscribe to the Globe.....so unless you do, no one can read it.
I don't subscribe and the link comes up fine on my computer...could read the whole article.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:49 AM

They only allow 10 articles for free. So not hard to use up your quota, specially by the 22nd.

I second that the article is behind subscription wall
Old 04-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
They only allow 10 articles for free. So not hard to use up your quota, specially by the 22nd.

Ahhh, I'm not a regular reader, so explains why I had no issues.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Town council in Alberta environment minister’s riding wants better coal consultation
4-5 minutes

Alberta Environment and Parks Minister Jason Nixon takes part in a news conference in Calgary, on Sept. 15, 2020.

Todd Korol/The Canadian Press

A town council in Alberta Environment Minister Jason Nixon’s backyard wants broader consultation over the government’s plans for open-pit coal mining in the Rocky Mountains.

On Tuesday, the community of Rocky Mountain House voted to send a letter to the United Conservative government asking for a more extensive evaluation of its proposal to dramatically expand the industry. Talks would go far beyond what has so far been offered.

“I would like to see us have extensive consultations with the public, First Nations and industry,” Mayor Tammy Burke told council in the largest municipality of Mr. Nixon’s constituency.

The letter asks that there be input on land disruption, water quality, air quality and health effects on humans and wildlife. It asks for a cost-benefit analysis that would consider employment in the industry, economic revenue, effect on tourism and potential recreational development.

The province has begun a public consultation on coal mines, which would export steelmaking coal to largely Asian markets. The panel leading the dialogue is only allowed to consider concerns that fall under the Department of Energy, which automatically rules out most of the issues Rocky Mountain House is concerned about.

“I believe in responsible resource development,” Councillor Merrin Fraser said. “The steps that have been taken to prevent consultation on land and water use are not responsible.

“Risking the health and future of our land for a volatile Chinese market ... I’m just not sure that that is a responsible financial decision.

Mr. Nixon’s office did not respond to a request for comment on Rocky Mountain House’s concerns.

Last spring, the government revoked a policy that had protected the summits and eastern slopes of the Rockies since 1976. Public pressure eventually forced Energy Minister Sonya Savage to reinstate the policy, but she did not take back coal leases on thousands of hectares sold in the meantime.

More than two dozen municipalities and six First Nations have expressed some level of concern about expanded mining in the region, which is renowned for its beauty and is the source of most of Alberta’s drinking water.

Those communities include Clearwater County, the district that comprises the bulk of Mr. Nixon’s constituency.

Mr. Nixon has suggested no further consultations will be required. Asked at a meeting of the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association last week about the possibility of a second, environmentally focused set of talks, Mr. Nixon pointed to the province’s current regulations and implied they are adequate to deal with new coal mines.

In an interview, Ms. Burke said council has received more than 50 letters on the issue.

“We just want to make sure that everybody that wants a say in this, has a say in this,” she said. “It doesn’t sound like people are happy with the consultations that are taking place.”

Town council does acknowledge the economic benefits a coal mine could bring.

“This is a large economic item for us, so we can’t just dismiss those economic benefits,” Councillor Len Phillips said. “I think there’s a way of having both.”

Ms. Fraser questioned whether the province can ensure mining on the landscape would be environmentally benign.

“I feel like we’re being (told) by the UCP, ‘Trust us. We’ve got it under control,’” she said.

“But we have evidence time and time again where the government has failed to intervene, failed to apply their own regulations, failed to step in where that is their responsibility.”

Government data shows Alberta Environment knew for years about high levels of contaminants from coal mines in at least three rivers and failed to act. Monitoring stations on those rivers were cut instead.

More recently, satellite imagery has shown that permitted road density from coal exploration is already higher than legal limits.
From The Globe and Mail
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:14 AM

Not a regular reader (doubt I read any GM articles this months), but it is paywalled on my phone.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:15 AM

I just read it 11;15 am
Old 04-22-2021, 11:34 AM

If you clear your Internet history it should reset the number of articles you’ve read for the month. A local paper here in Montana does that and all I do is clear the history and reload the page. Worth a shot.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:52 AM

It’s a herd they should join. Open pit coal mining should become a thing of the past. Speaking of herds — too many on this forum would vote for a masturbating monkey so long as it ran under UCP.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It’s a herd they should join. Open pit coal mining should become a thing of the past. Speaking of herds — too many on this forum would vote for a masturbating monkey so long as it ran under UCP.

Haha! Spit coffee on my computer screen....now sit back for the show....
Old 04-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Don, what exactly do you mean joining the Herd? From your posts on fishing I gather you oppose mining....I think RMH council is asking questions also?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:46 AM

I'm not sure where *Albertans* will benefit from this. Looking to me to be more and more a FoothillsGate style scenario. Many times I've heard, "I don't care, by that time I'll be dead" on other issues and I would say that applies here too.

I'd like to know where Albertans will benefit out of this, bearing in mind the aforementioned above. I simply do not trust the judgement or opinions of others without knowing what we get out of this and if SHTF due to many scenarios how that will be mitigated aside from sleazy assurances from grifters and popularity contest winners.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Not a regular reader (doubt I read any GM articles this months), but it is paywalled on my phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post

Try opening the link in "incognito" or "private" mode in your browser, that may work...
Old 04-23-2021, 10:58 AM

Default Lets mine that COAL!

We need Jobs!
Old 04-23-2021, 05:44 PM

Some good news, Alberta halts exploration. People aren't happy.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7783636/a...-consultation/

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-23-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleclimber View Post
We need Jobs!
We do desperately, but this is a No Win.

Grizz
Old 04-24-2021, 06:46 AM

95% of Albertans (and people on this board) don't know the first thing about mining beyond what they read in the news.

It can be done safely and in a sustainable manner. You're a fool to think it can't. We have a resource that is in demand. We should exploit that resource to the benefit of all people who live here.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=JustBen;4364996]95% of Albertans (and people on this board) don't know the first thing about mining beyond what they read in the news.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:28 AM

They probably haulted exploration because they are done exploration lol
Old 04-24-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
95% of Albertans (and people on this board) don't know the first thing about mining beyond what they read in the news.

It can be done safely and in a sustainable manner. You're a fool to think it can't. We have a resource that is in demand. We should exploit that resource to the benefit of all people who live here.
Agreed but Coal Mining bad, Oil good lol.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:36 PM
Banned

Default I love 'Alberta Oil', 'Alberta Gas', and 'Alberta Coal'

These numbers are eye opening.
Our federal government rush to go green doesn’t appear to really have the potential to put a dent in the climate change issue.
Unless China, India and Europe do likewise it would appear to me that there will be little or no change with coal emissions.

How many coal-fired power plants are there in the world today? Green New Deal???

The EU has 468 - & building 27 more... Total 495,
Turkey has 56 - & building 93 more... Total 149,
South Africa has 79 - & building 24 more... Total 103,
India has 589 - & building 446 more... Total 1035,
Philippines has 19 - & building 60 more... Total 79,
South Korea has 58 - & building 26 more... Total 84,
Japan has 90 - & building 45 more... Total 135,
China has 2,363 - & building 1,171 more... Total = 3,534.

That’s 5,615 projected coal powered plants in just 8 countries.

USA has 15 - & building 0 more... Total = 15.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:11 AM

And Canada is going to reverse climate change with solar panels, wind farms amd $1000/month power bills.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-26-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post

^^^Absolutely ^^^

We have a pile of idiotic flyfisherman and other visitors coming down to the pass who don't have a sniff of a clue.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
I just wasted a little morning coffee when I read that. True and funny.