Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Gun Facts Website

Hey guys

Working on a website and could use some input and Facts!

the website is http://canadiangunfacts.ca

Basically looking for your input on how to make it better and facts to add to the website.

I just took it online today so I don't have alot of facts yet ( 8 ish ) but I'm adding more by the hour.

Mods please move if this is in the wrong section.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:03 PM

The maximum magazine size of a semi-automatic rifle must not exceed 5 rounds to be legal in Canada.

You need to fix this one up a bit to fit in the "facts".
Your idea and site is a good one. Best of luck with it and hoping for lots of success for you.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:10 PM

Cool idea.

My thoughts:

Give "Guns" in the sentence under "Canadian Gun Facts" a lowercase "g". In the sentence it's uppercase and whether or not you did it on purpose, it has biased undertones.

Also, make the statscan graph a little clearer. The Y axis is very distorted, at least on my computer. Saying something has dropped by x % can be very misleading if you cannot read the axes.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
The maximum magazine size of a semi-automatic rifle must not exceed 5 rounds to be legal in Canada.

Your idea and site is a good one. Best of luck with it and hoping for lots of success for you.
Fixing it up as to include the ability to bypass the limit with a specific magazine?

Other then that not sure what I need to fix can you explain.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoocli View Post
Fixing it up as to include the ability to bypass the limit with a specific magazine?

Other then that not sure what I need to fix can you explain.
How about rimfires
Old 07-25-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Cool idea.

My thoughts:

Give "Guns" in the sentence under "Canadian Gun Facts" a lowercase "g". In the sentence it's uppercase and whether or not you did it on purpose, it has biased undertones.

Also, make the statscan graph a little clearer. The Y axis is very distorted, at least on my computer. Saying something has dropped by x % can be very misleading if you cannot read the axes.
There, tried to make the images bigger and removed the capital g. Unfortunately that stats can one isn't the clearest. I do link back to the website I got the information from when I quote things like statistics so they can go to the webpage.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How about rimfires
good point, reworded to say centre fire.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:14 PM

Make sure your wording is clear and concise.

No slang. Proper grammar.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Default AR-15 facts

The AR-15 fact should say you must "possess" not "own" restricted firearms license.

Good idea for a site.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:39 PM

On the AR-15 page you have a typo on what should read "Armalite". You note that it can only be used at a range, but you should word it "It can only be used at an approved range" or "It can only be used at a range approved for the use of restricted firearms"

Another suggestion "You must possess a Possession and Acquisition Licence with restricted endorsement in order to own a restricted firearm such as the AR-15"

"AR-15 platform rifles are available in a variety of chamberings, which would make them suitable for big game hunting in all provinces if the law allowed the rifle to be used in this manner. The most common .223 Remington/ 5.56mm Nato chamberings are legal for big game hunting in some provinces, while other provinces require a minimum .23 calibre projectile for the hunting of big game species"

Last edited by CaberTosser; 07-25-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post

The M1 garand will not cycle without an 8 round clip.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
The M1 garand will not cycle without an 8 round clip.
I understand the m1 is an exception. I plan on adding its own little fact adding it can bypass the 5 round limit.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
On the AR-15 page you have a typo on what should read "Armalite". You note that it can only be used at a range, but you should word it "It can only be used at an approved range" or "It can only be used at a range approved for the use of restricted firearms"

Another suggestion "You must possess a Possession and Acquisition Licence with restricted endorsement in order to own a restricted firearm such as the AR-15"

"AR-15 platform rifles are available in a variety of chamberings, which would make them suitable for big game hunting in all provinces if the law allowed the rifle to be used in this manner. The most common .223 Remington/ 5.56mm Nato chamberings are legal for big game hunting in some provinces, while other provinces require a minimum .23 calibre projectile for the hunting of big game species"
Thank you! its been updated
Old 07-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Some interesting things in there , but calling them " facts " would suggest that they are all true , can you confirm that all the facts listed ( or will be listed ) are 100 % true ? I don't mean this in a negative way , there just seems to be generally a lot of " Gray areas " regarding firearms .

