Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM
BL

Default Kodiak 450-your likes, dislikes

I am in the process of buying a new quad. Torn between Kodiak 450, Grizzly 660 and Arctic Cat 500. Are the Arctic Cat 500's as durable as I am hearing? How about the other quads I listed above. Thanks BL
Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Anglinfool

I've got an 06 Kodiak 450. It's been a great machine for hunting/fishing and everything in between. They require a little more maintanence then some other ATVs, but if you do things yourself, it's not bad.

The breaks go really fast, but they are some of the best available. I've already had to replace my front pads.
New tires are a must, the stock ones suck.

My buddy has a Grizz 660, and my Kodiak will go everywhere it does. Don't know too much about the Arctic Cats.

I'm happy with my Kodiak, and most guys I've talked to really like theirs as well.

Good luck and let us know what you get.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
jrs

I have rode a kodiak for several summers at work and there pretty tough durable quads. Its true the breaks go quick and i found once a few things go its downhill, maintenance is important! I would buy one myself though, we probably had 2000+ miles on the quad so stuff will go (thats extremely rough riding often overloaded to boot). We bought a Arctic Cat last summer (smaller than 500CC however) but i really like it. Little extra clearance, lots of speed and not a single issue first 600 miles. Still a ways to go before i pass judgement though. Either are good choices. Otherwise I think if you stick with anything made by Honda, Yamaha, or Arctic Cat its a good investment.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
BL

Default Brakes?

Jrs and Anglinfool, you both mention the brakes. Jrs, on the quad you rode, were the brakes drum brakes or disc brakes. Anglinfool, on the 06, are the brakes disc/hydraulic? I have a 97 Kodiak and hate the brakes. You are correct about the tires. I'm glad you mentioned that the Kodiak would go through the same stuff as the 660. BL
Old 02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Brady

Default Re: Brakes?

Hey BL, my buddy has a 450 kodiak, and thus far has been a good ride for him. I think he has right around a 1000 miles on it, without a hiccup. It will go just about anywhere my 660 Grizz will go, BUT, the difference is found once we get into the 'skag, and the thick mud. The extra power is noticable. BTW, we both run 26 inch mud terrain tires. We have hauled out three elk with our quads together, and his power to weight ratio is fine. Feel free to ask any more, I will help if I can.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
DUKE

I'M in the process of buying a 400 bigbear, with the oil sealed breaks and manual tranny and locking front diff. the Bigbear comes already with the upgraded Mudlite tires. this is a new year for the break change. ummmmmmmmm maybe too many problems that i hear. Why the manual tranny?? old school i guess i don't need speed , and the manual tranny my father inlaw likes for farm use..
Old 02-26-2007, 10:45 PM
jrs

"Jrs and Anglinfool, you both mention the brakes. Jrs, on the quad you rode, were the brakes drum brakes or disc brakes."

Its a fairly new model (less than 5 yrs, can't remember precise year) and had disk breaks. I'm not sure whats with them, i have never heard anyone complain about these quads but when i saw another negative point about the breaks i had to throw in my 2 cents. I think it was sandy kind of mud that wrecked them but thats just a theory based on the areas they seemd to wear out in (out by Robb). The breaks on our early 90's hondas at work lasted longer but also wore out (i believe at about 1000 miles). The one point is they went from awesome to crap in about a day, i did tip the quad due to this problem. (Not as bad as when i rolled one of the hondas, in that case i wasn't warned the breaks were gone, they went over a few weeks though and the other guy should have had them repaired) I'm lookin a bit for a quad but would still buy a yamaha. I'd probably prefer a honda though, just as they seem indestructable. There may be something about the breaks however, that or just my general luck and one other unlucky quader. I'd like to hear any other coments on these units also, not sure what one i'll end up with just for hunting/fishing.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
qbochar

I own a 2004 Kodiak 450 and have not had any problems at all. My quad has about 1200 km and quite a few hours of snow plow time. I have never had a problem with the brakes, and as for power it pulls my tub trailer ,12 foot boat and motor, and all of our fishing gear throught the worst mud and skeg ever to get to our secret fishing spot. Get other tires though the factory ones are not that good for pulling cargo. I keep up with the brother in-laws 500 rubi, my buddies 650 Bombi, my other buddies grizzly 660, grizzly 700, Rhino 660 and another buddies honda Rincon with no problems.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Anglinfool

The brakes are dual hydraulic discs in the front and single disc in the rear. They are known to wear fast if your ride in the mud/sand. The aftermarket pads I put on are supposed to last alot longer, but time will tell.

I should mention that I've also jetted the carb and put a clutch kit in. K&N air filter seemed to help it breath as well. Before I did these mods, I did notice it was a little underpowered in the skeg compared to the Grizz. Still got through though .

Again, with any ATV, stock tires are NFG. I went with the Mudlight XTRs. I little more expensive as they are a radial tire, but I couldn't pass them up for the deal I got. Mudbugs, Bearclaws, Vampires (Crazy tire!!) are all good tires.

I also used stock Grizzly rims as they are lighter and have about an inch more offset.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:41 PM
BL

Default Thanks guys

I am surprised about the brakes since they are the newer disc/hydraulic ones. The old drum brakes are awful. I know about the tires. Thanks for some of the extra tidbits. I am going to (hopefully) get the Kodiak 450 this weekend. Wish me luck with my wife if you know what I mean. BL
Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Dewie

Default BL

I just bought the kodiak 450 2007. I LOVE IT. Ask the dealer about the outdoor package, it comes in camo and perrali mudweiser tires, GREAT TIRES. But watch they don't suck you in they want $1000 more but I paid $300 more, $8700+ GST

Artic Cat
My brother & uncle had them and did not like the at all. Tuff to steer and parts are pricy.

P.S Good luck with the wife, It was my wifes idea to buy this one
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
little sugestion

Default little sugestion

I was shopping for Kodiak 450 last summer. Took my wife for vacation to Washington state in August and came back with brand new quad, winch, helmet, back seat (retail here for 299.99) all for $6300.00 US. Our buck was close to 90cents US. No state sales tax only GST on the border as Yamaha ATVs are made in the US. What I have saved helped to pay for our vacations - wife is happy. Lost warranty (for US only) but its only 6 months and did not have any problems yet.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/...0/compare.aspx
Old 02-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Anglinfool

Default Re: brakes

Quote:
I am surprised about the brakes since they are the newer disc/hydraulic ones.
The brakes are really good as far as stopping you, they just wear fast. Good luck on your purchase!! Post a pic when you bring it home.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
BL

Default Permission granted

I will be picking up the brand new 06 Kodiak 450 this weekend. My wife totally understood. It is $8200. I will get new tires, and who knows? Thanks for all your replies. BL
Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Dewie

Default Re: Permission granted

I would check out toe 07 the differance in price for mine was only $300 just something to look at for resale.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
BL

Default Where

Dewie, where did you buy yours? Red Deer difference between the two was $500. BL
Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Dewie

Default Re: Where

I bought mine in Red Deer at red deer motor sports. Don't let the big guy fool you.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 PM
BL

Default He fooled me

Dewie, you must mean Red Deer Power sports, right? Well, he fooled me!!! He told me the 07's were $8700. I will be phoning the manager to see what is up. Thanks. BL
Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Dewie

Default Re: He fooled me

yes I paid $8700 with big tires and in camo. I would phone for sure I think the regular 07s are $8400. 100% positive