Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
His family is sucking up all the media attention, expect a few book deals forthcoming.

no need for book deals...the family was paid $27 Million by the City of Minneapolis PRIOR to the trial.

The jury was fully aware of that...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/george...ment-1.5947716
Old 04-22-2021, 08:54 AM

If your black and killed by a badge, the family gets a good lawyer and wins the lottery. There was a report the lawyer representing the Floyd family got 7 or 8 million. He’s already representing two more families who had black family members shot and killed by white cops. I wonder if the family would rather have George show up high at Christmas dinner or be multi millionaires.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
If your black and killed by a badge, the family gets a good lawyer and wins the lottery. There was a report the lawyer representing the Floyd family got 7 or 8 million. He’s already representing two more families who had black family members shot and killed by white cops. I wonder if the family would rather have George show up high at Christmas dinner or be multi millionaires.
How very human of you. My guess is that if the roles were different you would hire a crappy lawyer and give him nothing. I might wonder what your family thinks when you show up for dinner. ?
Old 04-23-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
How very human of you. My guess is that if the roles were different you would hire a crappy lawyer and give him nothing. I might wonder what your family thinks when you show up for dinner. ?

They think, “Crap. We have to listen to this BS again?”

Marshall McLuhan
Old 04-23-2021, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=Cement Bench;4364116]there were 3 officers leaning on,him most of the time not just one

AT NO TIME WAS THE CLOWN CO-OPERATIVE WITH THE POLICE

IF HE GOT IN THE COP CAR AND STAYED THERE HE WOULD BE ALIVE

IF HE WOULD JUST SHUT UP HE WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BREATHE

need I go on further

NO... 3 sentences that says it all. Comply and use the legal system..
Old 04-23-2021, 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=Ronaround;4364648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
there were 3 officers leaning on,him most of the time not just one

AT NO TIME WAS THE CLOWN CO-OPERATIVE WITH THE POLICE

IF HE GOT IN THE COP CAR AND STAYED THERE HE WOULD BE ALIVE

IF HE WOULD JUST SHUT UP HE WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BREATHE

need I go on further

NO... 3 sentences that says it all. Comply and use the legal system..
If the dirty cop hadn’t kneeled on his neck for 10 minutes he’d be alive.

One sentence.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 04-23-2021, 08:24 AM

The bottom line, is that he was entitled to a trial, he had a trial, he was found guilty, by the same legal system that he was being paid to be a part of.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:50 PM

Exclamation People just don't listen. Or, surefire cure for stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Common theme of most of the shootings is resisting arrest. If you don’t want to get shot, don’t resist. The police aren’t supposed to fight fair, they are to use every advantage they have to avoid harm. Chauvin is guilty of something (not 3 murder charges in my opinion) and deserves to be in jail but if Floyd had any sense of self preservation and would have got in the car instead of fighting, he’d still be alive.

If you want to read up on a police killing that is, in my opinion, much more egregious that the George Floyd murder, look up the Daniel Shaver shooting. Odd that I didn’t hear about it on CBC.
According to the bodycam footage, Daniel Shaver didn't follow instructions either. (that's sarcasm)
Serious warning: Youtube requires sign in to watch this NSFW video; you can't unwatch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUUx0jUKxc

Recent update from Laney Shaver: https://imgur.com/gallery/7PcN9HV

Move along people, nothing to see here.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-23-2021, 06:03 PM

^ That cop too should have been sent to prison. A ridiculous case, imo.

The following is a pretty good article on the subject (the whole thing should be read though, to the end).

The Atlantic: What the Death of Daniel Shaver Reveals About Policing
Old 04-23-2021, 06:37 PM
Banned

As bad as the Daniel Shaver case is the fact that’s it’s not at all unique is the scary part.

In 2017 Andrew Finch was killed by police while standing on his porch after someone made a prank call and gave his address. While the person who made the call was charged the officer was not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Wichita_swatting

In 2016 a mental health worker named Charles Kinsey was shot in the leg while laying on the ground with his hands in the air. He was next to his patient, a non verbal autistic man who was holding a toy truck. The officer who shot Kinsey was actually shooting at the disabled man but missed. This SWAT officer took three shots from less than 50m distance and all he managed to do was hit the other person in the leg. This officer was charged but didn’t get any jail time, he got probation and had to write a 2500 word essay on policing for the court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Charles_Kinsey

Look at the picture from just before the officer decided to shoot that’s on that link. AN ESSAY?!?!?

These are prime examples of why the police find themselves under heavy scrutiny now.

