Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2021, 09:41 PM

Default Yet another tire thread

Almost time to put away the winter tires, but before I do I need some new summer tires. Vehicle is a Mitsubishi Outlander; supposedly a SUV, but I think of it as a car with half decent clearance. 80% highway 20% city and 1% gravel . With it being mostly highway I am concerned with noise and fuel economy. In the past I have mostly used Michelin but I'm looking at options right now. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:48 PM
Banned

Get the run of the mill all season motomaster tire. If your running 80 percent hwy, go more towards a tire that does well with rain.

With that small rig, all seasons for summer and a winter set would be best imo...
Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 PM

Since you already have winter tires, I would look at the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife, excellent tires and a 140k treadwear warranty.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:47 PM

Thumbs up Tirebob !!

Contact AO's own "Tirebob". He will steer you in the right direction, ensuring you get what is best for your vehicle

Mr Conservation
Old 04-25-2021, 02:45 PM

Yep, as you are in Calgary, nobody else to talk to. Tirebob is your guy. Knowledgeable more then anybody on the topic, and very fair on pricing, and service is second to none.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-25-2021, 05:03 PM

tire bob is the guy. He did me right on 2 vehicles.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
tire bob is the guy. He did me right on 2 vehicles.
Definitely the way to go...
Old 04-26-2021, 10:25 AM
AO Sponsor

Hey! I can't believe I missed this thread! lol! Thanks for all the kind words gents... You are always good to me!

So as for tires, there are lots of different ways to go that will all do what you are asking to one degree or another, but there are variables that might make one tire a little more oriented towards your own specific needs more than another.

Maximum mileage is always a thing people think about, but then they forget to ask questions like "how far do I actually drive every year and how long do I keep my vehicles?" If you are someone who only drives 10,000km's a year total, maybe a 140,000km tire might be overkill as you will probably have that tire dry out before you wear, or if you are planning on getting a new car in a year or two is it really crucial to have a tire that will go so long?

Do you use winter tires in the winter or run all seasons year round? If you use winter tires for the winter, then you realistically are probably cutting the milage down on your summers by half versus year round driving so that can be something to think about. Also, if you use winters too then having the most aggressive all seasons maybe becomes less important, but maybe you like to stretch further into the fall and take the winter off earlier in the spring so you do deal with a bit of that shoulder season weather instability so you want a bit more traction levels.

Fuel economy is usually associated to the better wearing tires as simple physics dictates that the lowest rolling resistance will probably run the coolest and wear the longest anyways so this will play into what is discussed above, although in most standard all season tires that will be made for that type of vehicle will not have radical mileage differences, but if you drive a ton it can definitely save some cash long term, even shaving a few KM's off a tank. Pennies do add up to dollars over time!

Purchase budget is always important. By no means does one need to spend the moon to get something quite good, but there are always those who want the best, even if spending 20% more only makes a 5% improvement, and some always want the cheapest, even if saving 5% drops your quality 3 fold. The there is that happy middle ground where maybe it isn't the best or the cheapest, but the quality for dollar value is a sweet spot.

If you want to message me, or even better e-mail me at bob@urbanexp.ca, and give me a bit of an idea on some of these factors laid out above or any other things you are concerned about, I will always do my best to help!

Cheers!

Bob
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-26-2021, 11:43 AM

bob, please take the top ten of your helping post

put them on a couple of sheets of paper

sell the. For reading material in the waiting room of your store

then 15 minutes later TAKE THEIR MONEY

you have a good way with words and if taken together they answer almost all the questions I have ever seen or heard on tire selection

U DA MAN or transgender as the case may be

Later eh

just a thought, you say in 5 minutes what it takes most tire shops years to perfect