Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Do you recommend having the walking beams being able to complete a full revolution 360 deg with no stops installed
Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Do you guys recommend matching up width of trailer to the quad , im going to make center of gravity as good as I can , just wondering on width
Old 02-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
Do you guys recommend matching up width of trailer to the quad , im going to make center of gravity as good as I can , just wondering on width
Most of the TUB TRAILERS were desingned to be pull behind QUADS, tracking in the "SAME" Track is good, if the Quad will go so should the Trailer!!. I have just gone to the 4 major Walking Beam Tub Trailer manufactueres in the Edmonton surounding area, listed in 1-4 in pictures, 1 B & H Construction, Alder Flats, AB. 2 Barrhead Plastics LTD, Barrhead, AB. 3 Paddle Plastics Ltd, Mayerthorpe, AB. 4 Trail Mark Dist. Edmonton, AB. and non of them have the TOTAL (360D) walkover. One more thing, not all tandom axle are not WALKING BEAMS. Unless stated as such, Tamdom Axles have TWO Axles and will bounce where the single axle articulating Walking Beam does not.

Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b h.jpg (29.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg b p.jpg (36.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg p p.jpg (34.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg t r.jpg (36.7 KB, 136 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks alotfor all the info . what about hitches ive seen vertical ones with winch on top then back to the bike . Then the basic straight ones , whats better ,whats a decent length?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB RANGER 007 View Post
ldp, if you look at the posting #15 you will notice that Jim71duster's tub trailer, is a different shape, it was designed so that the W B'S could do a compleate walkover rotation as the design sugest, but they do not have to do this, stops can be installed to prevent this from happening. If you build a tub that sticks out over the wheels to stop this rotation you could jam or
damage the tub or the WB setup. Now, if you look at posting # 19. pic #2 total length is 31", pic's #3&4 show the 4 bolt X 4" holes at 6" sguare, #5 is the center of the Walking Beam at 15.5". now these mesuments are not written is stone, the 2 things that are important is that the stub axles are centred on the beam and that they are far enough apart for the wheels with the tires of your choice have enough room as not to touch. My Trailer is at my sons place so I cannot give you the exact measurement but my 2007 Polaris Ranger 6X6 has a C to C rear wheels of 27", the newer ones ar now C to C 29" , some thing in the back of my head tells me that the measurement of the Trail Mark Tub Trail W B is C to C 29".??? The wheel rims that you purchase can change how wide and how high they will stand. Caster Land has a good selection of 12" rims. 4"/4.5"W and othes??? I know this fron the problems that I ran into building my last W B T, the Alberta Trail Net have made some suggestions that new trails for curten ORV'S be set at 65" max, and with the tires I have on my W B at this time were to wide overall, but I had two wheels with tires that I had taken off my first quad pullbehind trailer that had the same tires that fit my PR but were narrower, turned out the rims were 4" wide, not as wide as the Quad/UTV rims.

I am in the St Albert area., if I can help you let me know.

The attached PC'S a of the Trail Mark Rhino W B T'S, I do not have any measurements for this set up. Different style, using heaver stub axle's 5 stud with 4.5" bolting.

Bruce.
My tub was not designed to do a complete walk over. It was designed to do a maximum articulation but if you take off a tire and flip the axle you can lower the center of gravity by 6 inches but it won't flip unless you take off a tire
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims71duster View Post
My tub was not designed to do a complete walk over. It was designed to do a maximum articulation but if you take off a tire and flip the axle you can lower the center of gravity by 6 inches but it won't flip unless you take off a tire
Thanks for that, I have seen this design shape before, and just though is was the same, I gess if you had smaller tires/wheels it might walk over if needed. Nice Unit. When you have time, could you please, post some pic's of the main axle with the W B attached, it would be intesting to see how you can gain/loose 6" by flipping the axles.

Bruce.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=leadpillproductions;2325835]Thanks alotfor all the info . what about hitches ive seen vertical ones with winch on top then back to the bike . Then the basic straight ones , whats better ,whats a decent length?[/QUOTE

If you look at post #18, pix #2 you will see that BCsteve used a different Hitch than I used, pix #1and2 this post. He desided to mod for his needs I used a copy of the M G T hitch witch is adjustable up or down as necessary, I also have the basic straight ones on both my W B T's Front and Back. The M G T's design allows the leading front of the trailer to stay up instead of digging in to edges going up or down sharp inclines, just like the large earth movers. The last 3 pix, this post are of the Trailer to Quad/UTV hitch up, can pivot to prevent twisting of the hitch parts and also keeps them from comming apart. The length is up to the rider, enough to clear for turning, too long is better than too short.

Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 013.jpg (102.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 014.jpg (56.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg SWIVEL HITCH 2.jpg (28.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg SWIVEL HITCH 1.jpg (28.6 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg SWIVEL HITCH 3.jpg (39.1 KB, 224 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 PM

can u explain this to me
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...2&d=1392605597
Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 PM

The red hitch in pic 5 is the part welded to a draw bar in pic 4. Pic four on the trailer receiver. Pic three in the quad latches to pic 4. Easy peezy.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM

I understand the square tubing attaches to quad , but how the heck lol does it attach to trailer side
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
The red hitch in pic 5 is the part welded to a draw bar in pic 4. Pic four on the trailer receiver. Pic three in the quad latches to pic 4. Easy peezy.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:11 PM

The 3,4 pics are a htch system. The 3 rd Pic is one end that will latch on to the 4 the picture. Both the trailer and the quad have a "trailer type 2 inch receiver". Maybe the poste rof the pics has a picture of the two latched together and I would make sense.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I understand the square tubing attaches to quad , but how the heck lol does it attach to trailer side
I do not have a picture of the finnished unit to-gether but Corry has the number correct. if I go out to my son's place to-morrow I will take some picks with a real comera, not a smarl one, and get back here later in day. The long square tube out in font of the attached pix of the trailer has been modified from a pin type hookup to work with this new hitch system.
Modiy for your Needs Not What Someone Else Thinks You Should Have. Make to work for you.

Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 013.jpg (102.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:57 PM

That would be great thanks , how do trailers with walking beams and say a swiveling hitch pull at higher speed or is it a slower process
Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
That would be great thanks , how do trailers with walking beams and say a swiveling hitch pull at higher speed or is it a slower process
Are you talking ATV/UTV speeds or automobile ???. the walking beam system is designed to be used on rough ground slow speeds, to give the best ride, if a wheel on one side goes over an object it doesnot efect the whole trailer. the swivel hitch systen also allows for the movement of the towing vehicle to move without to much of that movement to transfer to the trailer. Extream OFF Roaders use this type of hitch system when pulling trailers in the back country, but they use the highways to get there, The hitch system that I have is Pricy, most users of the Tub trailers do not feel that it is necessary, but S**t happens and if one is out in the middle of no-place, what do you do with a trailer full of goodies that you cannot pull because of a broken hitch coupler. The W B'S are used in the sand ares North of Ft McMurray, in the winter it is a road to Ft Chip, in the summer it is sand Trail/Road for ATV/UTV'S that take every thing they need for their stay, loaded, to the 10'S on trailers. they even wrap their beer cans so they donot get distroyed, Glass coolers in a ice box??? in the later part of the summer this Trail/Road becomes very rough, and most riders are in a hurry to get to the Largest Most Northerly Sand Dunes in the World, so Go Like Hell.
Do a search for Lock N Roll Trailer Hitches.

Later, Bruce.

Last edited by AB RANGER 007; 02-17-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 AM

atv speeds I don't plan on top speeds with atv but if trail is good can u clip on a desent speed ? I do like the idea of a hitch that swivels
Quote:
Are you talking ATV/UTV speeds or automobile ???. the walking beam system is designed to be used on rough ground slow speeds, to give the best ride, if a wheel on one side goes over an object it doesnot efect the whole trailer. the swivel hitch systen also allows for the movement of the towing vehicle to move without to much of that movement to transfer to the trailer. Extream OFF Roaders use this type of hitch system when pulling trailers in the back country, but they use the highways to get there, The hitch system that I have is Pricy, most users of the Tub trailers do not feel that it is necessary, but S**t happens and if one is out in the middle of no-place, what do you do with a trailer full of goodies that you cannot pull because of a broken hitch coupler. The W B'S are used in the sand ares North of Ft McMurray, in the winter it is a road to Ft Chip, in the summer it is sand Trail/Road for ATV/UTV'S that take every thing they need for their stay, loaded, to the 10'S on trailers. they even wrap their beer cans so they donot get distroyed, Glass coolers in a ice box??? in the later part of the summer this Trail/Road becomes very rough, and most riders are in a hurry to get to the Largest Most Northerly Sand Dunes in the World, so Go Like Hell.
Do a search for Lock N Roll Trailer Hitches.

