Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
iNTERESTING VIDEO 6.5 shooter, interesting that he said the Trager offers better heat distribution hey?
The fire box is centered on Traeger and offset on the LG that’s the difference. The Traeger still has hot spots too. The very edges are hotter than the middle. No big deal doing say one chicken. But with a dozen racks of ribs you still need to move things around. Also if you get a Traeger ironwood or timberline with the oval barrel and the aero foils inside the convection action has the smoke rolling over hitting your meat 3 times before exiting. I wish my old girl had the features of these new grills. Is it bad to want your old Traeger to finally die?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:19 PM

I bought a GMG ledge just before rifle season. Haven’t used it yet but Calgary has a couple local dealers that are great to deal with, and will take care of you if you have any issues or questions. Check out back country grills. Desk out of Okotoks and Calgary.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
No you won’t. I can’t tell it to you in any plainer or simpler words. It will become your absolute go to grill. Or you are the 1 in 50 that isn’t.

Any major mfg of pellet grille would do. I’d be Leary of a Coleman or a kitchen aid or whatever. They could be great but try and find a part 2 years from now. You call Traeger on a Sunday at 4 AM and somebody answers and helps you figure out a problem. Louisiana grills is the same. All the majors are I am fairly certain. My Traeger is 12+ years old and I still can get parts for it. I haven’t needed to but I can.

I’d up your budget a bit if this truly is the last smoker you want to buy. I would look for double wall construction and Bluetooth as a must. Something like a Traeger ironwood. Or the GMG, Louisiana grills equivalent. You won’t regret it. Not only do they hold more consistent heat but they burn less pounds of pellets per hour.

If you choose to try and keep the budget low all the smokers have a winter insulation kit. The one I bought with my Traeger 12+ years ago works fine and comes on and off in about 1 minute. I’ve had it at 417f in -39C.
You are problably correct about that, my question is how do you get Flames with a wood pellet smoker?

Also amazing how times have changed hey, when I was in my 20's I could buy a decent car for $1,000.00, now you can not ever buy a great smoker lol
Old 12-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
You are problably correct about that, my question is how do you get Flames with a wood pellet smoker?

Also amazing how times have changed hey, when I was in my 20's I could buy a decent car for $1,000.00, now you can not ever buy a great smoker lol
I can remove my diffuser in the Traeger and cook over the firebox, but honestly once you discover a reverse seared steak you won’t ever worry about it again.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:43 PM
Banned

Never tried that method before, I checked it out pretty good description here. Thanks for the cooking tip

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-r...-to-cook-steak
Old 12-01-2021, 02:17 PM

I have a Pit Boss pellet grill. One of the bigger ones. Smokes terrific food for a lazy chef.

I do frequently use my gas weber when I don't have much time, which is often. 15 minutes from startup to eating, with minimal maintenance is a plus. Winter I don't smoke often, not because of the cold (I find smoker keeps temp well, although I did order myself an insulated blanket for Christmas in case of sub -20), but because of time constraints and pitch black at 4:30.

I would like to use pellet grill more, but kids eat at 5:30, which is when I finish work. In summer, unit runs any Saturday or Sunday I am home, all day. Will smoke extra pork, beef, etc, to cut up for sandwich meat for the next few weeks. All sorts of uses, although I stick with my second hand Bradley smoker for jerky and sausages. Hoping we have mild January/February and will like smoke most of both deer I was blessed with this year as jerky, sausage, cold cuts, and more on my pellet grill.

Cant go wrong with any of the brands. Some models are better than others, do some research. My dad has a GMG and Lousianna Grill at his rec properties, and a Traeger at his house. I have Pit Boss, brother with Traeger, they all do same job pretty equal. Just my opinion.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:19 PM

I did forget to mention, Pit boss has an opening flame plate, which works better to sear and grill direct than any method I have tried on a Traeger. Has handle on outside of smoker to adjust. Limited experience with Traeger.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
I did forget to mention, Pit boss has an opening flame plate, which works better to sear and grill direct than any method I have tried on a Traeger. Has handle on outside of smoker to adjust. Limited experience with Traeger.
Which model do you have?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Which model do you have?

