Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 08:26 PM

On a fishing note one hundred years ago this year...

April 1921 - Four lake trout from Cold lake were weighed. Total weight: 211 lbs.. The largest lake trout weighed 60 lbs. Weighed on certified scales by George MacDonald, an inspector of fisheries at Prince Albert, Sask..

~~~
June 1921

The shallow stream between Lac LaNonne and Majeau lakes was a celebrated perch spawning stream.

~~~
~~~

June of 1928 -

200,000 brook trout were stocked into Maligne Lake at Jasper National Park. The brook trout came to Alberta by train as fish eggs during the winter of 1927 from Creaco, Pennsylvania. There is no mention of where the brookie eggs were kept and then hatched. The fry were hatched, brooded and finally transported by packhorse to Maligne Lake and released.

During the 1920's stocking fish in Glacial waters was still a federal experiment.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-21-2021, 06:38 PM

A tidbit for the gold panners who think it is impossible to find enough gold.

Thirty five years after the gold dredges had come and gone on the North Saskatchewan river gold rush of 1896-97, in 1932, a Mr. Tormod Nesjan took his wife and oldest son and started from Genesee on a log raft that was 12' x 20' in late May. The whole 'camp and kitchen' was on the raft. Tormod took the whole summer to reach Edmonton drifting from sand bar to sandbar. He sluiced for gold along the way. No pumps on his sluice box so he manually pouring the water needed to sluice. When he got to Edmonton by late September he had amassed 25 ounces of gold. This man went on to become the Holborn ferry operator in 1936. The Holborn ferry was the first ferry that was upstream of Edmonton. It was south of Stony Plain.

25 ounces at today's prices would be pretty good wages for 4 months work. 25 x 2267.00 = $56,665.00. Back in 1932 25 ounces of gold was worth $517.25 which was still considerable considering this was during the dirty thirties.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-21-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:03 PM

Thought I would share some photos I have been coming across. These photos are part of the Glenbow Museum collections. A person can go to the galleries on this link.

https://www.glenbow.org/art-artifact...tion-overview/

These pictures were all related to hunting in Alberta a lifetime ago. Each picture has a short description of the event. Thought they were worthy of sharing and also hoping this is ok with the Glenbow.

* The Edson area surveyor's black bear looks pretty big. Nice mulie too.

*I love Mr. Goddard's wearable duck blind.

* Interesting that the eureka trappers had a good catch of lynx. The rabbit cycle was probably on a high that year or the year before.

** Interesting that the picture of the pronghorn pole was from 1909. Other history I've read indicated that from 1906 to 1913 the seasons and species allowed were extremely regulated so it makes me wonder. Also odd was just the head of a 6th doe pronghorn is hanging on the end of the frame. From 1906 to 1913 there wasn't an open season on buffalo, or the females of elk, moose, deer, antelope, sheep or the young of all big game.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-12-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboy View Post
I helped track the introduced Fisher in the 90s. We’ve had one visit most every summer over the last 7 years along the NSR near Genesse. I’ve attached this falls pic.

I’m by Telfordville and have had one in my yard multiple times.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter View Post
I’m by Telfordville and have had one in my yard multiple times.
Very nice to see, unless you are a squirrel. I know a woman that has a fisher coming through her place regularly too. She is just a couple miles from Devon.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Been a while. Had to read some more tidbits and take care of other pressing things.

In the spirit of this forum here's nice old pictures from around Barrhead's countryside.

1) the rabbit hunters, about 1910.
2) A day's fishing at Lac La Nonne. 1940. note one big fish.
3) A day's fishing on the Paddle river in 1909.
4) A real nice mule deer shot by Barrhead in 1930. The deer's head is supposedly at the Barrhead Museum.
What kind of fish is the big one from Lac la Nonne?
Old 11-13-2021, 06:34 PM

Hey you young folks. If you are thinking of buying a paddle bard save your money. Get yourself a poling log instead.

In the late 1930's this guy was poling his log down the Athabasca river. He started poling from the Chisholm sawmill camp. Not sure how far he would go.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
What kind of fish is the big one from Lac la Nonne?
I am going to guess that the big fish would have been a female walleye. Sort of has the body shape.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thought I would share some photos I have been coming across. These photos are part of the Glenbow Museum collections. A person can go to the galleries on this link.

https://www.glenbow.org/art-artifact...tion-overview/

These pictures were all related to hunting in Alberta a lifetime ago. Each picture has a short description of the event. Thought they were worthy of sharing and also hoping this is ok with the Glenbow.

* The Edson area surveyor's black bear looks pretty big. Nice mulie too.

*I love Mr. Goddard's wearable duck blind.

* Interesting that the eureka trappers had a good catch of lynx. The rabbit cycle was probably on a high that year or the year before.

** Interesting that the picture of the pronghorn pole was from 1909. Other history I've read indicated that from 1906 to 1913 the seasons and species allowed were extremely regulated so it makes me wonder. Also odd was just the head of a 6th doe pronghorn is hanging on the end of the frame. From 1906 to 1913 there wasn't an open season on buffalo, or the females of elk, moose, deer, antelope, sheep or the young of all big game.
Just look at the ram in the last picture, wow what a hog, thanks for posting these lost pictures from a time long ago.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:48 PM

In 1881 the winter in the Peace River area and Lesser Slave Lake area was so mild there was no snow. In was noted that all the moose left those two areas. No one could figure out why because there were barely any wolves to chase them.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:50 PM

I find this very interesting. Wish this was still the case.

October 13, 1892 Lennie Goodridge caught a true brook trout yesterday, in the North Saskatchewan river at the lower ferry landing. The colored specks on it's sides were clearly marked. The mountain trout that are very common have grey specks.

The lower ferry landing in 1892 would have been around Capilano/Gold Bar in east Edmonton.

