Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
True enough. You may have seen a youtube video of someone breaking into a gun safe in under a minute but the average meth head that breaks into a house isn't looking for guns. They're just looking for something they can grab quick to sell. If they find a gun under a pillow, in the undie drawer or the nightstand drawer they will take it. They don't have the knowledge or time to break into a gun safe if they come across one.
They would much rather grab your laptop and jewelry.

Yes, and a legally stored pistol case is also easily grabbed. A pistol/pistol case does not need to be stored in a gun safe. So whether it is legally stored in my night stand or illegally stored under my pillow it is just as likely a target of theft.

I'm not anti gun. Far from it. I own a few myself.
I keep a shotgun and a 22 at home.
I have two handguns I store and fire at the gun range. That is pretty much the only place they are legally useful anyway.

It depends on your own situation where they are legal to use. For yourself its the range, for others it is personal property, or in their line of work. I also shoot at more than 1 range so to store them at one range to retrieve them would be impractical for myself.

If you want a gun for home defense, a shotgun is obviously the best choice anyway.

A shotgun is a good choice, but is it the best?

The argument that locks only keep honest people out is wrong. Sure, a thief will steal what he wants if determined enough. Most aren't. Most thefts are crimes of opportunity.

I had a two way radio in my truck for 15 years. Never had it stolen.
I left my truck unlocked once. It got stolen.

Tell that to the 4 door handles that were ripped off my vehicles that I replace at about $200 a pop. I now leave my vehicles unlocked and leave $4 of change in it. So instead of being robbed and having to repair a $200 handle annually. Now I lose $4 of change and have to put all of my owners manuals back in my glove-box annually. I know for a fact locks only keep honest people out.

Thieves are lazy. Agreed. That's why they spend 3 minutes to defeat my lock and steal my personal property to sell it for 20 cents on the dollar; instead of being employed.