Pit Boss Sportsman 1100

Bought a few years back, had a buddy who was able to get me a deal through work for around $750-$800 I think. Looks like $999.99 now. If I had to go do it again, I would buy a smaller unit, around the 800 size, as my kids are 1 and 3, with third on the way, and don't eat much of what I cook, if any of it. So mostly cooking for my wife and myself unless we entertain. Smaller would be better, and I would've gotten a bigger one when kids are older, and hopefully brought the smaller unit to a rec property if I could ever afford it. I don't think even when feeding 20 people I have used the whole grill.

https://pitboss-grills.ca/products/p...d-pellet-grill

One of my coworkers bought a Pitboss Austin XL from Walmart in the US. I picked it up for him in Great Falls 2 years ago right before covid hit. I think he's used it almost 200 times, barely cleans it and runs great. That is same size as what I have, was priced at $500 US at the time, came to $675 I think in CAD after exchange at that time.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:10 PM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-...robe/793230399

Thats what he bought. Looks like they still have them at $450 US in certain stores. If border wasn't closed when I bought mine, would've gone for that instead.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-...robe/793230399

Thats what he bought. Looks like they still have them at $450 US in certain stores. If border wasn't closed when I bought mine, would've gone for that instead.
That looks great for that price, Thanks Dylan15!
Old 12-01-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
That looks great for that price, Thanks Dylan15!
You bet. Like I said, coworker runs his all the time and has been very happy with his. Everything seems identical in build quality to the one I have, just different style. I haven't seen many Traegers on sale, I think Costco has them, but I spend exactly 15 minutes in that store once every 2 years when my wife convinces me to go with. I bought mine at a local coop hardware store. Big part of the reason I went with pit boss was the opening flame plate, but wifi in the Traeger would be nice to put meat on during lunch break to monitor smoker temp and such. Different perks on either
Old 12-02-2021, 09:09 AM

Whether you get a fancy one or a cheap one, there is a lot of good info out there if you care to wade thru it, major thing is the method of controlling heat if you want heat for the task at hand. For myself, I decided on a Big Chief and a couple of mods to the heat source, and some insulation to keep it in as req'd, as I already have a barbeque if I want to use that to finish things. I waded thru it all for a few hrs, then I came to the conclusion that the bulk of the smokers were just an expensive, but pretty container, for the smoke. Appeared there were a lot of issues with the heat controls of various types that are used on them, just as easy to rig up some of my own, that are easy to service or replace. I have the time to play with it, and I'll learn about whatever I don't know about the finer points, in the process.
Some of these vids helped sort it out for me;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OuOZulHUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2ISLFEMew
Old 12-03-2021, 08:19 AM

I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I have done 3 elk worth of smokies, pepperoni and jerky with it. Last week I did my first brisket with it and it turned out great. I picked it up 4 years ago on sale for around $300 and have been very pleased with its performance. I know that pellet smokers are all the rage but I'm saving my money for now

Also i added the ability to monitor temperature from my phone by buying a bluetooth thermometer from Amazon for $40 and it works great
Old 12-03-2021, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I have done 3 elk worth of smokies, pepperoni and jerky with it. Last week I did my first brisket with it and it turned out great. I picked it up 4 years ago on sale for around $300 and have been very pleased with its performance. I know that pellet smokers are all the rage but I'm saving my money for now

Also i added the ability to monitor temperature from my phone by buying a bluetooth thermometer from Amazon for $40 and it works great
Sorry for the stupid question, but if it does not use pellets what are you using and how does it smoke? Can you send me a link of the one you are using?

My mission is to get a cost-effective smoker without breaking the bank. Hard to beat elk smokies!

Cheers -N40
Old 12-03-2021, 01:13 PM

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/15010...moker-w-window

The one i have is similar to this and you use wood chips with it. I just re-read some of this thread and there is no way you would get a turkey in it
Old 12-03-2021, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

The one i have is similar to this and you use wood chips with it. I just re-read some of this thread and there is no way you would get a turkey in it
Too bad I love the price, they most likely sell bigger units that can do a turkey for a reasonable price as well, more homework to do that's for sure!

I have time to do the research because, at the price these things are selling for, I will be better off buying one on boxing day.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers N40

Last edited by North40Rules; 12-03-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Too bad I love the price, they most likely sell bigger units that can do a turkey for a reasonable price as well, more homework to do that's for sure!