Later, Bruce.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM

I don't like the idea of a swivel hitch. I"ve had mine almost tip many times and all that stopped it was the ball coupler. I have had them pop off the ball to. In the pic I posted that is 60km on some very steep very rough country. One 2km hill takes 2 quads (I towing the other hooked to the trailer) to haul a heavy loaded single axel trailer up. We towed it with a 700 Grizzly, it spun out on the loose rock, not under powered. Some deep holes and very tight trail through big timber. The tandem axel was too long to make it through we had to skid it around by hand, no fun. With the lids on the small trailers we can haul a lot of camp and meat.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:51 PM

when I do build walkin beam trailer it will be relitivly small compared to ones seen my quad is only 46 wide
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM

We find using the 2 smaller single axel better than one tandem axel. we can get out our whole camp and 1 moose with 2 quads and the 2 trailers. They are easier to haul as well. I stand mine up against the front of my trailer then drive my quad into it. I can't stand the tandem up on my own though.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:55 PM

I got one of the MUTS trailers it works great for hunting and up at the lake hauling gravel and dirt.

www.muts.ca
Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
We find using the 2 smaller single axel better than one tandem axel. we can get out our whole camp and 1 moose with 2 quads and the 2 trailers. They are easier to haul as well. I stand mine up against the front of my trailer then drive my quad into it. I can't stand the tandem up on my own though.
This is exactley why I have said, BUILD IT FOR YOUR NEEDS, NOT WHAT SOMONE ELSE THINKS YOU NEED. What works for you, Supply Ideas, then let the user deside what he/she needs. Picture #2 and #4 are the same WBT, #2 after Mods of #4. The hitch in pix#1 and #3 needs more the up/down ajustment on the front to make the trailer level. I was getting tired by this time.

Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Customized 2007 P R Fully Tracked & a W B T.jpg (55.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg No 1 W B T Coversion.jpg (50.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.JPG (67.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg W B PB TRAILER 1.jpg (79.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 PM

I like this design for a fully articulating coupler, just have to make my own that is good enough for the little trailer. I have a standard ball coupler now and its a pain in the keester.

I didn't bother with the walking beams, but my single works just fine for hauling wood and bears....and whole bull moose. It's carried 1000lbs of moose back to camp already with no issues...

Old 02-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I like this design for a fully articulating coupler, just have to make my own that is good enough for the little trailer. I have a standard ball coupler now and its a pain in the keester.

I didn't bother with the walking beams, but my single works just fine for hauling wood and bears....and whole bull moose. It's carried 1000lbs of moose back to camp already with no issues...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, that's my brother!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that, I have seen this design shape before, and just though is was the same, I gess if you had smaller tires/wheels it might walk over if needed. Nice Unit. When you have time, could you please, post some pic's of the main axle with the W B attached, it would be intesting to see how you can gain/loose 6" by flipping the axles.

Bruce.
Search my name in buy and sell I think they are already on there
Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Search my name in buy and sell I think they are already on there
Thanks again, found it. I gess they will all do it, provided there are no stops attached. I never though of it because the need for ground clearence. I also have a set of ski's for my unit, they are from a #1 attached picture, Snow Fox. I had a set Wheels modified and attached to the ski with a set of auto springs, they will attache to the pivot axle, have not used them yet.

Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (38.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (44.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, found it. I gess they will all do it, provided there are no stops attached. I never though of it because the need for ground clearence. I also have a set of ski's for my unit, they are from a #1 attached picture, Snow Fox. I had a set Wheels modified and attached to the ski with a set of auto springs, they will attache to the pivot axle, have not used them yet.

Bruce.
I never thought about ski's for mine until you mentioned it. I have tracks on my quad so that may be a very good accessory, I'm gunna look into that but may have a hard time finding a big enough ski but could always just make them I guess
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 AM

Ok has any built their own walking beams?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Ok has any built their own walking beams?
These are from Jims71duster Buy/Sell post of 10/07/2012, send him a PM???

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walking beam axles 1 Jims71duster.jpg (36.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Walking beam axles 2 Jims71duster.jpg (55.9 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by AB RANGER 007; 02-19-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I never thought about ski's for mine until you mentioned it. I have tracks on my quad so that may be a very good accessory, I'm gunna look into that but may have a hard time finding a big enough ski but could always just make them I guess
There is a dealer for the Snow Fox, tracked machine in Regina,SK, with connections to Calgary, AB. If you are talking about putting them on this Tub Trailer, just do the math . I am sure the would work with your design of the Walking Beam. If you would like to see the finnished ski's with the mods to the wheel rims, just ask, and I will dig them out of the snow and take some pix, no problem.

Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (44.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Jims71, Here are the pix.

All for now.
Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (44.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_S1.JPG (59.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_S2.JPG (56.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_S3.JPG (54.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_S4.JPG (71.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_S5.JPG (83.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_S6.JPG (78.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Jims71, Here are the pix.

All for now.
Bruce.
Is it possible to just drive the wheels into the factory framing and clamp them in