And at this time , reading on the site tends to get frustrating due to the vast amount of repetitiveness of the " facts " Is that something that you will be fixing ?

Do people post directly to the site , or does it go through you first ? ie ... who is responsible for content and editing ?

And lastly , not sure what you may have in mind , but to me , some sort of system of numbering ( or whatever ) each "fact" , so that each time anybody come back to the site after some amount of time has pasted ( new "facts" added ) , one would have some sort of way of keeping track of where they left off , as not to have to go through all "facts" they have already read , unless of course they want to .

Could be an interesting site though Good luck with it
Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 AM

I agree that the random nature of the info that pops up is not ideal, to be taken seriously it should be organized in a searchable fashion so that interested parties can easily locate what they wish to find. That being said, with what I've read so far you're certainly not an English major, some simple things such as sentence structure and random capitalization make it look amateurish; there is work to be done to get it looking professional and trustworthy. I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm merely providing blunt constructive criticism. The last thing the internet needs is more misinformation, or accurate information that can be dismissed as being false due to poor presentation.

When you're searching for information about anything, and Google up a few sites in an attempt to cross-reference data or whatnot, you'll often encounter websites that don't quite seem right in some way or another. When this happens it plants seeds of doubt as to the validity of the content, even if the content is accurate. The counter to this is the well-presented website that's intentionally full of inaccurate info due to the creator trying to spread their personal biases, don't let such websites win over your target audience.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Make sure your wording is clear and concise.

No slang. Proper grammar.
That ^, and ... consider making the disclaimer line at the bottom of each page, in larger print. As it is now, it's almost microscopic

Mac
Old 07-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Some interesting things in there , but calling them " facts " would suggest that they are all true , can you confirm that all the facts listed ( or will be listed ) are 100 % true ? I don't mean this in a negative way , there just seems to be generally a lot of " Gray areas " regarding firearms .

And at this time , reading on the site tends to get frustrating due to the vast amount of repetitiveness of the " facts " Is that something that you will be fixing ?

Do people post directly to the site , or does it go through you first ? ie ... who is responsible for content and editing ?

And lastly , not sure what you may have in mind , but to me , some sort of system of numbering ( or whatever ) each "fact" , so that each time anybody come back to the site after some amount of time has pasted ( new "facts" added ) , one would have some sort of way of keeping track of where they left off , as not to have to go through all "facts" they have already read , unless of course they want to .

Could be an interesting site though Good luck with it
The gray areas I try to keep on the safe side when posting facts. Like the 5 round magazine limit I don't include the ways to bypass it with certain firearms. I plan on linking anything gray back to where I found the information and include something like always check your local regs.

If people submit a fact it comes to me via email and I will verify it.

Right now I've just got it random but I do intend on numbering it or sorting it in some way. I literally took it live yesterday so it will be a slow process but it will get better as time goes on. It seems repetitive as I only have around 35 facts right now.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I agree that the random nature of the info that pops up is not ideal, to be taken seriously it should be organized in a searchable fashion so that interested parties can easily locate what they wish to find. That being said, with what I've read so far you're certainly not an English major, some simple things such as sentence structure and random capitalization make it look amateurish; there is work to be done to get it looking professional and trustworthy. I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm merely providing blunt constructive criticism. The last thing the internet needs is more misinformation, or accurate information that can be dismissed as being false due to poor presentation.

When you're searching for information about anything, and Google up a few sites in an attempt to cross-reference data or whatnot, you'll often encounter websites that don't quite seem right in some way or another. When this happens it plants seeds of doubt as to the validity of the content, even if the content is accurate. The counter to this is the well-presented website that's intentionally full of inaccurate info due to the creator trying to spread their personal biases, don't let such websites win over your target audience.
Yes, unfortunately English is not my strong suit. I was always better with numbers and programming. I plan on getting my fiancee to go through it and check said grammar. I just wanted to get it live but I will be constantly polishing it and when I get enough facts I will add sub pages.