Last edited by midgetwaiter; 04-23-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The bottom line, is that he was entitled to a trial, he had a trial, he was found guilty, by the same legal system that he was being paid to be a part of.
... and when the verdict was read he calmly put his hands behind his back and waited to be handcuffed, if only George Floyd had done the same
Old 04-23-2021, 07:48 PM

I considered it to be terrific news when I learned of the result of the trial. It’s great to see a police officer being held accountable, but it’s too bad to see them tarred with the same brush.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=hal53;4364877]... and when the verdict was read he calmly put his hands behind his back and waited to be handcuffed, if only George Floyd had done the same[

George Floyd died in hand cuffs.... there was no reason for that. 99% of the time I don’t feel sorry for the morons getting shot (white, black or purple) but this guy didn’t deserve to die for what he did.
There’s already jurors claiming they were scared to let the cop go, he will be out of jail by the end of the year.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
That’s about the sum of it
Old 04-23-2021, 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=silver lab;4364904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
... and when the verdict was read he calmly put his hands behind his back and waited to be handcuffed, if only George Floyd had done the same[

George Floyd died in hand cuffs.... there was no reason for that. 99% of the time I don’t feel sorry for the morons getting shot (white, black or purple) but this guy didn’t deserve to die for what he did.
There’s already jurors claiming they were scared to let the cop go, he will be out of jail by the end of the year.
Between those jurors, and Bidens comments, he will likely be granted an appeal, maybe a new trial.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Between those jurors, and Bidens comments, he will likely be granted an appeal, maybe a new trial.
Between - not sequestering the jury, Maxine Waters' comments, the threats of violence, and a host of other non-filtered media interference , I can't see how this doesn't get a mistrial.

And then the crown will blame the media, the crowds doing the threatening, and a select few politicians for Chauvin walking free.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Between - not sequestering the jury, Maxine Waters' comments, the threats of violence, and a host of other non-filtered media interference , I can't see how this doesn't get a mistrial.
And don't forget to note that the city of Minneapolis payed out $27 million to the Floyd family PRIOR to the trial...a fact the jurors were all aware of....
Old 04-23-2021, 10:19 PM

From an AP article I read earlier today. Figured I’d post it here:

WHAT ARE POSSIBLE ISSUES THE DEFENSE COULD RAISE ON APPEAL?

The defense has said it was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial in Minneapolis because of pretrial publicity and community pressure on jurors to convict. That claim is sure to underpin any appeal.

As they arrived at and left the courthouse each day for testimony, jurors passed clear signs that the city was preparing for renewed protests. The courthouse downtown was encircled by razor wire and guarded by armed troops. Most storefront windows were boarded up.

A prime target of an appeal would be key rulings by trial Judge Peter Cahill, including that the trial should remain in Minneapolis rather than be moved and that jurors should be sequestered only for deliberations.

Cahill also refused to delay the trial after Minneapolis announced a $27 million settlement with Floyd’s family during jury selection. The defense says that suggested guilt before jurors even heard evidence.

The defense has decried as prosecutorial misconduct remarks by the state during closings, including that aspects of the defense case were “nonsense.” That claim could make its way into an appeal.

HAVE RETRIALS EVER BEEN GRANTED BECAUSE JURORS FELT PRESSURED?

Yes, though it’s rare.

A U.S. appeals court in 1999 vacated white Detroit police Officer Larry Nevers’ conviction in the beating death of a Black motorist, noting how at least one juror had learned the National Guard was on standby in case Nevers was acquitted and violence ensued.

“The Court cannot imagine a more prejudicial extraneous influence than that of a juror discovering that the City he or she resides in is bracing for a riot,” it said, adding that letting the conviction stand would send the wrong message that rights to an impartial jury “do not extend to an obviously guilty defendant.”

Similarly, an appeals court in Florida ordered a new trial for a plain-clothed Hispanic officer, William Lozano, who fatally shot Black motorcyclist Clement Lloyd in 1989. A passenger on the motorcycle also died. Protests erupted in Miami.

At the 1991 Miami trial, jurors convicted Lozano of manslaughter. The appellate ruling overturning the conviction highlighted how some jurors admitted they feared an acquittal would renew protests. At his 1993 retrial in Orlando, Lozano was acquitted.

COULD COMMENTS BY POLITICIANS LEAD TO A RETRIAL FOR CHAUVIN?

Judge Cahill seemed to think that’s at least a possibility.

He rebuked U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters on Monday for telling a crowd in a Minneapolis suburb days before deliberations started that, if Chauvin wasn’t convicted of murder, “we’ve got to get more confrontational.”

Cahill called the California Democrat’s comments “disrespectful to the rule of law,” saying elected officials shouldn’t comment about ongoing trials. “Their failure to do so, I think, is abhorrent,” he said.

Cahill indicated that Waters’ comments could be appealable.

“I’ll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you (the defense) something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned,” he said in court Monday.

