Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Perhaps you can't read or your comprehension is just really low??

I'M NOT RETURNING THE ITEM

I am taking it back due to the government mandated recall, as is every other of the 67,999 units.

It's ILLEGAL to do anything else with it.

it's not 40% of value??? The replacement unit is $139.99

The recall is CLEARLY marked out on the CTC website, as well as health Canada etc.

The store offered me 40% of the RECALL value or 29% of the replacement value. But the corporate policy is $99.99not $39.99, again not coming out of the stores pocket I'm sure!!! I didn't set the value, they did.

I cannot replace the unit for $99.99, not even close.

Wanna plug it in at your house and roll the dice? You ok with your family sleeping with that thing running??

So you put something on the internet for people to read and if the response is not what you want your go to is your o say I’m to stupid to understand what I just read, real classy, I never said use it or even implied you should, never mind you suggesting I hurt my family by using it. You are taking it back to the store attempting to give it back to them for the money you paid for it with no proof of what that amount was, your returning it by definition. The only point I made was that without a receipt they will give you the lowest sale price that they had it on for, how you took that to me endangering my family with your heater is something real special in itself. I comprehend just fine and realize you have no idea how business works and want to yell and stamp your feet because you don’t understand business. I don’t care what you do with your heater but it’s not Canadian tires fault that they don’t trust an emotional wreck about what he paid for the heater based on your word alone. The world is full of people who cannot be trusted and bend the truth, case in point, I just met another one on AO
Old 04-28-2021, 12:15 PM

I know it is only 60 bucks BUT I have never taken kindly to anyone trying to screw me over and I see no reason the OP should either. Going after people that try to do me over is not stressful, I actually enjoy teaching them that you can't just abuse everyone and expect we will all take it. Many will allow it but not all of us.

CT can have whatever reasons it wants to and set its return policies as they like. It is up to you to decide as a customer if you will buy under those terms and conditions. Their ability to set those types of rules however ends when the item becomes a Federal recall. The recall now takes precedence over the CT policies, whether CT likes it or not.

If the OP could find his Visa statement showing the purchase, and these are available online from most banks for 6 years, that would solve his issue. However, even if he can't, this is what it says on the CTC website

Quote:
What you should do

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled product and return it to the place of purchase for store credit or to obtain a replacement unit. Proof of purchase is not required.
For more information, consumers may contact H.E. Industrial Ltd. by email.
Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.
Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
This recall is also posted on the OECD Global Portal on Product Recalls website. You can visit this site for more information on other international consumer product recalls.
Since Canadian Tire Corporate has already set the refund price at 99.99 without a receipt then the store is obligated to abide by that. Problem is, the stores are all individually owned and there is a HUGE difference in service levels. There is one here in Edmonton on 97 St and 153 Ave that is absolutely terrible. They break all kinds of CT policies and Canadian Tire never seems to do anything about it, even when there are hundreds of complaints on Google and direct to head office.

So my take, no way in hell would I drive 4 hours to get a refund, the gas costs more than you get back. I would go into the store and insist on talking to the franchise owner. If he would not give me satisfaction I would clearly tell him I am going to escalate this and file formal complaints with the Feds and I would file complaints with the Sask version of the Consumer protection branch. Rate the store on Google, Facebook if the store has a page and file a formal complaint with the Better Business bureau. All of these are free to do and don't even take very long. His cost to just respond to the paper work on these complaints is going to cost him way more than $100 bucks. If there is any evidence of workplace safety issues, or health issues, failure to follow Covid protocols in the store there is also the ability to call Occupational Health and Safety, or the Covid enforcement team.
Might never get my extra $60 bucks back but I would definitely make their life miserable for quite a while, just for the satisfaction of it. If you mess with the bull, you will get the horn. I would also never buy another thing from that CT. There is always mail order from another one nearby. Best of luck to the OP.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-28-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:26 PM
Banned

I’m a manager of a retail outlet.
The one thing that will put you out of business is poor customer service.
If you try to return something without a receipt you will get store credit.
But in a warranty issue like this they would get a refund for whatever regular price is. With warranty claims the store is going to get a replacement or credit from the manufacturer for whatever their cost is...so in a scenario as described the ‘we’ll give the lowest sakes price’ is bull crap.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I’m a manager of a retail outlet.
The one thing that will put you out of business is poor customer service.
If you try to return something without a receipt you will get store credit.
But in a warranty issue like this they would get a refund for whatever regular price is. With warranty claims the store is going to get a replacement or credit from the manufacturer for whatever their cost is...so in a scenario as described the ‘we’ll give the lowest sakes price’ is bull crap.
THIS all day long.
Well said.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....