~~~
Old 12-03-2021, 09:12 AM

Default From a Book called, Alberta, a history in photos

1922. Show jumping of Dorothy Wood at the Edmonton Exhibition Grounds

Old 12-05-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Moose moving out ?

Quote:
In 1881 the winter in the Peace River area and Lesser Slave Lake area was so mild there was no snow. In was noted that all the moose left those two areas. No one could figure out why because there were barely any wolves to chase them.
With no snow to eat and all water frozen the moose went to where they
get snow to eat.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:48 AM

In the stories of the fur trade we were told or read, the women and children are not mentioned much. The fur trade stories are romanticised to be for only rugged lonely trappers and not family men with their families to support and feed.

Where Wabamun Lake creek runs into the North Saskatchewan river there was a trading post built there early in 1808. Wabamun creek enters the North Saskatchewan river straight south on Range road 31 on the north side of the river, about two miles upstream of the genessee bridge.

In 1808 a very prominent person in the North West Company in the Alberta territory, Alexander Henry the Younger, traded for the NWC and lived at Wabamun creek. His men built a fort in 1808 and called it the New White Earth post. Not to be confused with the White Earth Post many miles downstream.

It amazes me that the women and children outnumbered the men living at the trading post/fort on the creek that year. There were 28 men, 35 women and 72 kids living at this post. 135 people to feed. Lots of fish in the river and at nearby lakes and lots of buffalo in the area to keep them fed. Small garden plots too.

Now if you go to Wabamun creek you would be hard pressed to find the post site. Not much water in the creek and the river flat is worked fields. I've looked with no luck. Just another forgotten historic place.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:18 AM

Quote:
In the stories of the fur trade we were told or read, the women and children are not mentioned much. The fur trade stories are romanticised to be for only rugged lonely trappers and not family men with their families to support and feed.

Where Wabamun Lake creek runs into the North Saskatchewan river there was a trading post built there early in 1808. Wabamun creek enters the North Saskatchewan river straight south on Range road 31 on the north side of the river, about two miles upstream of the genessee bridge.

In 1808 a very prominent person in the North West Company in the Alberta territory, Alexander Henry the Younger, traded for the NWC and lived at Wabamun creek. His men built a fort in 1808 and called it the New White Earth post. Not to be confused with the White Earth Post many miles downstream.

It amazes me that the women and children outnumbered the men living at the trading post/fort on the creek that year. There were 28 men, 35 women and 72 kids living at this post. 135 people to feed. Lots of fish in the river and at nearby lakes and lots of buffalo in the area to keep them fed. Small garden plots too.

Now if you go to Wabamun creek you would be hard pressed to find the post site. Not much water in the creek and the river flat is worked fields. I've looked with no luck. Just another forgotten historic place.
Sorry. To correct myself with the dates I mentioned. Was too late to edit the post.
In 1808 Alexander Henry the Younger was assigned to the North Saskatchewan River as fur trader for the North West Company. He wintered and traded at Fort Vermilion.
In 1809 he went to Fort Edmonton area as a trader. It was in 1810 he was trading at where the creek from Wabamun Lake entered the river.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 AM

In 1822 the Hudsons Bay Company at Fort Edmonton, Chief Trader John Rowland and Chief factor Donald Mackenzie, hired all available voyageurs and freemen to go overland to build and establish trading posts. Chesterfield House was to be built where Empress is today and then the Old Bow fort on the Bow river was also built on this expedition.

A really cool personal tidbit is my kids' ancestors (from their mom's side) were part of that party of 108 men, 14 women and 21 children. My own kids' Gr Gr Gr Gr grandfather was hired for that expedition. He also had his wife and two daughters with him on the fort building expedition.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-18-2022 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:01 PM

I'm bumping this thread so it's not so far away next time I look for it.
(Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I'm bumping this thread so it's not so far away next time I look for it.
(Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up)
Hoping Red Bullets has some new additions to the thread soon!
Old 03-14-2022, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Hoping Red Bullets has some new additions to the thread soon!
Thanks you for your comments Dewey and MountainTi. It inspires me to get back to posted tidbits. I hope to have some new tidbits posted in the coming days.

Just a short more recent tidbit to chew on....

Back in about 1980 a man named "Buck" and his wife saddled up their horses and one pack horse and started their ride north. Their ride started in Texas, USA. Buck and his wife took almost two years to ride to Alberta where they wintered 13 miles west of Leduc. They rented a very old farm house with no windows and fixed up one back room for the winter and built a small corral. They stayed for the winter and then hopped back on their horses to complete their journey. Another year of the saddles and Buck and his wife made it to Alaska. A 3 or 4 year ride. Sadly, after only a couple weeks in Alaska Buck passed away. I believe his wife stayed in Alaska. Buck was one of the true blue cowboys I met.

~~~
50 years ago I was fortunate enough to go with 26 other horseback riders and 3 chuckwagons and we rode from west of Leduc to near Rocky Mountain house and back. About 3 weeks of riding and camping along the way. I lucked out because this group of riders and wagons stopped to ask if they could camp on our farmyard for a night. My Dad told them they could if I could tag along. I had my own horse and gear so they agreed. A great memory for me.

Anyone else go on any long rides?
Old 08-04-2022, 11:43 AM

http://parkscanadahistory.com/series/chs/6/chs6-1d.htm

A good read albeit a tad long on the development of the fur trade and establishment of trading forts in Alberta in the late 1700's early 1800's

BW
Old 08-04-2022, 11:59 AM

Red bullets, I truly love this post. Have you ever thought of writing them all down into a history pamphlet? I know a few people who would buy them. Alta history is becoming lost.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:18 PM

Was down the “titbits of Alberta” rabbit hole and it just needs a good bump..