Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Default best smaller 4 x 4 for deep snow?

Thought Id ask , since I plan on moving to an acreage, I'll be needing to drive my son to high school in weather like we've had these past few weeks. I'd be willing to consider a good 4x4-or do people use chains on main roads etc when its bad? My car has great tires but its not 4 wheel drive.
any thoughts are welcome!
dont tell me to stay in the city its NOT happening
Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 PM

If you use chains get 2 sizes bigger or use grip tires. But chains would be best.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Jeep Rubicon, you can't beat it.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Banned

In most of Alberta I wouldn't think that you'd need chains if you have good tires on a 4x4. Something with a little weight and larger wheels would work great IMO. Maybe an SUV like a Ford Explorer would work for you. I prefer an F150 pick up.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

A jeep sounds good.

You won't need chains they are mostly for ice. A good set of winter tires should suffice.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM

jeep gets my vote too.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
A jeep sounds good.

You won't need chains they are mostly for ice. A good set of winter tires should suffice.
Jeep is my choice, always wanted one (oooh , hey santa!!!)...how is the rubicon better? I do love it but would like details?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Jeep is my choice, always wanted one (oooh , hey santa!!!)...how is the rubicon better? I do love it but would like details?
I don't and have never owned a jeep. Thy are known for their off-road capabilities. Rubicons are maybe overkill but your the one paying for it. I would get a grand Cherokee myself.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Are Edmontons streets in that bad of shape that people need 4x4 with tire chains to get the kids to school? lol

I live on an acerage, I think with any 4x4 you'll be fine. My cousin has made it to my place before the grader hit the road in his all wheel drive fusion
Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Cool

90's jimmy/blasers. Nissan Pathfinders. Most small jeeps (not keen on the liberty very rough ride but good in snow). Mazda mpv . Older 4runners , the thing these all have in common is excellent mass to size ratio ,small well balanced platforms with central mass . And to a piont will drive on top of snow other heavy 4×4's will break thru.land rover /range rover are also great but a little rare and tricky to keep on the road mechanically.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:28 PM

I love my new jeep wrangler sport. Can't believe how much snow it goes through.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Are Edmontons streets in that bad of shape that people need 4x4 with tire chains to get the kids to school? lol
like I said moving out to an acreage! But my son will be going to school in the city. I like the Jeep Patriot-my mother drives one, OR maybe I'll just get sled dogs to pull my toyota
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

Not sure of your price range, but the best little 4x4 for deep snow I know of is a Lada Niva, and the heater works good too. Unfortunately they don't import them in anymore, and they are harder to find than hen's teeth now, and unless you are mechanically inclined, a pain to keep running.

Jeep Cherokees are not too bad either, and better on the highway. I would look for a vehicle with a longer wheelbase if you will be driving much on the highway. Lots around for nearly any price range.

We have a long wheelbase trailblazer that seats 7, and it is pretty good in the snow, but it is a hog on gas.

I have heard lots of good things about the Suzuki XL7, and it is relatively large for a small 4x4. I had a Samurai, and it was an awesome 4x4, but terrible on the highway. I nearly rolled it on a wet off-ramp due to the short wheelbase.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
90's jimmy/blasers. Nissan Pathfinders. Most small jeeps (not keen on the liberty very rough ride but good in snow). Mazda mpv . Older 4runners , the thing these all have in common is excellent mass to size ratio ,small well balanced platforms with central mass . And to a piont will drive on top of snow other heavy 4×4's will break thru.land rover /range rover are also great but a little rare and tricky to keep on the road mechanically.
Fully agree about the British cars. Worst vehicle I ever owned was a Land Rover Discovery. However my classic Range Rover was pretty good if you drove it all the time. Park it for any time, and it would just break down.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Jeep are so cute, Barbie has one too. lol! If you want a good smaller 4x4, look no further than a Toyota Tacoma.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 PM

