Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 11:39 AM

Default Prageru

Is there a following of PRAGERU here? It’s not politics......it’s critical thinking. Words and understanding are important to us. I respect the wisdom that comes out of this organization.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Is there a following of PRAGERU here? It’s not politics......it’s critical thinking. Words and understanding are important to us. I respect the wisdom that comes out of this organization.
Of course being that it's considered untrustworthy and a very strong conservative bias...should fit right in here https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/?s=PragerU
Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 PM

Because a Conservative bias is absolutely not as trustworthy as a liberal bias. I like PragerU myself. But that's my bias. I like listening to intelligent people who use facts and reason and logic. As opposed to fantasy, feelings, and perpetual victimhood.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-27-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Because a Conservative bias is absolutely not as trustworthy as a liberal bias. I like PragerU myself. But that's my bias. I like listening to intelligent people who use facts and reason and logic. As opposed to fantasy, feelings, and perpetual victimhood.
And you are still here, beyond logic LOL
JK
WDF
Old 04-27-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
And you are still here, beyond logic LOL
JK
WDF
But, you will notice I stay right away from the Covid and Politics thread. And for the most part any topic that is bound to devolve into a mud sling. I don't have the energy I used to.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Banned

Personally if you like there bent...have at 'er.
Just don't think it is in anyway trustworthy. Neither good nor bad...it just is what it is.
I'm also just as skeptical of CNN on the other side of the political spectrum.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:41 PM

'Their bent'.... No bias there, eh Bob?

Neither good nor bad? I dunno. I look at a guy like Thomas Sowell, and listen to what he has to say in an interview, and I think it's a pretty remarkable and intelligent 'bent'.

But that's just me.

So tell me Bob, what is 'trustworthy' in your estimation?

https://youtu.be/2ZPXhLb-eW0

Old 04-27-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
You could be regular contributor. Great response
Old 04-27-2021, 01:04 PM

Old 04-27-2021, 02:48 PM

How come only Right Wing biases get tagged ?

Grizz
Old 04-27-2021, 03:11 PM

I have a serious question about that website and others.

I'll begin by saying that I have a couple of friends and relatives who are dyslexic. I know a couple others who have vision problems. I have vision problems that might deteriorate in the future. I know a number of people for whom English is a second or third language.

Apart from that, most people can read at least one and half times as fast as people speak or hear. That is why I prefer to read material, when I can, rather than watch videos. I rarely watch television or You Tube news. Instead I go to AP, Reuters, CTV, even Fox, CBC or CNN on the internet, as examples.

Of course, there is the additional factor of the amount of time wasted in video material by long-winded introductions, advertising and so on.

Why do so many people here prefer videos to written material?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
'Their bent'.... No bias there, eh Bob?

Neither good nor bad? I dunno. I look at a guy like Thomas Sowell, and listen to what he has to say in an interview, and I think it's a pretty remarkable and intelligent 'bent'.

But that's just me.

So tell me Bob, what is 'trustworthy' in your estimation?

https://youtu.be/2ZPXhLb-eW0
Reuters, Associated Press and BBC are considered to be amongst the most trusted and unbiased news sources because they report facts and interviews and let the viewer draw their own conclusions.
Most mainstream outlets, and especially news sources on social media are thin on facts and heavy on editorial bias...and this can be left or right.
This is because the majority of people don’t want to really think...but want a news source that tells them what they should feel and how they should think.
Using the sources I supplied means you will have to study an issue and maybe (God forbid) READ A BOOK.
A lost art for most people these days.
Thomas Sowell...is an intelligent, articulate man...with a definite conservative bias. So if all you do is listen to someone like him and agree wholeheartedly with him, without looking at opposing views or studying the history behind what he is saying you are guilty of what many are... just finding people who agree with your thinking and letting it go at that, rather than trying to find out the answers for yourself.

Last edited by bobtodrick; 04-27-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:49 PM

Thats a good answer Bob, and I agree with you. I like Reuters and AP a lot, BBC not as much but still good. And reading lots of books is good, especially if they challenge your own notions. Sometimes I even change my mind on things.

Thomas Sowell is very conservative, but that isn't automatically a negative thing. Frankly, he is super intelligent, and is always one to make a strong argument for the positions he takes. There are others like him. Occasionally I will listen to someone with a more left leaning 'bent' but generally find myself having a harder time to agree with that position. Notice I didn't say Liberal, I said left. Liberalism in the classic sense I can totally get along with, but most people don't even understand what that means now. Hard to blame people when they associate a dunce like Trudeau with 'liberal', not understanding the older classical sense, only the modern social liberal definition.

A little primer for those who would like to know what classic liberalism is:

https://www.thoughtco.com/classical-...nition-4774941

Anyway, good answer Bob.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 04-27-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thats a good answer Bob, and I agree with you. I like Reuters and AP a lot, BBC not as much but still good. And reading lots of books is good, especially if they challenge your own notions. Sometimes I even change my mind on things.

