Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 PM

Default Woodpeckers

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/stat...370237955?s=21

Short video.
Plus some pics.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-03-2021, 07:17 AM

I have a lot of old timber around my place, therefore woodpeckers are common. I have seen all but a couple mountain species, from Downy to Pileated! Now that the suet is out, the Downys are a constant presence. Nice pictures, nevertheless.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
I have a lot of old timber around my place, therefore woodpeckers are common. I have seen all but a couple mountain species, from Downy to Pileated! Now that the suet is out, the Downys are a constant presence. Nice pictures, nevertheless.
I have a lot of tin sheds around my place, therefore woodpeckers are common...
Old 12-03-2021, 07:39 AM

I love the peckers! I’ll have an average of 4-8+ Downy’s at all times of the day, a pair of Hairy’s about every 1.5 hours and a pair of Pileated’s about every 45 minutes. I also get a Northern Flicker a few times a day, 4+ blue jays every 1.5 hours, million Chickadee’s, red breasted nuthatches and white breasted nuthatches constantly at the feeders.
I’ve got lots of feeders up outside my front window. It’s a real pleasure to watch them. One main feeder I’ve set up 12’ from my big window with my recliner sitting there, 11’ in the minimum focus distance of my big telephoto lens.
I think the flying little pigs are costing me $200+ a month to keep up with on suet and black oiled sunflower seeds though!

Nice photos and video. Set up some feeders and enjoy them from your house on the long cold winter days.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:44 AM

Wood peckers are the bane of my existence. I don't live far from the OP and I have for years been fighting with the Northern Flicker. I have patched the same damned hole in the exact same area of my cedar siding house for 15 years. There is no reason for them to be poking holes there. I have no bugs in the siding, that I have seen, theres nothing specific attractign them other than its cedar.
I've tried everything. Replacing pieces of siding or covering the holes with metal plates, all kinds of decoys. Years ago we put a new coat of paint on the house and they didn't bother us for s couple seasons, then, one day, there it was again. That F'in tap tap tapping. Nothing works.
It's literally been the exact same damned spot on my house for years.

I'd kill every single one of them if I could, but for some stupid reason they are protected. Why protect something that is absolutely everywhere in the city now, and is a problem maker.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:05 AM

I like most birds but get annoyed when wood peckers dig holes in my cedar shakes on my home. My wife keeps buying soot blocks, she says to keep them away from house. Now we have twice as many of the little suckers.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
Wood peckers are the bane of my existence. I don't live far from the OP and I have for years been fighting with the Northern Flicker. I have patched the same damned hole in the exact same area of my cedar siding house for 15 years. There is no reason for them to be poking holes there. I have no bugs in the siding, that I have seen, theres nothing specific attractign them other than its cedar.
I've tried everything. Replacing pieces of siding or covering the holes with metal plates, all kinds of decoys. Years ago we put a new coat of paint on the house and they didn't bother us for s couple seasons, then, one day, there it was again. That F'in tap tap tapping. Nothing works.
It's literally been the exact same damned spot on my house for years.

I'd kill every single one of them if I could, but for some stupid reason they are protected. Why protect something that is absolutely everywhere in the city now, and is a problem maker.
There is a house on the lake here with a ton of flicker holes that have never been repaired. Crazy what kind of damage is happening. Now I see sparrows nesting in the wall house.

Every spring you here the flickers banging on tin roof parts.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-03-2021, 11:55 AM

I actually spotted what I think was a black backed woodpecker a few days ago, in a friend's grazing lease. Yellow patch on the top of the head, working on some fallen spruce trees.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-03-2021, 09:44 PM

Default The Merlins

Also love I put deer suet out for the woodpeckers,chickadees and nuthatches.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:10 PM

Posted these in the past .... cute little guys that hang around, that hate my owl.

D.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Posted these in the past .... cute little guys that hang around, that hate my owl.

D.

Lol. Looks like a hole in the owl.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Lol. Looks like a hole in the owl.

Yup, took them about a week .... they drilled it.

This one keeps hammering away at my Birdie Log House.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:37 AM

Default how about this?

I awoke one morning to a loud drum solo.Couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from.I had a large male flicker on my aluminum chimney this spring charming the neighbourhood girl flickers like a rock star.I guess the acoustics set him apart! Hilarious. I saw this once before at our cottage with a woodpecker in the poring rain.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I awoke one morning to a loud drum solo.Couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from.I had a large male flicker on my aluminum chimney this spring charming the neighbourhood girl flickers like a rock star.I guess the acoustics set him apart! Hilarious. I saw this once before at our cottage with a woodpecker in the poring rain.
Yup, for a few weeks in the spring male Flickers LOVE the aluminum housing on the street lights out front.
Male Pileated visited the wood power pole at my place regularly for the last 5-6 years, he never did find a mate. Sadly he didn't show this spring, he was replaced with a Hairy Pecker though, feisty little bugger.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:34 AM

Some more, all from the farm:
Male Downy

Male Hairy

Male Yellow Flicker

Male Red Flicker

Male Yellow Beliy

Female Three Toe

Male Pileated
Old 12-04-2021, 10:10 AM

Guys still offering a award for anyone that can solve problem of them poking holes in Cedar shakes.