Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Hoping someone remembers a crash that happened in the area west of Red Deer cop and north of Sundre. A small passenger plane disappeared in the winter months. I was a young kid and still have memories of the search. More to the story but that will come later.

Any suggestions where to look for the information? Sent an email to Transport Canada but haven't heard back yet.

This one ?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...lls-3-1.926643

Another crashed a couple of miles south of me about 2006. A home built disintegrated at altitude.

Yet another crashed near Leslieville. It was noteworthy because the emergency transponder notified the Russians, who contacted the Americans, who in turn notified the Canadians. The Leslieville fire dept. responded 6 hours later.

We were doing a trail ride out of Cut Off creek one time, when they were cleaning up plane wrecks from the West Country, because it was confusing search and rescue. They had quite a pile of them.

Grizz
Old 04-24-2021, 11:03 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
This one ?

Another crashed a couple of miles south of me about 2006. A home built disintegrated at altitude.

Yet another crashed near Leslieville. It was noteworthy because the emergency transponder notified the Russians, who contacted the Americans, who in turn notified the Canadians. The Leslieville fire dept. responded 6 hours later.

We were doing a trail ride out of Cut Off creek one time, when they were cleaning up plane wrecks from the West Country, because it was confusing search and rescue. They had quite a pile of them.

Grizz
Nope. I was seeking a C185. The same plane as the one missing from Fox Creek. Just another white Cessna work horse.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:32 AM

During ww2 young American pilots would fly planes to Edmonton then on to Anchorage Alaska. They crashed 100,s of them into the bush in Northern Alberta and Yukon. Lady Russian pilots would pick them up in Alaska and fly them to Russia to defeat Hitler.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:32 AM

Just another white Cessna work horse.

Search and rescue hate white planes, very difficult to spot in snow.

Grizz
Old 04-25-2021, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
During ww2 young American pilots would fly planes to Edmonton then on to Anchorage Alaska. They crashed 100,s of them into the bush in Northern Alberta and Yukon. Lady Russian pilots would pick them up in Alaska and fly them to Russia to defeat Hitler.
FWIW...Many of the young pilots that you speak of ..were women pilots, doing ferry service of these aircraft..These same planes were sold to the Russians, cuz the US fliers wanted nothing to do with them...The Ruskies did some mods. to them and they worked well for them...Sorry I don't recall the model of this plane but an interesting read on it...This same plane had cannon on it, that when fired....the recoil would almost stop the aircraft in flight...very exciting times....haha..I've experienced many things in a plane but this would top my list...
Old 04-25-2021, 12:31 PM
Gone Hunting

According to Wikipedia

"During the 21 months of the program, 7,983 aircraft were delivered to the Russians with only 133 lost to weather or pilot error.[5] Thirteen Red Air Force pilots were buried in the Fort Richardson cemetery.[3]"
Old 04-25-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
FWIW...Many of the young pilots that you speak of ..were women pilots, doing ferry service of these aircraft..These same planes were sold to the Russians, cuz the US fliers wanted nothing to do with them...The Ruskies did some mods. to them and they worked well for them...Sorry I don't recall the model of this plane but an interesting read on it...This same plane had cannon on it, that when fired....the recoil would almost stop the aircraft in flight...very exciting times....haha..I've experienced many things in a plane but this would top my list...
They were mostly P51s. They were flown by women to Montana and then by men to Alaska for the most part. https://coloradosun.com/2020/01/03/w...-byrn-rickman/
Old 04-25-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
They were mostly P51s. They were flown by women to Montana and then by men to Alaska for the most part. https://coloradosun.com/2020/01/03/w...-byrn-rickman/
Sorry, not many, check out this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rmy_Air_Forces

P 39s had the engine mounted behind the pilot and a 37 mm gun firing through the propeller hub, they were used in the Aleutians campaign as well along with the P 40s and B 26s.

Grizz
Old 04-25-2021, 06:31 PM

This sounds like the crash in question. They found one missing plane in a lake some years ago, it's one way to vanish off the face of the earth.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...h-39-years-ago

Grizz
Old 04-25-2021, 09:19 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
This sounds like the crash in question. They found one missing plane in a lake some years ago, it's one way to vanish off the face of the earth.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...h-39-years-ago

Grizz
They are going to check out the wreck that was tentatively identified as the one I was searching for, as this plane and it were nearly identical. Where it's at would make more sense to be the one from Fox Creek, than the one from Indian Head that I'm looking for. So I will let them spend some tax money double checking.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:43 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
This one ?

Grizz
The one you mentioned at Leslieville was actually right in my area as well. Back side of Old Baldy. Still parts of it there if you know where to look. It was also the area we were hiking and looking. It's just about 5 miles south of the old homestead in question. Along with several other high knobs in the Medicine Hills, it has caused problems for several others by suddenly rising up out of the fog.