Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Auto Detailing

Is anyone else into this?

After reading the ceramic thread and starting a big paint correction/makeover on the wife's truck I figured I'd see if anyone else is into it?

I actually enjoy cleaning my vehicles and detailing/polishing even though its sometimes almost pointless living on a gravel road. I do find it relaxing and satisfying. I don't think I could ever do it as a side business or anything like that but it has kind of become a bit of a hobby for me lately.

Current set up I've been using is:

-Meguiar's clay
-Griots G9 DA Polisher
-5" lake country pads
-Griots BOSS fast correcting compound
-Griots BOSS Perfecting cream
-Mothers CMX spray "ceramic"
-Meguiars Gold wax.
-Chemical Guys Assorted micro fibre towels.
-Simonize Gas Pressure washer
-Bissell pro extractor

I was hesitant to use compounds for years after seeing a really bad job done with an orbital on a new black Lincoln but it's going pretty well for me so far.

Anyone else do this? What are you having good luck with?
Old 04-24-2021, 02:04 PM

Pretty similar set up. Run both 3” and 6” griots polishers. Like the meguiae compound more then griots. I prefer paint sealant then ceramic for stated reasons. Can get away with 2 per year. Never have to use a brush to pressure wash truck clean. Can’t say I get excited doing it lol but like the end result
Old 04-25-2021, 11:16 AM

I usually wax twice a year, spring and fall by hand. I've been thinking about getting a Polisher, Cdn Tire has a Simoniz 6" DA. 2500 to 6800 RPM. Are they any Good?
Any Tips, procedures etc to help out a rooky? I have a few scratches I'd like to remove. Thanks
Old 04-25-2021, 11:30 AM

Subbed. I don't understand what any of that stuff does, but with a new truck I'm willing to do anything that doesn't require using a dirty brush at the wash....the swirls/scratches on my old truck...they sure become obvious when you try to sell.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:54 AM

Something to be said for dual action polishers vs cutting into your clear coat by accident. Take a peek at auto obsessed. Lots of videos on the DA polishers. Reason why people buy em
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I usually wax twice a year, spring and fall by hand. I've been thinking about getting a Polisher, Cdn Tire has a Simoniz 6" DA. 2500 to 6800 RPM. Are they any Good?
Any Tips, procedures etc to help out a rooky? I have a few scratches I'd like to remove. Thanks
Old 04-25-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I've been thinking about getting a Polisher, Cdn Tire has a Simoniz 6" DA. 2500 to 6800 RPM. Are they any Good?
That's the one I use, seems to work well and it didn't break the bank, it came with a nice hard case to keep it in.

I also do a hand wax in the spring and lay it on extra thick in the fall, especially if the city is using that toxic swill Calcium Chloride

I REALLY enjoy detailing interiors, I really love the end result of a like new interior. I do a lot of interiors for friends, $100+ materials if they help and $150+ if they don't help.

Last summer a professional detailer turned me on to a GREAT interior product called Lexol. They have a few different products and they work AWESOME!

I HIGHLY recommend it, it makes interiors just shine like new and it dosent leave it greasy at all. What a Fantastic product (both of them)

Their leather conditioner works amazing on leather jackets and vests, again it shines and softens them up real good but dosent leave a greasy film.

I get mine at the big Honda dealership on the west end from the parts department, it's a little tricky to find anywhere else.

IMG_3271.jpg
Old 04-26-2021, 11:55 AM

Just finished a cut and polish on the wife’s Yukon XL. That was a long job.

The hard time I have with paint correction is deciding how far to go. After the swirles are gone and a few scratches left, it’s tough to not give it another pass but I don’t want to remove too much clear either.

Does anyone use a paint Thickness gauge?

I don’t have one but I figured since I still have lots of the factory orange peel left I should be safe for now.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:33 PM

I usually do my truck every spring and fall. It's a 2013 f150 and it really makes a difference in keeping care of the paint.

I use the mothers three stage process waxes that you can pick up at CT. A porter cable orbital polisher (7424xp). I picked up some products from Auto Obsessed in Edmonton but it can be expensive.

It takes me about 5 hours to do my truck.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:50 PM

I just did a big paint correction on the GF’s truck.

Started with rust above the wheel wells, turned into holes in the fenders and having to paint half the side box on each side.

I ended up using some body patches and bondo to fix it up.

Ended up wet sanding the entire box by hand from 600-3000 grit. The whole project took me 5 days.

Finished by picking up the 6” DA Simoniz polisher from CT, along with some Simoniz compound and ceramic wax. The compound sure worked good and got rid of the scratches and swirls. The paint on the box is like glass… it’s amazing. We will see how the wax holds up, but I’m not holding my breath, might start looking into a sprayable ceramic like the Meguiars.