Midsized pickup? Lots of Rangers and Canyon/Colorado/S10 4x4s out there for cheap.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
Jeep are so cute, Barbie has one too. lol! If you want a good smaller 4x4, look no further than a Toyota Tacoma.
I have a 4x4 Chevy 350 5 speed. That thing eats up snow like a fat lady does to a bag of Doritos. Last snowfall I helped a young man in a Tacoma out of the ditch, it was cute.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
Midsized pickup? Lots of Rangers and Canyon/Colorado/S10 4x4s out there for cheap.
And for a reason they are junk.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 PM

Just use these on your 4X4 and have fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZruohbsDHQ

David
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 PM

I drive a Canyon 4x4 and have no problem in any kind of winter driving.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:00 PM

It's all in the tires.

A good set of studded winters, on pretty much anything, and you're golden.

I've lived on an acreage outside of edmonton for 14 years now. I work downtown edmonton, shift work, so day shift drives and home after night shifts are usually before any plowing. I got stuck once in my Toyota Echo, because it was so light it rode up on the snow and I lost traction. My Mazda is heavier, and I've not had a problem with it at all.

My acreage truck is a 92 chev 4x4 x-cab long box with studded winters. Drives awesome. My girlfriend has a 4x4 taco, no studs and one can really tell the difference.

Just drive according to the road, and assume there are suicidal deer/moose everywhere, ready to jump out in front of you.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 PM

This last storm left huge drifts on my road. The first three of us down the road were driving loader tractors wiith front wheel assist. That opened up for the 4x4s. There will be some instances when staying home would be your best bet. My 4x4 is a 91Dodge Cummins 3/4ton with 1200 lbs of logs in the back and good tires.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
This last storm left huge drifts on my road. The first three of us down the road were driving loader tractors wiith front wheel assist. That opened up for the 4x4s. There will be some instances when staying home would be your best bet. My 4x4 is a 91Dodge Cummins 3/4ton with 1200 lbs of logs in the back and good tires.
Ha! I mentioned being occasionally snowed in to my son, of course he liked the idea lol.
Thanks for all the tips, If I can afford it, a basic 4 x 4 with studded tires sounds like a winter vehicle to have. I of course drive an echo but at least I can push it out of a drift as its so light but not something I want to deal with on a regular basis-its funny as ..... when Im ice fishing.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:47 AM

My 2004 Dakota 4 door, 4 X 4 is pretty good with studed winters on it.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:20 AM

I'm loving my Toyota FJ Cruiser. 11" clearance, full time 4x4, locking centre diff, locking rear diff.

I carry a couple shovels and traction mats. When it is stuck, it takes some effort to get it unstuck.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:45 AM

My acreage was outside of High River and the access from the road was about 250 yards- quite winding and very subject to drifts.

At the time I commuted into Calgary every day in my 2002 Honda CRV.
4 CYL realtime AWD 5 spd manual,
I was running Toyo GO2'S in the winter.

It was reliable, economical( 9 l per 100km) and gave me tremendous peace of mind
Also has a great heater

Last edited by omega50; 12-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Drive train on the Rubicons is totally different than the Sport's or Sahara's. Dana 44 axels, 4 whl diff lock, hd transfer case, etc......

However......the Sports and Sahara's do great. The Rubi's are off-road serious right from the factory. Over-kill for most drivers.

That being said, I'm on my 3rd Rubicon Unlimited and LOVE EM....
Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 AM

Any 4x4 with weigh in the box will do.... If you need more than that, it might be time to buy a grader! lol
Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 AM

4 door Jeep Wrangler JK. Great in the snow and good cargo room for 3 whitetail plus all the gear....

Old 12-09-2013, 08:20 AM

I have a 250m driveway. You definatly need a 4x4. But that's my wife's 1/2 ton. I get to drive the rugged strawberry Toyota yaris as my daily driver. Definatly need to be prepared, good tires, I've parked at the road in preparation for big storms. Got snowed in once last year for a couple days. (was nothings 4x4 helped with) A few days I took the truck. But can't (I don't want to) afford to drive the truck every day!