HOW DOES THE DEFENSE SHOW JURORS WERE IMPROPERLY INFLUENCED?

Mike Brandt, a leading Minneapolis-based criminal attorney who closely followed the Chauvin trial, said Chauvin’s attorneys have heavy lifting to do before they can argue on appeal that jurors were unduly influenced or pressured.

He said appellate courts won’t simply let Chauvin’s lawyers theorize that jurors might have heard Waters’ comments. Rather, they must offer proof that specific jurors heard the comments and that those comments influenced their votes to convict, he said.

The same goes for statements by prosecutors allegedly disparaging the defense case and for the contention that jurors found Chauvin guilty because they feared triggering angry protests if they didn’t.

The defense must present compelling evidence — typically admissions from jurors themselves — that such statements and fears caused them to find Chauvin guilty, Brandt said.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS CHAUVIN WINS HIS APPEAL?

The odds are heavily against Chauvin, Brandt and other legal experts say.

Even if appellate judges find Chauvin’s judge made erroneous rulings, they still must answer a decisive question: If Cahill had ruled differently, such as by granting a change-of-venue motion, is it conceivable the trial’s outcome could have been different? If the answer is no, Brandt said, they won’t toss the verdicts.

An appeals court may also look favorably on Cahill’s reasoning in denying a change of venue. Cahill had noted that media scrutiny of Floyd’s death was nearly as intense across Minnesota, suggesting that any alternate city would have faced the same challenge of preventing news from tainting the jury.

Also, higher courts have repeatedly ruled that jury selection is an effective way to counteract unflattering media accounts of a defendant and to ensure even-handed jurors are impaneled.

And Brandt said Cahill gave Chauvin’s lawyers more latitude than usual in questioning potential jurors about biases and in striking ones they thought couldn’t be fair — latitude appellate courts would likely note.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 PM
Banned

Pretty good documentary on TV right now on 20/20. Started at 10 pm. It started off with Floyd’s background. I’ll see where the next 90 minutes goes.

EDIT: Now on to Cauvin’s background. Pretty good so far imo.

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-23-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
This wins most awful post of the week. Just awful.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
This wins most awful post of the week. Just awful.
You are being kind with the word “awful”. The word that i’d use would get me banned.

Which would you rather if it came to a member of your family or the money?

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-23-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:05 PM

Lots of very very misguided people in here, some absolutely shameful comments.

Policing isn't about kneeling on a handcuffed mans neck.
Policing is about protecting people, even those under arrest.
Policing has always been about protecting people.

George Floyd was no danger to anyone, when cuffed, on the ground, face down.

I can't speak to Derek Chauvins intentions, I do not know the man. I don't think the video shows an intent to murder.

I do think it is assault. I struggle to see how anyone would see it differently, and I'm very glad the jurors didn't.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:21 PM

Capitol police officer who shot and killed unarmed rioter will not be charged;

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/14/offi...-doj-says.html
Old 04-24-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers View Post
Lots of very very misguided people in here, some absolutely shameful comments.

Policing isn't about kneeling on a handcuffed mans neck.
Policing is about protecting people, even those under arrest.
Policing has always been about protecting people.

George Floyd was no danger to anyone, when cuffed, on the ground, face down.

I can't speak to Derek Chauvins intentions, I do not know the man. I don't think the video shows an intent to murder.

I do think it is assault. I struggle to see how anyone would see it differently, and I'm very glad the jurors didn't.
The jurors obviously saw it differently, they found him guilty of murder.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
The jurors obviously saw it differently, they found him guilty of murder.
You should inform yourself about what he was charged with and what he was convicted of.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
You should inform yourself about what he was charged with and what he was convicted of.

He was found guilty of all three charges, which doesn't even make sense for one act. They charged him with three charges, giving the jury options, but it appears that the jury was so afraid of finding him not guilty of any of the charges, they fund him guilty of all three. He wasn't even charged with assault.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-24-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
He was found guilty of all three charges, which doesn't even make sense for one act.
Again, you really should inform yourself on what he was charged with and convicted of.

If nothing else you’ll have learned something, and that’s always a good thing.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Again, you really should inform yourself on what he was charged with and convicted of.

If nothing else you’ll have learned something, and that’s always a good thing.
Meanwhile , in your first post you claim to have come here to learn about hunting, yet every one of your posts is in the general discussion forum.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Capitol police officer who shot and killed unarmed rioter will not be charged;

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/14/offi...-doj-says.html
This shooting just faded away , no smashing windows , looting, burning , injuring Police officers and outfitting with new Nike's and Flat screens.........
Old 04-24-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
This shooting just faded away , no smashing windows , looting, burning , injuring Police officers and outfitting with new Nike's and Flat screens.........
Had she been a black Biden supporter, I am thinking that riots would have resulted.