Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Default Yukon

Looking for anyone who has lived or spent considerable time in the Yukon. Its been on my mind for a few years now, and finally have a trip planned to go up to Whitehorse and surrounding area next year.

I'm not in a position to move right now, it'll be a few years yet, but having a goal in mind will help motivate me to get things wrapped here asap. The wife is still a bit dubious, mostly due to her fear of bears, long winters and no friends. I'm hoping a trip there will either bring her fully on board or else eliminate the Yukon as an option for me. I can't see me not liking it, but maybe its not what I think it is.

So, what is it like living around Whitehorse? Winters much worse? How is the hunting and fishing? Real estate looks pretty pricey, can a guy expect to make decent money there(auto tech) and is there work to be found? I expect cost of living is somewhat higher, but there is also the Northern Living Allowance, so does it kinda balance out? How about the people there, are you regarded as an outsider or are they generally friendly? Anyone with any insight or experience, I'd appreciate your input.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM

I worked up there for three years and I really liked it. The economy is very up and down and LOTS of people work for the gov. The northern tax credit helps a bit but not much. Depending on what you want the real estate is expensive but I never looked at the price of a house in town. We where considering an acreage and they are very expensive and I could not get my head around it.

The whole Yukon population is very transient and people are from all over the world. Its hard to find folks that where born there I found. On general people seem to be happy and friendly I would say. I don't think the wages are very much higher there but's it's been 3 1/2 years since I was there.

Outdoor pursuits are great but I think its a myth that the game is crawling all over the place. Fishing is great and you have access to the ocean via Alaska. The winters are not that bad at all but they can get a huge dump. It's dark in the winter which may have an effect on you and wifey but maybe not. It did not bother me but it effects some folks.

Not sure what else you want to know but ask away.

Dog_River
Old 07-26-2015, 09:34 PM

I lived in the Yukon for more than 15 yrs. I diamond drilled in every corner of the Yukon, BC and the Territories. Whitehorse is the best place I have ever lived. The people are friendly, as most of them have moved from other parts of the world for the same reason as you. I found it very easy to find life long friends with a lot of things in common.
The outdoors is the major draw to being in the north. Fishing 10 minutes from the city at midnight is a good time. Hunting a 60" moose from a boat in sept. also a good time. There is only one real rule to know in the Yukon, don't ****** with the bears.
The Yukon is a boom or bust place. With the price of gold dropping and mining slowing the housing market might soften a bit. I like to watch that TV show where people from the south are paying way to much to live in the bush. Most wont make a winter before moving back south. Its a love it or hate it deal. The winters are long but not any worse than Edmonton. There are hundreds of clubs the might interest you and your wife.
I would move back in a minute if I wasn't hooked on farming, its also a good life.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 PM

Thanks guys, thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for.