Thomas Sowell is very conservative, but that isn't automatically a negative thing. Frankly, he is super intelligent, and is always one to make a strong argument for the positions he takes. There are others like him. Occasionally I will listen to someone with a more left leaning 'bent' but generally find myself having a harder time to agree with that position. Notice I didn't say Liberal, I said left. Liberalism in the classic sense I can totally get along with, but most people don't even understand what that means now. Hard to blame people when they associate a dunce like Trudeau with 'liberal', not understanding the older classical sense, only the modern social liberal definition.

Anyway, good answer Bob.
Couple of things.
I completely agree with you. I consider myself a classical liberal... but as you say in today’s world that is nearly non-existent...and a lot of that has to do with (IMO) the media that now wants to classify you as either left or right... a well rounded centrist, whether Liberal or Conservative just doesn’t make good headlines.
And I do believe there are intelligent, well spoken people (such as Sowell) on either side of the political spectrum. And even though every individual is going to lean at least a bit in one direction or the other, they owe it to themselves to at least attempt to see what the other side is about.
There’s good on both sides.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Couple of things.
I completely agree with you. I consider myself a classical liberal... but as you say in today’s world that is nearly non-existent...and a lot of that has to do with (IMO) the media that now wants to classify you as either left or right... a well rounded centrist, whether Liberal or Conservative just doesn’t make good headlines.
And I do believe there are intelligent, well spoken people (such as Sowell) on either side of the political spectrum. And even though every individual is going to lean at least a bit in one direction or the other, they owe it to themselves to at least attempt to see what the other side is about.
There’s good on both sides.
Great post, Bob.

Moderation and open mindedness are virtues.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:15 PM

Yes. I find that a moderate classical liberal outlook is a place where conversations and exchanges of ideas can happen. And that is a rarity now it seems like. There is so much polarization, and people being pushed into more ideologically extreme stances. A lot of it is a reaction to their opposite numbers with opposing views, a ramping up of animosity and antagonism.

Also, moderation and open mindedness are seen as weakness it seems like. Your ideological purity is then questioned. I personally think a person can maintain their values just fine while still being open minded. That doesn't mean that you are constantly changing your mind either, but at least you are open to the idea of changing your mind. I do tend to fall on the more 'conservative' side of the spectrum for sure, and a lot that is going on in our culture today is anathema to me. I don't care for the victim and grievance culture, the gender and race politics, critical race theory, and the idea that government is obligated to take care of us as an all encompassing nanny state. And honestly, I have yet to have an intelligent conversation with anybody who is steeped in those cultish ideologies. You can add climate alarmism to that list. Not even going to touch the Covid thing.

But maybe someday I will be surprised and somebody intelligent can get me to listen to them on those topics.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 04-27-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I have a serious question about that website and others.

I'll begin by saying that I have a couple of friends and relatives who are dyslexic. I know a couple others who have vision problems. I have vision problems that might deteriorate in the future. I know a number of people for whom English is a second or third language.

Apart from that, most people can read at least one and half times as fast as people speak or hear. That is why I prefer to read material, when I can, rather than watch videos. I rarely watch television or You Tube news. Instead I go to AP, Reuters, CTV, even Fox, CBC or CNN on the internet, as examples.

Of course, there is the additional factor of the amount of time wasted in video material by long-winded introductions, advertising and so on.

Why do so many people here prefer videos to written material?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.
I prefer video because I can listen to it while I do other things. I can’t read an article at work but I can download a whole bunch of podcasts and listen to them.

And yeah I think I donated a few bucks to them. Seem like decent folks and I enjoy the array of topics they will cover.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Anyway, good answer Bob.
I'd say that 'classical liberals' fit most closely with the descriptor 'libertarian'. But that's just my humble opinion.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I'd say that 'classical liberals' fit most closely with the descriptor 'libertarian'. But that's just my humble opinion.
Depending on what you read, that is somewhat true. When you really go down the rabbit hole, there are differences, but most people won't take the time to parse it out. It can get pretty thick, and there is a lot of history and philosophy involved. Fundamentally, they are quite similar I agree, but the terms aren't entirely interchangeable.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:35 AM

What I’ve seen of PragerU does seem conservative, but also logical. They might well have published things I disagree with, though I’ve certainly not read or viewed everything they’ve put out.

I do find myself taking positions on subjects that some might not think fits into where they’ve categorized me. For instance there is a lot of push back to all things pandemic from many, but I believe in medical science and separate that from the wide range of political reactions to the pandemic. You’ll not find me at an anti mask rally for instance, but at the same time I’d be pro CCW if it was allowed and if we also had courts that were sympathetic to citizens undertaking reasonable self defense.

It’s sad that things have become so politically polarized and there doesn’t seem to be any change pending on the immediate horizon, as both left and right sides have some good aspects, but both extremes also have some absolute garbage philosophies. I have seen at least one left wing anti masker, some health food section weirdo who had a long diatribe to tell the grocery store staff member who was tasked with requesting that the patron mask up.

The best change to not being frustrated by all this is probably less social media participation and consuming less ‘news’ media.