I have time to do the research because, at the price these things are selling for, I will be better off buying one on boxing day.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers N40
Have a look on Kijij and Facebook Marketplace Lots of good deals and save $$$

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Whether you get a fancy one or a cheap one, there is a lot of good info out there if you care to wade thru it, major thing is the method of controlling heat if you want heat for the task at hand. For myself, I decided on a Big Chief and a couple of mods to the heat source, and some insulation to keep it in as req'd, as I already have a barbeque if I want to use that to finish things. I waded thru it all for a few hrs, then I came to the conclusion that the bulk of the smokers were just an expensive, but pretty container, for the smoke. Appeared there were a lot of issues with the heat controls of various types that are used on them, just as easy to rig up some of my own, that are easy to service or replace. I have the time to play with it, and I'll learn about whatever I don't know about the finer points, in the process.
Some of these vids helped sort it out for me;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OuOZulHUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2ISLFEMew

I can really appreciate this concept. Of all the very best bbq that comes out of the south I’ll bet that not very damn many folks have bought a bbq from someone else. All cobbled together equipment that’s made to do what the cook wants it I do.

My smoker is a surplus oven that came out of a government lab with some rebar to hang my sausages on. I use a cast iron Dutch oven with the lid askew for the heat and smoke and never have used chips or pellets. I use whole pieces of wood that buddy from the cabinet shop saves for me and I’ve made some pretty nice food.

There’s really no reason to use expensive chips. Even in a bbq I just wrap my piece of maple, oak etc. in tin foil so it won’t flame up and toss it over the burner flame.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I can really appreciate this concept. Of all the very best bbq that comes out of the south I’ll bet that not very damn many folks have bought a bbq from someone else. All cobbled together equipment that’s made to do what the cook wants it I do.

My smoker is a surplus oven that came out of a government lab with some rebar to hang my sausages on. I use a cast iron Dutch oven with the lid askew for the heat and smoke and never have used chips or pellets. I use whole pieces of wood that buddy from the cabinet shop saves for me and I’ve made some pretty nice food.

There’s really no reason to use expensive chips. Even in a bbq I just wrap my piece of maple, oak etc. in tin foil so it won’t flame up and toss it over the burner flame.
The homemade smokers are pretty awesome. One of my friends owns an acrage and the first time I had smoked turkey was at his farm.

This is what he has: He took a 45-gallon drum and cut the top off and fitted it with a grill, at the bottom, he cut a square piece out. Then he had another 45-gallon drum and cut it as a lid using the base as the cover. When he smoked his turkey he used White Willow from his farm and after he got a fire going he smoldered the willow branches. He also injected his bird with Mortons Tender Quick. Best turkey I have ever had!

Farmers are great at ingenuity!

Cheers N40
Old 12-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I think I am going to disagree with you.

I went out and measured mine, about 30" tall, 15" wide, 19" on the diagonal.

How big a turkey are you talking about?
Old 12-03-2021, 06:03 PM

Default blowing smoke

i would go with a rectec 590. Currently using a louisiana tailgate model that is from back when they were made in Canada, the new ones are made in china i believe. I have some friends that bought one recently, had it on their porch may-oct and it was covered in surface rust so they might not be built like they used to. That being said.. if i won the lottery i would get one of these: https://blackearthgrills.com/
Old 12-03-2021, 08:23 PM

Default Build yourself one

I built one myself, an offset wood fired smoker and i gotta say its pretty kick ass, holds heat real good as the pipe i use is anywhere from 3/8 to 1/2" thick depending on what i can get my hands on. Ive built a few for some people.
now using a stick burner is not for every one, but the wood is cheap and you get the best smoke! but you gotta baby sit it a bit.
here is a video to the build, oh and feel free to remove this post if its not allowed.
https://youtu.be/RIQmnJt46CU
Old 12-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannankl View Post
i would go with a rectec 590. Currently using a louisiana tailgate model that is from back when they were made in Canada, the new ones are made in china i believe. I have some friends that bought one recently, had it on their porch may-oct and it was covered in surface rust so they might not be built like they used to. That being said.. if i won the lottery i would get one of these: https://blackearthgrills.com/
Best Smoker for < $1,000.00